Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Hot Scoop & No Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hot Scoop & No Mirrors

4 days old and my new MCS is back at Global imports.

The sideview mirrors didn't work since day-1 and they couldn't fix it on the spot. Set an appointment for yesterday where they said, "you'll be in and out in 10 minutes."
When I got there they said, "Hi, Bill; whacha doin' here?"
I reminded them about the appointment and they appologized but the only smart tech already went home...

Also, the plastic surround for the hood scoop gets really really hot. I mean, ouch-redfingers-hot. WTF? They're supposed to figure it out too.

The loaner MC has the HK stereo but it smells like burning plastic. I've got to bring it back this afternoon too.

Sorry to vent. I'm P.O.'d at Global. There aren't any dealers closer to home and it's just a hassle to have to go into Atlanta (worst traffic in America; they finally beat L.A.) at rush hour every afternoon, miss dinner, and sit at a dealership.

Other than that, my wife's '06 MCS-AT is doing just fine at 17,000 miles.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 AM
korby
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the burning hot hood was normal , let me know if its not,the turbo is right there an inch away.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by korby
I thought the burning hot hood was normal , let me know if its not,the turbo is right there an inch away.
They said hot=yes, burning=no.

Also heat from the center doo-hickey by the gas peddle.

I like the extra legroom and power of the '07 but my '06 has more character...
The dealer experience yesterday has me bummed.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
nixjosh2
4th Gear
does not surprise me with global, i had my 05 out of service for 2 weeks with a bad slave cylinder, did not have an appointment for a week, and when I did have one, for the following monday they did not even touch the car for a day, and then had to order parts, ugh

Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
hot scoop

My hood scoop has goten so hot it's actually started to melt and sag. Luckily when I went to the dealership, Century Mini in Greenville, SC, to complain, the regional service rep just happened to be on hand and approved the new replacememt one under warranty without any qualms.

My car's about a month old now, 5600 miles, for reference purposes.

Attached Thumbnails Hot Scoop & No Mirrors-hoodmelt.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oldopelguy
My hood scoop has goten so hot it's actually started to melt and sag. Luckily when I went to the dealership, Century Mini in Greenville, SC, to complain, the regional service rep just happened to be on hand and approved the new replacememt one under warranty without any qualms.

My car's about a month old now, 5600 miles, for reference purposes.
Dang, that's pretty ridiculous. Welcome to NAM, though.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Man Bill, this really isnt encouraging This is with the new BRG? Personally, I think MINI did not properly heat shield the hood of the '07's. Im planning on Dremmel'ing my hood scoop honeycombs open to help encourage better air circulation in the engine compartment. A before and after temp reading would be interesting. So what do you think? What are your plans now?

Old 08-01-2007, 01:45 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Man Bill, this really isnt encouraging This is with the new BRG? Personally, I think MINI did not properly heat shield the hood of the '07's. Im planning on Dremmel'ing my hood scoop honeycombs open to help encourage better air circulation in the engine compartment. A before and after temp reading would be interesting. So what do you think? What are your plans now?
No, sweetie; don't be scared --- this is last month's post and it's the Flying Squirrel.
The BRG/W is still on the truck and I have the loaner-Beemer in the driveway.

Don't dremmel your scoop yet; let Mini decide what to do. I'd hate to have them say you "altered" anything and "caused" the condition.
I'm thinking that relief vents of some kind will find their way onto either the hood or fenders eventually.

We'll take some careful temperature readings of your car on Sunday.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:11 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
No, sweetie; don't be scared --- this is last month's post and it's the Flying Squirrel.
The BRG/W is still on the truck and I have the loaner-Beemer in the driveway.

Don't dremmel your scoop yet; let Mini decide what to do. I'd hate to have them say you "altered" anything and "caused" the condition.
I'm thinking that relief vents of some kind will find their way onto either the hood or fenders eventually.

We'll take some careful temperature readings of your car on Sunday.
How did I not notice that? Blonde moment!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
a-yup

Mine is British Racing Green FWIW. I have read online of some folks with very early release R56's having troubles, as they had no openings at all in the hood scoop for the first few months in Europe. Seems the first batch of chrome hood scoops also shipped with the completely blocked grills, even after they had made the change in the production run to include half a dozen openings. There have been some issues with those as well with folks installing the blocked off grill in place of their open one.

As far as I know I may be the first guy to have troubles with the R56 scoop and heat after they opened up some of the grill. I've been a lurker around here for a while, figured I should share though just in case I'm not.

I'm very seriously considering a triple set of custom grilles, all three openings out of perferated or expanded mesh of some sort, so the car will stay cooler. When the new scoop gets installed I'm going to ask about how it would affect warranty.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by oldopelguy
Mine is British Racing Green FWIW. I have read online of some folks with very early release R56's having troubles, as they had no openings at all in the hood scoop for the first few months in Europe. Seems the first batch of chrome hood scoops also shipped with the completely blocked grills, even after they had made the change in the production run to include half a dozen openings. There have been some issues with those as well with folks installing the blocked off grill in place of their open one.

As far as I know I may be the first guy to have troubles with the R56 scoop and heat after they opened up some of the grill. I've been a lurker around here for a while, figured I should share though just in case I'm not.

I'm very seriously considering a triple set of custom grilles, all three openings out of perferated or expanded mesh of some sort, so the car will stay cooler. When the new scoop gets installed I'm going to ask about how it would affect warranty.
Just wondering if that solution would let rainwater in and if that would be likely to affect any engine components.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
I picked up the new car yesterday and hit it with the infrared.

Engine bay and bonnet are each 60 degrees cooler under the same circumstances as the old car. Hood scoop has the open venturis. The circulating pump runs way-longer on this car after it's been shut down to dissipate the heat.
There's actually more heat in the footwell but my feet are cooler --- the new car is an AT and I have more room down there; my right foot isn't pressed up against the pillar.

I think I'm pretty happy with the car. I also think that Mini needs to keep working on it and bring the footwell temps down more; maybe shark gills in the bonnet or fenders...?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
That's good. I've been following your trial/tribs loosely. They didn't replace the car just for the heat issue did they? What's the circulating pump? Not a fan right.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:52 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
That's good. I've been following your trial/tribs loosely. They didn't replace the car just for the heat issue did they? What's the circulating pump? Not a fan right.
They replaced for the combinations of:
1) mirrors didn't work
2) trans squeal 3-2 shift; trans replaced; squeal returned
3) heat
4) heat
5) heat
6) fuel vapors

It was just a matter of time before it blew up.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BritBoy
Just wondering if that solution would let rainwater in and if that would be likely to affect any engine components.
Rain water gets into all engines through the grill and scoops. It's no problem.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:03 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Sorry to vent. I'm P.O.'d at Global. There aren't any dealers closer to home and it's just a hassle to have to go into Atlanta (worst traffic in America; they finally beat L.A.) at rush hour every afternoon, miss dinner, and sit at a dealership.
Seeing as how I have to drive 324 miles round trip for servicing I can't feel for ya having to drive across Atlanta to get to the 2nd dealership in your state

I got unhappy with Mini of S ALT & gave Global a try. I found the grass was def not greener & went back to MOSA. You said Global messed your appt up by sending a tech home early. Well one time I got to within 10 miles of Global & the SA called to say they didn't have a loaner for me & he forgot to call so could I come back another day It wasn't pretty & lets just say they managed to scrounge up a loaner for me on the spot. All in all prefer the service at MOSA greatly over Global. I hope you get your probs sorted quickly

Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
My experience with MOSA is not good!! I have a 230 mile round trip to MOSA and had to make two trips to get a air bag light problem solved. They were supposed to send me a rear suspension rubber boot that fell off.
Still waiting after two months and several phone calls. Never been to Global but what i gather it's even worse.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:38 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Silverbullit
My experience with MOSA is not good!! I have a 230 mile round trip to MOSA and had to make two trips to get a air bag light problem solved. They were supposed to send me a rear suspension rubber boot that fell off.
Still waiting after two months and several phone calls. Never been to Global but what i gather it's even worse.
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think MOSA is good, just the lesser of 2 evils I have rarely had an issue resolved at either dealership on one visit. I mean I can call them & tell them exactly what's wrong & that I am driving all the way from Alabama. I request that they pre-order the part but they never do They wait til they look at it & then order the part which means most repairs are almost 650 miles of driving for me

Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 PM
WindyCooper
2nd Gear
Wow.. you must love the car to buy one that requires you to drive that far for service. I gripe because I have to drive 15 minutes across town. Guess I will feel better on my next trip!