Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

'03 MCS JCW SES codes P0107 P0130 P0420 P1688 EML limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:15 PM
leusgs
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 MCS JCW SES codes P0107 P0130 P0420 P1688 EML limp mode

My '03 JCW has the SES light on most of the time, and now it is frequently going into Limp mode with the EML light on.

My OBD reader shows the following codes:

P0107 - MAP circuit low input
P0130 - O2 Sensor 1
P0420 - Catalytic Efficiency below threshold
P1688 - Limp Mode

Anyone have any ideas regarding the cause? So far after scanning the web I have come up with the following potential problems:

1) BPV need replacement
2) TMAP sensor replacement (believe code P0107 refers to the MAP sensor on the intake??)
3) Check vac hoses - on fuel rail under intercooler; on top of BPV
4) Throtte body needs replacement
5) MAP sensor on supercharger inlet
6) Intercooler rubber couplers on bottom may be compromised.
7) Harmonic balancer cracked

I am beginning to take things apart, but would appreciate any advice!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:54 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Yeah, you've got problems. O2s and bat cats are pretty much the only things that lead to O2 and cat codes. Check the connections to the MAP sensor and O2s first. Cats and maybe O2s have to be covered to 80k so you might have warranty depending on your mileage - might be worth your time to take it in to a dealer to at least have it checked out.

http://www.epa.gov/obd/warranties.htm#1

Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
leusgs
Neutral
Thanks, can any of the above be eliminated as possible problems? I've pulled the Intercooler and all vaccuum hoses seem ok.

The BPV seems to be ok in the closed position and I am able to move the valve open and closed easily - no jamming or stiffness.

O2 and MAP wires and plugs are tight and dry.

One strange thing (I think?) is there were small pools of oil in the intercooler boots on both ends of the intercooler. It appears that oil is getting in the airstream thru the intercooler. One possibility is there is a ALTA oiled foam air filter and intake hose on this car. Perhaps the filter was over-oiled? To eliminate this possibility I mopped up the oil and put on a new K&N cone-style filter I had laying around.

I also disconnected the battery overnight to reset the ECU.

Next step is to put everything back together and see what happens. Something tells me there's more work to be done though.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 AM
raven9mm
2nd Gear
Were you able to get a resolution?
I am having the exact same issue; goes into limp mode on WOT, and is ok after restart, and DSC light is stuck on.

I have an 03 MCS, lightweight crank, 17% SC pulley, alta CIA, and Jan's RMW tune, and detroit tuned BPV, which has been installed for about 1 year.

P0107 - MAP circuit low input
P1688 - Limp Mode

checked all wiring, all is fine.
all vac lines are tight, and not leaking
I have NOT checked the BPV yet so I do not know if it is sticking

anyone else have any idea's?
Did you find anything out?

Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 AM
leusgs
Neutral
Miraculously, I was able to "repair" my issue. Here's what I did:

1) removed the intercooler and found there were small pools of oil sitting inside the cooler at the ends where the rubbers attach. I wiped out all the oil with a rag.

2) removed the ALTA foam air filter in favour of a K&N filter. I wonder if over-oiling of the ALTA foam filter resulted in mist of oil fouling up the O2 sensor and/or cat converter. The K&N eliminated this possibility.

3) unhooked the battery overnight to reset the ECU.

4) tapped on everything in sight with a hammer, including the O2 sensor, Cat, BPV, etc. You know you are running out of ideas when you begin this sort of activity. But sometimes it works.

The SES light or limp mode have not happened again! And to be safe, after a month of driving with no issues, I decided to sell this Mini.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:30 PM
e-mini-Austin
2nd Gear
Mine went to , I guess limp mode today--actually seemed to die a couple of times. Battery light came on twice and went odd . Code, only one, read 1688 as noted above. Battery is new, Alternator is new.

after a while she ran like normal.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
raven9mm
2nd Gear
Bump for me and e-mini... anyone else experiencing this code, that has found a solution?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Bad S
2nd Gear
My MINI is doing similar things

After having replaced the plugs, coil, and Map sensor mine still won't take hardly any throttle. However, whenever I try to give it some gas one or two things will happen. Push down on the gas pedal and then absolutly nothing happens for a few seconds and then BAM! The car recieves all the gas at once and take off like a bullet. Then there is the other times when you're trying to merge onto the interstate and you punch it hard to get out there and your are thrown into limp mode! All the lights come on and there you sit doing about 5 mph with a huge semi truck that's traveling around 85mph getting ready to slam into the back of you. It makes the car not so much fun to drive. BTW it also yo-yo's all the time that you aren't in limp mode

Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 AM
raven9mm
2nd Gear
I fixed mine! - not wanting to throw sensors at it, since I could not return them, I tried everything else first. Of couse when all was said and done, I took a code reader, and saw that map sensor was not giving any output. turning the car on and of 20-40 times, sometimes, it would start giving a reading. But 1-2 cycles of the key, and it would stop giving a reading, and if I drove it, it would stop giving a reading with in 500 ft, everytime. so, once it was getting a reading, I unplugged the map sensor, and still giving a reading, unplugged tmap sensor, and output stopped. put it back on, and it came back. (here comes the highly technical repair step) I whacked it with a small hammer a few times, and it has been fine! I will still replace it, since i know it is bad, just something wrong with it. Ahhh so nice to have trouble free motoring again!