Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 06:06 AM
MRH
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone else had trouble starting a MCS after cooling off overnight. The dealer says that some of the software used on MCS delivered ~ 2 mos. ago had an issue. I did not have any problems for the first 1500 miles.

Also, how do you rate your AC ? :???:

Old 09-10-2002, 06:18 AM
Thechandler81
4th Gear
first yes, i have cold start issues, but i belive it may be caused from the mini being on a slight incline (the driveway), which can drain the fuel system, usually it turns over the second time, but weird none the less. also i rate the ac poor. i just drove in a new hyundai elantra and that ac blew the mini out of the water, but i still love the mini overall.

Old 09-10-2002, 05:55 PM
shuck
Neutral
the fuel system should remain pressurized overnight. I have the same problems. It always starts on the second crank, but it chugs away on the first. My A/C works well, but first turn on the recirculating switch.

Old 09-11-2002, 05:51 AM
MRH
Neutral
My MCS with this issue usually takes about a minute of turning over to start. I only have this happen if the car has been sitting for > 8 hrs.

Old 09-11-2002, 06:33 AM
scoobs
3rd Gear
I'm wondering if our MINI representative can comment on this and if this is going to be corrected. Also, why isn't the AC cold enough to hang beef? I'm coming from a vehicle with no AC (since 1998) and darn well want a nice AC system. Thanks MINI, if you can respond.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Abused
1st Gear
I have been having the same problem starting my car in the cold mornings. I have had my Cooper S in the shop 4 times now. The have sent the DME out once, that solved the 4-6 times before starting problem, now my MCS will only start on the second try. They have replaced both fuel pumps, file pressure regulator, and fuel filter but it still will not fire up on the first try in the cold mornings. Winter is coming shortly and I’m starting to get very worried. Colorado can get pretty cold….. Is this a problem that we MCS owners will have to just deal with??? Does anyone else have a solution that my dealership has no idea about?

Old 09-23-2002, 06:47 AM
MRH
Neutral
Dealers in MA are waiting for software, version 3.1, which is supposed to fix this problem. They state that this has been an issue with all MCS sold here. BMW says that anyone with this problem is an isolated incident.

Old 09-23-2002, 07:46 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
My MCS almost always starts on the second try (sometimes the first). Since it has been very warm in Nothern California, about 60 degrees in my garage in the morning, I don't believe it's temperature related.

Old 09-23-2002, 08:41 AM
Dnvrmini
1st Gear
Does this happen to anyone with the Cooper? My Cooper sometimes starts on the 2nd try on cold mornings and will stumble while driving in the first block and almost stall. I have to stop and rev it up. A few times when warm I've had it stall on me completely. Just revved it up like I was going to take off, then traffic stopped again and it stalled when I pushed in the clutch and as the revs fell. Embarrassing that I have to restart a brand new car.

Old 09-23-2002, 08:56 AM
Abused
1st Gear
I just got back from the Dealership and they are now going to order me a new control module. So once I get that back I will let you all know if that was the problem...... :???:

Old 09-24-2002, 12:06 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
I took delivery at the begining of the month, and no problems.. no cold start issues either..

Rocketboy_X

Old 09-24-2002, 08:02 AM
FatBob
2nd Gear
i've had mine about three weeks, 1,300 miles and no start problems. It's been getting down around 50 degree at night so I suppose if it was going to have any problems it would be having them now.

FatBob
Electric Blue S

Old 09-24-2002, 05:28 PM
jingers
1st Gear
No issues, MCS, Pure silver,DOB,08,02. Everything works great! Purchased in Pennsylvania, dealer spent two hours with me explaning the car top to bottom before he let me leave the showroom! Concerning the cold start issue, does everyone with a stick know that you must engage the clutch in order to start the engine?

Old 09-24-2002, 05:41 PM
nashrunner
1st Gear
I have 1200 miles on my MCS. Yes to cold start problems. Sometimes grabs on the second crank. More often it takes 4 or 5 attempts. BMW told me they are waiting for software when I tried to schedule maintenance for this problem... :evil:

Old 09-25-2002, 02:14 PM
BrunoBMW
1st Gear
"S" model. Usually starts second crank. Dealer assured me new software will fix problem with fuel pump. Until then, I'm loving this machine. 3500 miles and still screaming...(only one ticket, so far...)

Old 09-25-2002, 11:55 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My MCS also has cronic cold start problems. Every morning I have to turn the electrical on and let it "warm up" before I turn it over. This usually means it will start on the second try.
My MINI is at the dealership now and this was one of the problems I brought up. They're telling me they cannot reproduce it! Come ON! It was happening every time I tried to start it in the morning.
If they don't have this fixed by the time I pick it up I'm going to be raising a stink.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
Someone posted this suggestion a while ago, but try putting your key in position 2 (I think...) for 5 to 10 seconds... this should build the pressure back up...

Rocketboy_X

Old 09-27-2002, 02:55 PM
jackson
Neutral
>>Dealers in MA are waiting for software, version 3.1, which is supposed to fix this problem. They state that this has been an issue with all MCS sold here. BMW says that anyone with this problem is an isolated incident.

mine started first time until around 3,500 miles. it wasn't temp. related, I don't think. Now it takes 2 tries, sometimes 3. I've always let the system coordinate for about 6-10 seconds anyway, from new, before starting.

Which dealers in MA? (mine is Peabody)

Old 09-27-2002, 09:40 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
I was at the dealership today talking with the service tech. They are aware of the problem they are waiting for the software upgrade. They called BMW and they said it had been shipped to the dealership. The tech was wondering if it was sent on the back of a snail cuz she still doesn't have it. She's been told that the dealerships on the East Coast already have the software.

When I lived at sea level it woul take two tries to start the engine, now that I am a mile high it sometimes takes SIX! Most of the time it takes four. I hope the software arrives soon.

Old 09-28-2002, 08:30 AM
WorldChallenge#7
2nd Gear
Mine is doing it now. Started perfectly for the first 500 miles, now in the past 350 miles it seems to be getting worse, sometimes taking 4 tries. I am eager to hear from someone who has had the update done.

Old 09-28-2002, 09:11 PM
Abused
1st Gear
I had the software upgrade done in Denver it fixed the 4-6 times. Now it is starting on the second try and even sometimes on the first try. I have had every fuel related part replaced but still no luck. Still waiting for my Control unit, should be in on 10-02-02. I will keep you all posted. If your cars are not starting up on the first try take it in to the dealer ship and have them send in you DME. My tech guy said that the reprogramming should solve 90% of the MCS with the cold start issue.

Old 09-29-2002, 11:03 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
OK, whats an "EMU"? When I brought my MCS in for it's first service and complained about the cold start issue they replaced the EMU?
Whatever they did it fixed the problem. It starts the first time, every time.

Old 10-02-2002, 12:39 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>Concerning the cold start issue, does everyone with a stick know that you must engage the clutch in order to start the engine?
>>>>

Stop it!!!

Old 10-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Abused
1st Gear
I think What you mean is the DME not the EMU.

Old 05-22-2003, 06:02 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Hey... reviving an old thread

Just took my MCS to the dealership where they reprogrammed the DME (what does this stand for, by the way? After 3 days without my Ollie I was too frazzled to remember to ask for such details ). It was reprogrammed because of the cold start problem and the accompanying stumble engaging 1st and lurching while in first. Anyway, I picked him up (happiness is a returned MINI) and now I SWEAR the engagement stumble is worse. Since I was driving my mothers ancient Saturn while he was in the shop (automatic) I am giving it a few days to get reacquainted with the clutch. But I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this decline in performance. His acceleration post-stumble is FAR better, but I'm annoyed by the tripping. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: cold start issues