Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivers door window dipper

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 AM
actasci
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
problem with my mcs 09 is it's utter ********. i thought everything is going perfect first time since 09, no squeals whatsoever, no engine rattling etc... and my windows was dipping, but somehow it's not dipping now. more frustrating thing is -probably many of you guys not having this- if you're in the car, windows closed, when you push the window with your hand (no need much pressure) it moves outwards and wind comes in. it's fking annoying.

my first guess was it may be about freezing temperatures. but i washed it with hot water and that wasn't a fix. i am sick of this car. absolutely sick.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See post 245

The software/firmware updates are the fix, but they do not solve the root problem. The root problem is the window gets frozen in place in cold weather. When you open the door, the window is unable to dip properly, causing it to be out of whack with the software/firmware instructions. From that point forward, it will not work correctly until it is reset again.

If you want to prevent the problem, you have to ensure your windows are not frozen in place when you open the door. I suggest a couple of medium smacks against the glass with the palm of your hand before opening the door. That is what I have been doing for two years now and the problem has not returned. Prior to that, I had the firmware updated and re-installed 4 times.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 AM
actasci
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Copywrites
The software/firmware updates are the fix, but they do not solve the root problem. The root problem is the window gets frozen in place in cold weather. When you open the door, the window is unable to dip properly, causing it to be out of whack with the software/firmware instructions. From that point forward, it will not work correctly until it is reset again.

If you want to prevent the problem, you have to ensure your windows are not frozen in place when you open the door. I suggest a couple of medium smacks against the glass with the palm of your hand before opening the door. That is what I have been doing for two years now and the problem has not returned. Prior to that, I had the firmware updated and re-installed 4 times.
so i have to take my car to the dealer, no other way?

where i live, it's -15 when i had to go to school. so i don't think there is any visible way to prevent this issue.

-i saw smacking later it is odd and actually quite logical.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
jjshoe
2nd Gear
I had this problem but it was the result of a module in the car thinking the door wasn't closed. Just one of many issues that resulted in me requesting and getting a dealer buy back.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Paul Doran
Neutral
Was having a driver side dipper problem as well as no Auto up. Turned car on, made sure the window was at the top first, dropped it to the bottom for 5 secs or so and then immediately to the top with NO pause in-between to the top for 5 secs. Fixed the dipper issue and the auto up issues. Right as rain (thank goodness because it was raining when i did it). Will monitor and let you know how it goes, but no trip to the dealer as of yet.

It has been raining a fair bit and a littler cooler 5*C before this problem seemed to happen, just for reference

Last edited by Paul Doran; 04-12-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 PM
JDPaddle
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. Thanks a mil to the forum. 1 hour from dealer �� the simple reset did it for me. Problem was dipped but no up after door was closed. 2013 clubman s. Bought new. 1 yr old. Yeah 20 degrees and below here for the last few weeks. All is right with the world now.

Last edited by JDPaddle; 01-31-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Ok, it has been a year since my last report and I am happy to say the window dip issue has not resurfaced. I religiously ensure the windows are not frozen in place before I open the door. This winter here in Boston, that is a check I have to make every morning. Overall, outside the window dip issue that seemed to drag on for quite some time, my 08' Justa has been remarkably trouble free for ~60k miles. No complaints.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:39 AM
Lynxblaine
Neutral
Hi

Has anyone who had this done out of warranty had to pay for the software to be initialized?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:57 AM
MiniShield
1st Gear
No Charge

I bought mine in way after warranty and did not get charged. Maybe because I had it in for an oil change and some other stuff.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:41 AM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My windows were dipping but not auto closing. Resetting fixed the glitch! Thanks so much!

Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Convincor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Copywrites
Ok, it has been a year since my last report and I am happy to say the window dip issue has not resurfaced. I religiously ensure the windows are not frozen in place before I open the door. This winter here in Boston, that is a check I have to make every morning. Overall, outside the window dip issue that seemed to drag on for quite some time, my 08' Justa has been remarkably trouble free for ~60k miles. No complaints.
What do you do before you open if they are frozen in place?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What ive noticed

Originally Posted by Convincor
What do you do before you open if they are frozen in place?
It’s not really the seal around the top and side of the window that’s freezing. In my case it’s the bottom seal with the chrome trim. Water and ice stay there and then the window sticks. What I do is take a plastic card, credit card or whatever of that nature and put it on between the seal and window then run it right across. Frees up the window and you can then open it up and it will dip.

The following users liked this post:
Convincor (01-16-2018)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:43 PM
Rob Rocheleau
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello,

Just to answer this old question. Out of warranty, I had to pay for 1 hour of diagnostic time @ $147 an hour. The total time at the dealership was 2.5 hours.

I brought in the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB SI M51 02 08) to request just the re-program on the window for the anti-pinch function. Prior to me providing the TSB, the advisor was suggesting the the window track might need to be replaced along with the motor. Stating that was the likely reason that the window was stuck down. Even though the window was fully closed by bumping the switch to tease it to a nearly closed tight position.

Just to add insult to injury, I tried several Mini dealers service online chats, and none of them returned my inquiry requesting to do a window re-program.

I tried the manual reset procedure twice as directed in the TSB and factory reset procedure. Finally, I had to give in. My next task will be to read up about the various software tools and cables available and see if this can be a DIY project for next time?

This is the text of "diagnosis":

CLIENT STATE THAT WINDOW IS STUCK DOWN HE NEEDS IT REPROGRAMMED
found window lost initialization
connected battery charger and interrogated fault memory
found fault codes stored for drivers window syncronization
performed visual inspection of window and operation of window,
found window anti trapping at up-most position.
performed test plan on fault code, re-synchronized drivers and passenger side power windows.
Found windows operating as designed. Tested several times.
Advise client to monitor. If window loses synchronization again there may be an issue that would need further diagnosis.

Hope this adds to the collective knowledge on the subject.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:51 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Rob,

I use the "Carly" app which diagnoses and can clear Mini codes. You need to buy an OBD2 adapter that plugs into your car, so the whole setup isn't cheap. Here is a link to their site https://www.mycarly.com/en/app/bmw/ .

It gives you an idea of what's going on with the car and may avoid costly dealer visits.

Greg

Old 08-31-2019, 04:54 AM
Rob Rocheleau
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gregsmini
Hi Rob,

I use the "Carly" app which diagnoses and can clear Mini codes. You need to buy an OBD2 adapter that plugs into your car, so the whole setup isn't cheap. Here is a link to their site https://www.mycarly.com/en/app/bmw/ .

It gives you an idea of what's going on with the car and may avoid costly dealer visits.

Greg
Thanks for the information. My end goal is to learn as much as I can about the car, so I can mini-mize the trips to the dealer (Pun intended)

Rob