Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need everyone's help: blazing HOT bonnet problem MINI/BMW won't fix!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
svjj
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by accordselux
Mine is very hot, and the clearshield is starting to bubble a bit right above the hood scoop as a result. If it gets any worse I'll have to take it in.
I have the same problem!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by n733lk
How many miles? What city do you live in?

Thanks.
10k. Columbus, OH

but i guess ive only owned it in a few really hot days at the end of last year... been winter ever since

Old 03-15-2009, 07:50 AM
danielo
4th Gear
Well, the 1st few times i brought up the warped bonnet hood issue with the service manager, he claimed i dented it when i was washing it. Recently he got retrenched (yay!) and i mentioned the scoop again to the new service manager, he ordered a replacement straight away (comes to show how certain people treat others).

My MCS R56 also got the 'T' check valve installed during an oil service, BUT my car still weeps! I'm hoping to buy 1 more check valve ot mount just before the 'T' check valve. Hope it will solve the problem.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:53 AM
danielo
4th Gear
Well, the 1st few times i brought up the warped bonnet hood issue with the service manager, he claimed i dented it when i was washing it. Recently he got retrenched (yay!) and i mentioned the scoop again to the new service manager, he ordered a replacement straight away (comes to show how certain people treat others).

My MCS R56 also got the 'T' check valve installed during an oil service, BUT my car still weeps! I'm hoping to buy 1 more check valve ot mount just before the 'T' check valve. Hope it will solve the problem.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by danielo

When I had the check valve service bulletin installed on my 07, they were 2 separate valves mounted near the nozzles, not one mounted in the T.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:40 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
10k. Columbus, OH

but i guess ive only owned it in a few really hot days at the end of last year... been winter ever since
GO BUCKEYES!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
danielo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
When I had the check valve service bulletin installed on my 07, they were 2 separate valves mounted near the nozzles, not one mounted in the T.
Did the your fix work?

I would think having a valve at each nozzel would work better then that single valve at the 'T'.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Did the your fix work?

I would think having a valve at each nozzel would work better then that single valve at the 'T'.
My 08 came with one valve at each nozzle and have had no problems

Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 AM
danielo
4th Gear
Already mentioned it to the dealer today. Let's see what they come up with.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did the your fix work?

Yes. That fixed it. They have one for the rear nozzle as well if that one is leaking too (mine was not).

Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM
yubman
2nd Gear
Has anyone had any paint issues due to the heat?

I'd read on another thread about someone who has a melted valve cover using the M7 Turbo shield. That amout of heat has got to be bad for the hood paint.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
Has anybody seen any Definitive comparisons between the effectiveness of the Way Wrap v. the M7 Shield to help reduce under bonnet temps???

Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 AM
yubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by n733lk
Has anybody seen any Definitive comparisons between the effectiveness of the Way Wrap v. the M7 Shield to help reduce under bonnet temps???
The M7 looks to contain the heat, but if something happens to the airflow it looks like it can melt your valve cover.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eatshield.html

You'd think they would be able to modify the ECU to run the fan and oil supply to the turbo for a few more minutes after shutdown to better disapate the heat.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to retro fit a small fan with a temp sensor that comes on after shutdown to blow the hot air out of there...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 AM
paulteix
1st Gear
Hi peops, i have the same prob (clubman s from april 09) and last week my dealer changed the scoop. he contacted the headquarter of mini in munich to show them, that this problem really exists and he asked me to get pics as much as possible. so if you help, perhaps this problem will be solved in the near future...

please send me the pics of the melted scoop to "p.teixeira@arcor.de" i will keep you informed about it

greets from old germany, paulo

p.s. mini-minich said to this problem: "oh, never heard of it..."

Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Other cars don't even shield the turbo, but then again they don't have a plastic scoop right above the turbo...

Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
add me to the list of warped bonnet scoops, 7600 miles, 2009 MCSa with a JCW kit. It warped right where the scoop meets the upper part of bonnet. getting it replaced NQA.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:52 PM
gunflash
2nd Gear
my scoop on my JCW has now started to sag........looks like a dent and so to all you who say dont touch the hood if it is HOT then that is a separate issue but when you have to cough up $350 to replace a warped scoop surely this is a desigh failure and mini should provide a new scoop plus paint job and a heat deflector.
Also a long with this I noted my valve cover is cracked near the scoop and believe this to be due to excessive heat.....I am off to the dealer tomorrow to point out these defects and why I should pay out $300 for the valve cover plus $350 for scoop and labour unless I do the job myself when it's a design problem...over to you people that say don't touch the hood / bonnet,wait until you start paying out!!

Last edited by gunflash; 08-08-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 PM
minipro1
1st Gear
Had the same thing happen to my scoop. Dealer should replace in as long as you have warranty. Mine was replaced with no questions asked.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:10 PM
gunflash
2nd Gear
warped scoop

Going back to see the dealer tomorrow,took it in for service for oil change etc and pointed it out and as it is out of warranty April 13 they said that I would have to pay for it...$350
Drove the car today after service and an orange engine light appeared and was diagnosed to a small crack on valve cover,which I attribute to the heat as the crack is located at the front corner near the scoop?
So in all the cover will cost me $300 plus scoop plus labour ....too much money for a design flaw.
Question the hood has a black mat under the scoop is this the heat shield provided by mini as the tech said I had a heat deflector and if this is it there is even more reason to complain
cheers Nigel

Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last year I read about this problem on here and took my 2008 MINI S to the dealer and told them I wanted it fixed. They gave me a loaner for two days and called me when it was ready. They put on a new scoop and under the hood a new black mat and a silver metal shield free of charge. It's too bad your dealer won't try to help you with this since it's so close to being out of warranty.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 AM
gunflash
2nd Gear
going to the dealers tomorrow for my engine light problem and have copied and pasted your input and will present it to them and see how they handle the scoop issue.....really at my tether with this car although I enjoy it I am worried at the amount of money I will put into it to offset the enjoyment.
i now have a noisy timing chain and can maybe get rid of ot by adj the tensioner but if it is at the end of its travel then it will need a new chain......and so it goes on ??

Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
Hmmm. My black stripe is turning brown and bubbling, right over the scoop on my 2012 MCS. Looks like I have this problem, at least to some degree. While I wait for a call back from my dealer, to see what they'll do for me, is there a linky to directions for removing the scoop? I could do the cheap and dirty mesh replacement myself, but I don't know how to get started with removing the scoop.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:00 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
If it's still under warranty they should repair it for free - at least that's what they did on my 2008 last year.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM
gunflash
2nd Gear
Heres the scoop!!

I took my JCW back to the dealer complained and they said out of warranty in April buy a $104 primed one on the internet and told me who they used to spray there parts?
Decided to speak to mini headquarters and told one of the reps about the problem and he told me maybe it was a hot day!
Of course I was up for the discussion and said it was a design fault as it gets very hot under the hood with the turbo running and on the newer models you have introduced a heat shield so there is a design flaw and you should be doing a recall as one can read about this problem all over the internet.
It has been approx 2 weeks and I have not had a call from my dealers (he said he would contact them) so I will wait until after the holiday and be calling him back and asking why the delay,as well as my dealer.
Up to now not impressed with an ongoing problem that mini owners have to fix themselves when out of warranty when the fault lies with mini......make a scoop that withstands heat .....this argument will go on until I get a resolve!

Last edited by gunflash; 08-29-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gunflash
I took my JCW back to the dealer complained and they said out of warranty in April buy a $104 primed one on the internet and told me who they used to spray there parts?
Decided to speak to mini headquarters and told one of the reps about the problem and he told me maybe it was a hot day!
Hot day my *** - it's because of the heat from the Turbo - that's why they are willing to fix all the ones that are brought to their attention while they're still under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need everyone's help: blazing HOT bonnet problem MINI/BMW won't fix!