Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rattling, rattling, rattling

Old 09-24-2002, 05:57 PM
Bluegarvis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I absolutely LOVE :evil: :evil: :evil:

Old 09-25-2002, 06:59 AM
invaliduser
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If anyone out there has had their sunroof rattle fixed please let us know who fixed it and how they did it.

Old 09-25-2002, 07:30 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Yesterday, I shoved a many-times-folded Dunkin' Donuts napkin in the gap between the trim and the glass (just over my head)..and that did the trick. I'm figuring that my dealer can supply some very expensive and very cool MINI Motoring Accessory napkins (perhaps made from a psuedo-metalic space-age plastic). Or perhaps that's the real function of the motoring log I'm supposedly going to receive in the mail in a couple of weeks. If it's thick enough, I probably won't even have to fold it.

But seriously, I plan on making this item #1 on my first visit to service. I do hope that there's a known fix within the next couple of weeks.

Old 09-25-2002, 07:40 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
>>Yesterday, I shoved a many-times-folded Dunkin' Donuts napkin in the gap between the trim and the glass (just over my head)..and that did the trick. I'm figuring that my dealer can supply some very expensive and very cool MINI Motoring Accessory napkins (perhaps made from a psuedo-metalic space-age plastic). Or perhaps that's the real function of the motoring log I'm supposedly going to receive in the mail in a couple of weeks. If it's thick enough, I probably won't even have to fold it.
>>

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!

Smaller is better!

Old 09-25-2002, 08:11 AM
C4
Banned
The best solution to your Sunroof rattles, is not to get a sunroof at all!

Old 09-25-2002, 08:15 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Based on what I have been reading, the sunroof rattle seems like a Cooper S specific problem. I have a sunroof and have never heard a peep from it....all the people that have posted with rattle problems have the S model.

Old 09-25-2002, 08:39 AM
sirron
5th Gear
>>Yesterday, I shoved a many-times-folded Dunkin' Donuts napkin in the gap between the trim and the glass (just over my head)..and that did the trick. I'm figuring that my dealer can supply some very expensive and very cool MINI Motoring Accessory napkins (perhaps made from a psuedo-metalic space-age plastic). Or perhaps that's the real function of the motoring log I'm supposedly going to receive in the mail in a couple of weeks. If it's thick enough, I probably won't even have to fold it.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:20 PM
Pflashinaz
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well a wee bit of rattle just developed in the area of my sunroof. Have traced it down to the trim right above the drivers head. Funny thing, it doesn't make noise all the time, only just when I start out for about the first 30 minutes or so. When I get the MCS back from my daughter who's using it this week while her car is being repaired I'll look into it with perhaps a method to repair this annoying little noise.

Old 09-25-2002, 04:32 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's good to know I'm not alone on this. I have an MCS as well, and the same issue. Rattles like mad. After a few mild-to-hard fist poundings on the plastic piece that's around the sunroof controls, I found that opening the sunroof back just a bit tilts the sunroof enough forward to apply pressure on that area, thus reducing the rattle. But yes. I intend to get that fixd as well. I can barely hold a normal speaking level conversion with someone else in the car when it does that.
When someone comes to finding out a repair method given by their dealer, I'd appreciate muchly if you could pass on the solution/problem regarding that whole ordeal. Thanx.

Old 09-25-2002, 05:06 PM
dbwilldo
Coordinator :: Southern California MINI Maniacs
>>Yesterday, I shoved a many-times-folded Dunkin' Donuts napkin in the gap between the trim and the glass (just over my head)..and that did the trick.

Wondering if In-N-Out or Fatburger napkins would provide the same level of rattle stoppage...

Old 09-28-2002, 08:09 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Luckily, I opted to skip out on the sunroof (never been fond of the things), but I already do have an annoying rattle (It started with only like 130 miles on the car! ) right behind the steering wheel, somewhere deep within the darkest labyrinths of the dash. Anyone else having this problem?

Old 09-28-2002, 08:52 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
SarcuxKSU wrote:

>>Luckily, I opted to skip out on the sunroof (never been fond of the things), but I already do have an annoying rattle (It started with only like 130 miles on the car!

Old 09-29-2002, 07:41 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Thank you, Clover m'dear! *smooch* Ah shall do that.

Old 09-29-2002, 10:59 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had both the sunroof rattle and the dash rattle (along with the hatch rattle). Took my MCS in last week for it's first service and mentioned the extra noise. The service department found and fixed all the rattles. The dash rattle was from the hard plastic, under the window, rubbing against the soft plastic of the dash. They pulled it out and added more insulation and screwed it back down. For the sunroof rattle they removed the headliner and adjusted the molding around the window. And they just adjusted the rear latch to quell the noise.
At the same time I had them program the memory and fix the cold start issue.
All is fine now.

Old 10-08-2002, 08:12 PM
micky
Neutral
Hey
It's not just the S that rattles. My mini started rattling in the sunroof area. My husband's S isn't doing the rattle thing - yet... I just hope my dealer can fix it. I love my mini, but with the rattle and the squeaky seat (that they haven't been able to fix yet) I'm starting to feel like I'm driving a 10 year old car! I hope this isn't an ongoing issue.

Old 10-08-2002, 09:50 PM
SalMS
1st Gear
I'd noticed a small rattle behind me on very rough pavement, which I have since discovered was the license plate! Considering how hard the suspension is with the run-flats, it is a quiet car.

Old 10-09-2002, 01:57 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>
>>You may have a rattle in the "OBD Interface Socket," (see page 96 of the Owner's Manual), S. It is located on the driver's side, behind a cover located beneath the instrument panel. The cover has the letters "OBD" on it. This interface makes it possible to access data on emissions-related components using special equipment.
>>
>>I read in a thread several months ago, that someone's cover on this interface was loose, causing a maddening rattle -- check to see if this helps! Good luck!
>>

Yes, that was me, and Yes, that was maddening... esp when all it took to figure it out was to stick my head in the footwell and DOH, it was hanging down the whole time... but it DID sound like there was something major rattling...

Rocketboy_X

Old 10-09-2002, 05:27 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
sticky backed velcro works nicely you can stick the velcro to the back of the two flaps that pop up when the sunroof opens.

I did that to mine (per the suggestion of my local MINI service department) and the rattle is totally gone. :smile:

Old 10-09-2002, 04:44 PM
Tonygba
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same rattle from my sunroof... definitely coming from the two wind flaps... my first thought was to put som kind of felt thing where they meet the glass roof...

Red-on-Red MCS with Premium, Sport, Cold Weather and Black Panther leather! Wow, what a dream! Bummer in bumper-to-bumper traffic so I leave it home unless i'm working early and leaving late!

Old 02-04-2003, 07:18 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
Fixed the boot rattle by moving the latch mechanism down a little. This tightens the seal of the boot so it can't move around and rattle as easy. First, remove the plastic cover over the latch mechanism. Be careful prying the fasteners (they are plastic and plastic breaks). There are 3 little fasteners with "pins" that have to be removed first on the inside (facing away from the back of the car), and 4 large fasteners under the top of the plastic cover. Once that's out of the way, adjustst the latch mechanism. You'll need a torx driver for the bolts. Make sure not to move the latch too far down or else you'll have to slam the boot hard to catch the lock, or it may not even catch at all.
Do not put the plastic cover back in place until your sure the latch is adjusted properly.

Old 02-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Great idea orbhot !!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2003, 06:38 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
thanks for the tip and the picture orbhot.

The only rattle I have is the boot rattle, and I already told the dealer to fix it (of course he kept the car 6 days but he couldn´t do it). Looks an easy fix.

Rattles are so annoying. My other car has gotten quite a collection of them during the two year i´ve had it. I only see two solutions when dealers don´t fix them:

a) Turn up the volume and listen to some music
b) fix them yourself (and if you are not good at it you end up with some more)

What I have noticed is that many rattles appear in the morning when it´s cooler and dissapear later when it warms up. Guess the plastics dialate after a while

Old 02-19-2003, 06:55 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
I've got one strange rattle. It's behind me, but not the boot. it's in the left rear fender. I think that there is a took in there.. caus there was nothing there that I see that could rattle.. I think that once I have time.. I will dissasemble some things.. and figure what it is.. is there anything that I can check?

Thanks

Old 02-20-2003, 09:52 AM
6f7
4th Gear
I will dissasemble some things.. and figure what it is.. is there anything that I can check?
If you're sure it's not the front seatbelt height adjusters, try connecting and tightening the rear seatbelts.

Old 02-20-2003, 10:09 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>I've got one strange rattle. It's behind me, but not the boot. it's in the left rear fender. I think that there is a took in there.. caus there was nothing there that I see that could rattle.. I think that once I have time.. I will dissasemble some things.. and figure what it is.. is there anything that I can check?
>>
I don't know if this will help, but I had a big, obnoxious rattle...same place...that was most noticable at medium to low speeds on bumpy (typical) sidestreets. I couldn't figure it out 'til one day I put the rear seats down...no rattle!!! Yup, it was the seat latch on the driver's side. Since I've only had my car a few weeks (and wasn't ready to take it back to the dealer), I folded a 1.5 x 4" strip of felt over the rear seat catch and then latched the seat as normal. Rattle gone! In fact, I did both seats just for fun and the car's tight as a drum...for now anyway. I'll fix it more permanently someday, but I really don't fold the seats down that often, so I may forget about it 'til next scheduled maintenance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattling, rattling, rattling