Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MCS Computer System Problem, What would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 03:25 PM
jkrstic
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 03 Electric Blue MCS was dropped off yesterday (Tuesday) for service to repair the common cruise control malfunction problem. This happens to be the 3rd visit. At the 1st visit, they couldn't fix it, they needed to order the diode. Took the car in the following week for 2nd visit to have the diode installed. The diode didn't fix the cruise. They kepted my car for three days trying to fix the cruise control. The diode should have resolved the problem but didn't. They even called the technical folks at MINIUSA for advice on fix. The service consultant said, practically everyone working in the service deparment was under the bonnet to see if anyone had any idea why the diode didn't work.

On the 3rd day, the consultant called to advise me that the cruise could not be fixed and that the entire computer system in my car would need to be replaced (last week). They order the computer system for installation this week so I dropped my car off yesterday morning. Yesterday late afternoon the consultant called and asked that I keep the rental for another day, the technician needed more time.

My service consultant called me today just before noon, I knew by the sound of her voice, it wasn't good news. The new computer system did not fix the problem. She told me they are ordering a 2nd computer system to install tomorrow (Thursday).

This is what I think will happen:

1. The new computer system will arrive tomorrow
2. The technician will install new system and check
3. He will need some more time with the car again
4. The consultant will call me tomorrow afternoon and tell me he will need more time and that I will need to keep this "GOD AWFUL" rental for another day.
5. On Friday, the consultant will call and tell me that the 2nd computer system did not fix the problem and then will engage me in discussion on next step to take.

They have provided a rental for all of the visits, so I am happy about that but the rentals have much to be desired, 1st visit rental - Ford Focus, 2nd visit rental - Dodge Grand Caravan, 3rd vist (this week) - Mercury Sable - yuck!

I also had the stumbling/hesitation/lurching problem in first gear. They seem to think that the new computer system would resolve this problem.

I want my car back, I really miss it.

What would you do in my situation?? :evil:

GiGi

Old 07-16-2003, 04:06 PM
brgfan
4th Gear
Well, if replacing the computer doesn't fix the problem, the computer is probably OK. Maybe you could have them keep the computer and swap the rest of the car.

Seriously though, sorry this is such a hassle for you. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-16-2003, 05:15 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
outstanding advice, brg!

Old 07-16-2003, 06:15 PM
jkrstic
1st Gear
Thanks Brg, will keep you posted. I will hear tomorrow.

GiGi

Old 07-18-2003, 08:20 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
jkrstic,
what are the symptoms of your cruise control malfunction?
Markus

Old 07-21-2003, 03:11 PM
jkrstic
1st Gear
Markus,

When I took delivery of my MCS in May 2003, I gave the cruise control a go to check out all of the new features. At first attempt, the "green" cruise control light blinked twice and went off. I attempted several times only to get the double flash without the cruise engaging. After a couple of days and several attempts, the green flashing light no longer flashed.

The cruise control is finally working. Picked my car up last Thursday. They had ordered a second computer system to install because the first one didn't fix the cruise problem but lucky for me, the BMW Technician from HQ just happended to be at MINI of Towson that afternoon and the technician working on my car asked him to take a look and see if he could figure out the problem. The BMW tech figured the problem out that Wednesday afternoon and I got to pickup my car on Thursday.

I now question the compentancy of the MINI technician. It seems the MINI is new here in the US, the technicians are newly trained and haven't had time to develop expeirence and knowledge.

Anyway, the crusie is fixed but the stumble/lurching is still occuring. The technician seemed to think the new computer system would cure the stumble, he was wrong. I called the MINIUSA rep today to voice concern and asked if there was any information on fix. There is currently no fix yet and BMW is still working on it.

On a side note: I have not been happy with the customer service at the service department. My technical consultant was great but when I picked up my car, it was dirty on the inside. The windows were smudged, my leather seats had white stuff dried on them along with finger prints on my anthricite dash. They didn't even bother to give it a quick wash. Had better customer service at Honda when I oned one.

GiGi

Old 07-21-2003, 03:52 PM
brgfan
4th Gear
>>On a side note: I have not been happy with the customer service at the service department. My technical consultant was great but when I picked up my car, it was dirty on the inside. The windows were smudged, my leather seats had white stuff dried on them along with finger prints on my anthricite dash. They didn't even bother to give it a quick wash. Had better customer service at Honda when I oned one.

Its understandable that some technicians may still be in the learning curve for the MINI, and the stumble is a known problem for a lot of folks, although I haven't had much trouble with it on my MCS.

But as for the quality of service!!! There's no excuse for that. Complain to the dealership, and complain to MINI/BMW. I know that MINI is putting a lot of pressure on the dealers to provide good service. I'm sure they'd want to know about something like this.

Old 07-21-2003, 04:05 PM
m5vr6m3mcs
1st Gear
Disconnect the battery, then re-connect. This will fix the cruise control.

Old 07-23-2003, 07:19 AM
jkrstic
1st Gear
>>>>On a side note: I have not been happy with the customer service at the service department. My technical consultant was great but when I picked up my car, it was dirty on the inside. The windows were smudged, my leather seats had white stuff dried on them along with finger prints on my anthricite dash. They didn't even bother to give it a quick wash. Had better customer service at Honda when I oned one.
>>
>>Its understandable that some technicians may still be in the learning curve for the MINI, and the stumble is a known problem for a lot of folks, although I haven't had much trouble with it on my MCS.
>>
>>But as for the quality of service!!! There's no excuse for that. Complain to the dealership, and complain to MINI/BMW. I know that MINI is putting a lot of pressure on the dealers to provide good service. I'm sure they'd want to know about something like this.

Thanks Brgfan,

I think I will complain to the dealership and MINIUSA regarding their poor customer service.

GiGi
:smile: