Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Finally SATISFIED:):):)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 04:44 PM
scoobs
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry...didn't know where else to post this. My 1PHATS was built March 2003 and I've been following the threads/posts for performance issues, suggestions, blah blah. Here's what I've experienced since April.
1) Hummm....had the 'second-startup-every-time-when-engine-cold' issue. I switched to Chevron's 93 Octane. The very next day it started up first time and has since then (it's been 1 1/2 weeks now).
2) Slow off the line. Several instances where I needed to merge into traffic from a stopped position and felt in danger as the rpms weren't there. Took the plunge and purchased a Green Filter....installed yesterday. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No bog....instant performance....better gas mileage with it (took trip today) and/or the Chevron gas.
3) Had Kleen Wheels brake dust shields installed latter part of April. Absolutely fantastic! No noticeable dust on wheels. I'm a fanatic on clean vehicles and this fits me just perfectly!!!! :smile:

On balance....I LOVE this car and am completely satisfied at this point with her!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 07-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
I'm not sure if i'm dumb or what, but what is this green filter you speak of. Details ?

Old 07-13-2003, 07:55 PM
scoobs
3rd Gear
>>I'm not sure if i'm dumb or what, but what is this green filter you speak of. Details :smile: :smile:

Old 07-13-2003, 07:57 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
Thanks scoobs

Old 07-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
Just looked at the Turner website and I'm very impressed at what they say about the product and the price. If it works as well as you said, wow! Does it really add more power? What made you choose this filter amongst others?

Oh ya, I got the Chevron Techron b/c ppl in another thread said it works (+ I don't have a chevron gas station around here). It fixed my problem. When I went from R out of the garage to D, my MINI would MAD jerk. Now it's gone.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
And another thing, do you think its better that this one from MOSS http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=36604 ?

Sorry about the ?'s (I write them as I think about them), but I'm now trying to decide which to get. Probably leaning towards the Green like you.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:49 PM
ChuckS
1st Gear
what about this GREEN filter vs a K&N

any ideas? or is it worth it to shell out the biger bucks for a full cold air intake?

Old 07-14-2003, 04:46 AM
scoobs
3rd Gear
>>And another thing, do you think its better that this one from MOSS http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=36604 ?
>>
>>Sorry about the ?'s (I write them as I think about them), but I'm now trying to decide which to get. Probably leaning towards the Green like you.
Coop & Chuck:

Yeah...I wrestled with the K&N vs Green. I think somewhere I read, or gained a mental impression, that the Green was the easiest install/drop-in filter. I finally told 'self just go for it (I was tired of wrestling with the choice). I ordered it online and received it several days later by UPS ground (you can track it the entire time). It took me 5-10 minutes only. VERY easy!!!! (if I had the patience, I would have removed the plastic thingy covering the intercooler...but, hummm...I simply removed the two screws towards the front of the airbox, unclipped the battery post on the left side, and lifted the airbox up. Removed the old filter, replaced with the Green filter---perfect fit I might add---and refitted the airbox.)

Of course, I had to try her out immediately. Wow!!!! I'm a happy camper!!!! :smile: Just go for it!!!

Old 07-14-2003, 04:47 AM
scoobs
3rd Gear
>>And another thing, do you think its better that this one from MOSS http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=36604 ?
>>
>>Sorry about the ?'s (I write them as I think about them), but I'm now trying to decide which to get. Probably leaning towards the Green like you.

WHOOPS!!! Sorry about the double post...I couldn't delete!

Coop & Chuck:

Yeah...I wrestled with the K&N vs Green. I think somewhere I read, or gained a mental impression, that the Green was the easiest install/drop-in filter. I finally told 'self just go for it (I was tired of wrestling with the choice). I ordered it online and received it several days later by UPS ground (you can track it the entire time). It took me 5-10 minutes only. VERY easy!!!! (if I had the patience, I would have removed the plastic thingy covering the intercooler...but, hummm...I simply removed the two screws towards the front of the airbox, unclipped the battery post on the left side, and lifted the airbox up. Removed the old filter, replaced with the Green filter---perfect fit I might add---and refitted the airbox.)

Of course, I had to try her out immediately. Wow!!!! Yes....more and quicker (grammatical construction???) power I'm a happy camper!!!! :smile: Just go for it!!!

Old 07-14-2003, 05:40 AM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
can you link me to the green filter on the tuner motorsport website because either i'm still sleeping or i'm just really dumb cause i can't find it...

Old 07-14-2003, 05:49 AM
Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear
>>can you link me to the green filter on the tuner motorsport website because either i'm still sleeping or i'm just really dumb cause i can't find it...

did you type turner or "tuner"?
www.turnermotorsport.com/html/index.asp look under intake and exhaust.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear
www.greenfilterusa.com/

their main website.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Lakesands
2nd Gear
Does this Green filter come with a cleaning kit also? What can you tell us about cleaning it? How, how often etc. Looks like a good product, just want all the info. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:58 AM
SugarBelly
3rd Gear
GREEN

Linky to the MCS filter, - click into "Intake & Exhaust" & you'll find it at the bottom of the page.

It looks decent & scoobs' recommendation is superb, - yet, it's more than 25% of the cost of the Cold Air Intake offered by RandyBMC (sans silicone tube @ $199). I good deal if you don't expect to upgrade the filter further.

-sb

Old 07-14-2003, 06:03 AM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
ah thank you.. i was on the right site just not in the right section. so is this easy to install?

Old 07-14-2003, 06:12 AM
Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear
>>ah thank you.. i was on the right site just not in the right section. so is this easy to install?

if its the drop-in you're interested in, pretty easy. a lot easier than the pregnant manequin cabinet.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:13 AM
scoobs
3rd Gear
>>ah thank you.. i was on the right site just not in the right section. so is this easy to install?

I'm kinda paranoid about 'tinkering' with my new MCS. Now, my old 1978 CJ7 jeep, I'd be changing out hoses, starter, etc. and never give a thought about it. The MINI...hummm...it's new, it's a rolling computer, blah blah. Unless it's something simple, NO WAY am I going to operate. I asked Jason Early (think that's his name) at Turner Motorsport about the installation and he assured me it was a snap. Someone else reported on MCO (can't remember the thread/post) as to how to install the Green filter. I felt confident that I could do it. No one knows me...but, 'trust me,' it is a breeze to drop in. And, yes, they offer a filter cleaning kit which I'm going to order. 1PHAT S now runs so great, I'm not having any issues that I need the dealer to address. The 'second start' problem has been cured (that went away when I began using Chevron, but the Green might have cured it as well), the 'bog' when starting out in first has disappeared; I have noticeable increased horsepower (just a 'feeling' I get), and she just feels like she's been liberated. Very nice!!! Hope this helps. :smile: :smile:

Old 07-15-2003, 07:54 AM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
Actually to add to your debating problems, a drop-in K&N would be just as easy to install as a drop-in green filter. The K&N air intake would be a little harder but both companies have a drop-in filter.

Old 07-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks a million! I'm excited that this may be a solution for 'the stumble' even
before a computer fix arrives....and the cost is super. Ordered a green filter today and will report on the results.

Old 07-15-2003, 10:53 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
Hi Scoobs, or anyone with input

I haven't seen a Chevron dealer in my usual daily commute. Stopped in a store and they had Chevron fuel injector cleaner w/techron. Is this what I want ? For some reason I was looking for a fuel treatment ? Or is it any of there products with Techron that will help ? Seems odd to put cleaner in a brand new car .....

Thanks ....

Old 07-15-2003, 10:57 AM
scoobs
3rd Gear
gmack:

Didn't they simply have Techron? The Green Filter should also help lots!!! :smile: :smile:

Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 AM
skokiedude
1st Gear
Hey sweet tip scoobs! I checked out the website and will be getting some green too! Have to try to locate one of the cheveron stations though...they are kinda rare, or I just haven't noticed.

Thanks!

--Rick

Old 07-15-2003, 11:28 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
Scoobs,

No, but this was just a Meijer's. I wanted to confirm with someone before I headed to the auto parts store. So I am looking for straight "Techron" fuel additive/ treatment ? ops:

Old 07-15-2003, 01:38 PM
scoobs
3rd Gear
>>Scoobs,
>>
>>No, but this was just a Meijer's. I wanted to confirm with someone before I headed to the auto parts store. So I am looking for straight "Techron" fuel additive/ treatment ? ops:

Gmack:

You actually want Techron Concentrate (black bottle), since you're not regularly using Chevron's fuel. The Concentrate will 'clean' you quicker. It's possible(?) that, if you don't have Chevron stations around, Exxons or Amaco(sp) may have techron in their fuel. Regular users of Chevron's fuel don't need the techron additive because techron is in all octanes offered. Hope this helps. Definitely, go for the Green!!!!

Skokiedude:

See above. Not sure about Meijer's...it possible. The Green may help cure all!!!!

Old 07-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed a green filter in my '02 MCS this morning and the stumble has mostly disappeared.....smoother performance especially at low rpm's. I learned today that Mini of the Main Line now has the 34.0 fix and made an appointment for July 29. They say it completely solves the problem. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Finally SATISFIED:):):)