Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

yellow engine light indicator

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 AM
tambachito
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yellow engine light indicator

what does this mean? what can service center do to remedy it? any effect on the performance of the r56? has any one had this problem with just 7k miles? will appreciate any info!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Look in your manual it will explain ALL the different indicators. I say this because unless you actually take a picture of it we are not sure exactly which one it is as there are many different versions of it. I.E. just yellow, yellow with a line thru it, red, and then when it shows up with some other items or for just a brief second or two it means different things.

I.E. one of the engine looking lights come on every morning for just afew seconds in red. Basically I have gone past the oil change interval according to the computer. But I have my oil changed every 4K-5K so the light has just not been reset.

A solid yellow on all the time could mean you have a bad fuel pump, miss firing coil, and many other things.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:46 PM
tambachito
Neutral
Thanks so much, schatzy. It is a yellow engine indicator on all the time, with no line across it. Have secured a sked for a check up with the dealer, but am anxious to know the possible causes and the solution applied. Manual says engine malfunction with adverse effect on exhaust emissions. This does not really explain anything to me.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
So basically what you have showing is the general "there is a problem light".

There are way to many possibilities to list of what could cause this problem but i will list a few of the major ones.

1. High Pressure Fuel Pump - not pumping to a high enough pressure
2. Bad Mass Air Flow Sensor
3. Clogged Fuel Filter
4. Bad spark plug
5. Vacuum line leaking
6. Dirty Air Filter
7. loose or open fuel filler cap (gas Cap)
8. Bad Fuel Injector

These are just a few of what could be wrong. By using a ODBII scan tool and pulling out the code that is causing the light to come on could give a much more accurate diagnosis of the problem.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
Did you accidently turn off the DSC. That also turns the dreaded yellow triangle on.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
+1 on the engine emissions thing. I took mine in for a yellow CEL this morning. Another SA from my own called with not too many details on what was going on, but I'm also apparently getting a new thermostat which may have something to do with my coolant level being low. We'll see tomorrow, assuming it gets finished tomorrow!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
tambachito
Neutral
Thanks again, schatzy. You have at least given me some peace of mind. I just hope it is easy to fix. Zarote, no, not that yellow triangle light. I never touch that asc button. I just put the gear on D and go. Regards.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 PM
tambachito
Neutral
Good luck on the coolant thing!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:17 PM
TBangin23
4th Gear
I'm having that same issue right now. Was this complicated to get fixed? My MINI dealer is two hours away and obviously am a little scared to drive that far with the accuring issue. Would my local mechanic be able to do it you think? I just don't want them in too far over their heads, if that makes sense to you..

Originally Posted by thevelourfog
+1 on the engine emissions thing. I took mine in for a yellow CEL this morning. Another SA from my own called with not too many details on what was going on, but I'm also apparently getting a new thermostat which may have something to do with my coolant level being low. We'll see tomorrow, assuming it gets finished tomorrow!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM
tambachito
Neutral
it took 2 whole days to fix. they cleaned the injectors and adjusted the timing of the engine supposedly to make it more efficient. the light hasn't come back since. i suggest that you bring yours to the dealer asap for a diagnosis. not all cel warnings have the same remedy. good luck

Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TBangin23
I'm having that same issue right now. Was this complicated to get fixed? My MINI dealer is two hours away and obviously am a little scared to drive that far with the accuring issue. Would my local mechanic be able to do it you think? I just don't want them in too far over their heads, if that makes sense to you..
I think any local mechanics should be able to fix it, especially anyone dealing with bmw/mini. I think it should be an easy fix, probably just a PITA to get to. If you're out of warranty, I certainly wouldn't pay the dealer to do it.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
TBangin23
4th Gear
Well it wasn't the CEL light, it was the little yellow engine light. Ran a quick test on it and said it was the thermostat housing. So MINI of Allentown sent a flatbed to pick up the MINI. Got a nice 2011 Clubman as a loaner till the or process is done. They're doing that service, and looking for any other issue that could arise soon. So hopefully all will be great once I get the car back. Already missing having the turbo, didn't think there would be that big of a difference but damn, you can REALLY feel it. I told them to throw on some tint too since they have it. Looking forward to seeing that done too!