Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need everyone's help: blazing HOT bonnet problem MINI/BMW won't fix!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
kopov
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Hi everyone,

I started a similar thread in the Mini2 forums and as suggested by others, thought I should re-start one here with concise directions on how to test your MCSm for the problem.

Many '07 MCSm owners are not aware that their bonnet area just above the scoop can reach temperatures of 235F. This was measured with an IR temp gun. I have also used a temperature probe to verify the temperatures just inside the scoop. It has reached 280F .

Some owners have begun experiencing warped/melted/deformed scoops due to this extreme heat issue. I am experiencing the weeping washer jets issue. Both of these problems are being caused by the ridiculous amount of heat under the bonnet after the car is parked. My scoop is the newer model grill that has every other column open.

The bonnet gets hot enough to cause second degree burns. It is important to follow all the steps outlined below. Here are the conditions and how to test you MCSm:
  1. Drive you Mini for 10 minutes or more.
  2. Park your Mini, turn off the engine.
  3. Remember to exercise extreme caution when touching this area of your bonnet as you can be BURNED.
  4. Initially check bonnet, 1/4 inch above the center of the scoop (where the scoop ends and bonnet begins again.) It will only feel slightly warm at this time.
  5. Wait 5 minutes and check the same area again, it will be hot.
  6. Check again each subsequent minutes after that.
    The temperature continues to increase until peaking as high as 235F.
Please take into account the environment you are testing in. It is most noticeable while parked in a garage, with no air movement. Depending what direction your car is facing, if it's a nice breezy day, your temperature results may be much lower.

My temporary solution, until Mini/BMW acknowledges and resolves this problem, is to use a desk fan in the garage to keep the temperatures from breaking 200F.

I don't know if this is only affecting US MCSm's or other countries as well. Mini/BMW has been aware of this issue, as it was reported on NAM 7 months ago. Yet they have done nothing to resolve it.

The cause of the weeping washer jet is easy to identify. During a drive, use your washer jets. When you park, verify there are no fluid stains on your bonnet. By the time you get to step 6, from the steps outlined above, your washer jets will have begun weeping down your bonnet. Water boils at 212F. The temps under my bonnet are reaching 200-300F. The water is expanding (or steaming) out of the washer lines due to this heat.

The Mini/BMW techs I have spoken with indicate that Mini/BMW will most likely come out with a check valve to resolve the weeping washer jet issue. That does not address the heat issue.

All that is required is for Mini/BMW to update the ECU software to run the coolant fan and turbo water pump longer after the vehicle is shut down. A check valve may also be required for the washer jets, but not by itself.

'07 MCSm owners need to start making more noise regarding this extreme heat issue.

Any family member, adult, child or passerby that may happen to touch your bonnet in the “hot zone” will surly burn themselves.

Please bring this problem to you service advisor's attention and demand that Mini/BMW fix this problem.

Also, please report this safety issue to NHTSA if it affects your Mini.

Thank You, and be careful.

RESOLUTIONS
10/12/07 - Regretfully had a check valve installed to stop washer jets from weeping.
10/12/07 - Dealer ordered new fender trim due to permanent cosmoline stain.

Same exact problem here. Very hot under the hood and leaking washers

Old 02-05-2008, 07:25 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had weeping washers for a week or so after I picked up the car. I haven't seen them since. The only possible explanation that I can think of is that the lowered fluid level keeps the fluid from boiling over and out of the jets.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:36 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by COOP310
I had weeping washers for a week or so after I picked up the car. I haven't seen them since. The only possible explanation that I can think of is that the lowered fluid level keeps the fluid from boiling over and out of the jets.
Not so sure about that. I tend to keep the thing overfull because I use the washers so much. I did this not knowing about weeping washers, and I've never had a problem.

I think it's a good car/bad car kind of thing.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
korby
6th Gear
I gave up caring about it .I figure if the scoop melts or the paint peels theyll fix it .I dont use the washer it makes spots all over my clean car .

Old 04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
mteahan
1st Gear
I have cosmiline dripping in four places from the hood onto the fenders. I looks like my cars is crying, actually; very odd.

It doesn't come off in the wash and I have had to polish it out once already on the front and haven't addressed staining on the fender skirts yet. THe dealer couldn't wash it off either and hed to run it to the detail shop for a second work over. Still there though.

With 2700 miles, the service advisor's reply was to 'hope it stops pretty soon, there's nothing they can do." They did write a warranty ticket, though, to make sure BMW pays them for not being able to fix it. I suppose the solution is to steam clean it in some way, but if the real source is a red hot turbo, that might be a worry.

Curious though, are cars with hot running turbos having different fuel economies than once that aren't experiencing a problem? I expect mine to improve as I approach 4k miles, but I am getting numbers that seem a little low compared to others and I wonder if a hot turbo might be related. I am getting 28.6 with almost all highway driving and the Sport button off. Fast highway driving, to be fair; it is California.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mteahan
Curious though, are cars with hot running turbos having different fuel economies than once that aren't experiencing a problem? I expect mine to improve as I approach 4k miles, but I am getting numbers that seem a little low compared to others and I wonder if a hot turbo might be related. I am getting 28.6 with almost all highway driving and the Sport button off. Fast highway driving, to be fair; it is California.
Mine runs hot as I would expect but no scoop warping... yet. I get great gas mileage, I average 38 in highway driving with the sport switch on.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:51 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
It is very funny to me that in summer we complain about the hot hood and in winter we complain about the cold rattle.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
my new replacement hood scoop is finally at the dealer. they covered my warped scoop under warranty. they also installed the washer check valves and I have not had the weeping issue since then.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 AM
minicarma67
2nd Gear
Thanks for the update. I will keep this in mind being in Atlanta.
The fans do run much longer after shutdown now that its getting hotter out.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 AM
terryg
4th Gear
I know this is something MINI should be addressing (and paying for), but if just want to fix the problem yourself, take a look at the WMW turbo heat shield.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/product...cat=329&page=1

Besides improving the turbo's efficiency, it also traps most of the radiant heat coming off the turbo after the engine is off so that the circulating coolant can do it's job.

Way demonstrated it to a few folks this weekend by grabbing the turbo while the car was running and leaving his hand there after the car was turned off The shield stayed within a few degrees of ambient.

If you're going to MOTD, my car will be at Way's tent when we aren't out playing, and you can see (feel?) it in action

Hopefully MINI will implement a similar solution soon.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Pete Moss
2nd Gear
If your hood scoop is damaged by heat take the car in for warranty replacement. My 07 R56 is fine. No washer jet problem.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
korby
6th Gear
I'm getting a new scoop , it's being painted today , I stressed to them that the new one should be open in the front mine is closed .

Old 04-30-2008, 05:10 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terryg
Way demonstrated it to a few folks this weekend by grabbing the turbo while the car was running and leaving his hand there after the car was turned off The shield stayed within a few degrees of ambient.
Sorry I didn't get to talk to you and Cherie on Sunday; food became our priority...
I can't wait to really look at what Way has done to Sputnyk; it looks/sounds awesome so far!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
korby
6th Gear
Ok I got the new scoop but didnt get a new open grill . But they did think dremmiling holes in the closed one was a good idea and drilled a few more while it was out .

Old 05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Terry's car has all the closed honeycombs dremmelled open for the DDMWorks track CAI. It's the coolest (temp-wise) R56S bonnet I've touched. He also has Way's doo-hickey on the turbo, of course...
I can't believe I didn't take a picture of it. Dang.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:13 PM
minicarma67
2nd Gear
Well after driving over 800 miles from atlanta to ohio, I stopped and my brother was joking how cute it was and patted the bonnet right above the turbo. It was COLD to the touch. I paniced at first yelling out the window to NOT touch it he would get burned.
Son of a gun, it was normal to the touch. even a few minutes later it was still nothing horrible.
Not sure if I lucked out and have a modified version, but I am not having this problem.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Filmcutter
1st Gear
I've recently had the same problem with the weeping washer. And the fluid did seem to stain my bonnet strip. However after a couple of hand washes (that I do myself) the mark went away.

Thanks for the info on this because I had no idea what was causing this problem. I'll definitely ask at the dealership.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:37 PM
korby
6th Gear
From Mini 2 forum .
Yesterday, 09:39 AM #9 (permalink) MJK 1980 vbmenu_register("postmenu_3432783", true);

MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:37 AM

vbrep_register("3432783") Got a call from BMW today and they advised that they have a new part number for a vent with holes in it to offer more circulation when the car has stopped.

BMX have ordered this new black vent, and a new scoop as mine has started to warp. All under warranty. All i'm gonna do is put some heat relecting material on the underside of the boot once the work has been completed.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM
terryg
4th Gear
Hmm, I wonder if ALL of the holes are open in the new vent? My Dremel-Fu is not powerful

Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
For some reason.(cost?)the turbo doesn't have insulation like previous models.I had a VW with a turbo and was insulated and did not have this problem.Q

Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Is there an actual fix at the dealer for the weeping washer issue? I have a nice stain across the hood from this on both sides. Having a heck of time getting it out and would like to keep it from coming back if there is a fix (unless just not using the washers takes care of the issue).

Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
Is there an actual fix at the dealer for the weeping washer issue? I have a nice stain across the hood from this on both sides. Having a heck of time getting it out and would like to keep it from coming back if there is a fix (unless just not using the washers takes care of the issue).
Yes. They have a service bulletin on it. They install a coupe check valves up near the nozzles. Fixed the problem on mine.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Thanks Minidrivr.

So, what is the latest word around the scoop deforming due to heat? Obviously, folks have taken their cars in to have a new scoop ordered, but did the Mini dealerships due anything more then change out the mesh and the deformed scoop? I have the mesh with the open holes and I can tell that the hood scoop is starting to get deformed. Would like to see if the dealers have done anything further to rectify the problem before I take it in for a new scoop. Thanks

Last edited by taskmaxter; 05-18-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:00 PM
4cefed4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by atcql
For some reason.(cost?)the turbo doesn't have insulation like previous models.I had a VW with a turbo and was insulated and did not have this problem.Q
The turbo on your VW is located 6" off the ground behind the engine, that's a little different than having it so close to plastic trim pieces.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:21 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
Thanks Minidrivr.

So, what is the latest word around the scoop deforming due to heat? Obviously, folks have taken their cars in to have a new scoop ordered, but did the Mini dealerships due anything more then change out the mesh and the deformed scoop? I have the mesh with the open holes and I can tell that the hood scoop is starting to get deformed. Would like to see if the dealers have done anything further to rectify the problem before I take it in for a new scoop. Thanks

Yeah, any update? I just noticed this last week the center of my scoop is deformed.

I thought it wasn't snapped in all the way but after checking it, it seems it is deformed.

Even if Mini gave me a new one, the thought of tinting that stupid Laser Blue makes me want to leave the one in there...

Mark

Quick Reply: Need everyone's help: blazing HOT bonnet problem MINI/BMW won't fix!