F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Anyone with the Dinan get a "Drive moderately" message?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 04:10 PM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Anyone with the Dinan get a "Drive moderately" message?

I've had the Dinan tuner on my 2015 MCS for about three months now and have never had an issue. Love the difference. Anyway, on a short errand tonight I got a "Drive moderately" message on the center screen. Car didn't feel any different. Has anyone else seen this?

The car felt great on my drive home from work today (a much longer drive) and I didn't just fill up with cheap gas or something. I did refill the washer fluid but really?

I'll see if this comes back on my drive home. If it does, I guess I'm pulling my tuner and calling the dealer...

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:04 PM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
My drive home was completely uneventful. Car felt normal. So just a computer glitch??

Old 01-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Do you have an OBD reader? Seem to recall seeing that message posted on another thread. Let's not link Dinan to this yet, I love it.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:27 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
interesting, nothing like that for me. Ive had mine for 3mo too

Old 01-25-2017, 05:41 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
I'm not thinking this is a Dinan issue at all...that tuner has worked too well for too long.

I think I do have a code reader. I hope the car stored the code; my morning commute was fine and the car is showing no issues in the vehicle status screens.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:33 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
This can sometimes be triggered by a sensor picking up excessive heat. Sometimes it's heat sinking from the turbo causing warm intake air. If you were driving as normal it might be a sensor.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:45 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Also check your battery as a dying battery can sometimes trigger weird faults.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 PM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
had mine awhile as well and so far no issues

Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 PM
3rdcoastmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this happen recently after sitting over night in extreme cold. Went away next day. Dealer found two related codes 123423 and 120408.

Faults related to wastegate and subsequent control faults. Ran all test protocols and unable to verify issue. Codes cleared and Adeptation and nothing since.

I do not have Dinan, so I would not jump to that conclusion. Others have had this randomly happen to. Mine was in limp mode and would not rev above 3000RPM while it was on. This was at 2000 miles only. I'm a few hundred miles since.

Chalk it up to random computer glitch.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:52 PM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Well, it's more than just one random glitch and I'm pretty sure it's not the Dinan module.

On my way home from work today, I had some rough shifts and the return of that drivetrain error. Then, I got a couple rougher shifts and a chassis stabilization error:

At that point, I think I finally got to experience limp mode. To make things more fun, the car died at a stop light and refused to start for a couple of minutes. Thankfully, I did get it restarted and managed to get home.

I now have a loaner waiting for me at the dealer, a service appt for tomorrow and BMW roadside is on their way to bring me and the car in. Good times!

And, yes, while I'm sure this isn't the dinan, I did remove it to be safe.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:05 AM
madmix
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I used to get this error before I got my Dinan. Usually goes away next time you start, if not go to Mini.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:23 PM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
It didn't go away and the car was towed to the dealer this morning.
As of now I have no update.

On the upside, my loaner is a very nicely equipped Clubman S All4. While I prefer my hardtop, this is nice. My wife is smitten. Say what you will about minis getting bigger but the new Clubby is great.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:42 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by chipfiev

On the upside, my loaner is a very nicely equipped Clubman S All4. While I prefer my hardtop, this is nice. My wife is smitten. Say what you will about minis getting bigger but the new Clubby is great.
Slip your Dinan on that Clubby S All4 and have yourself some real fun

Seriously, we all appreciate your updates on you car's driveability issue. Keep us posted on the findings and the fix. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:08 PM
whatsthebuzz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a similar message on my Dinan equipped BMW 1 series when I had some fuel that was a few months old. It's a garage queen (since I got my F56), was low on fuel and had not been driven recently. I filled it up with fresh super unleaded and the error never came back.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:05 PM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Forgot to share the worst screens ever:

Both of these errors persist when I stop & start the car.

And the saddest thing I've seen in some time:

Old 01-27-2017, 08:44 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
my money is on software upgrade resolving this.
i got this about 4-5 times on my JB4....but dealer would not update because they would just blame the JB4...when i did the BBK they had to do a software upgrade...both errors have yet to return.]

P.S. if anyone else gets this, just clear the errors and drive the car to the dealer. IMO, this is a non-issue. just values that the ecu is reading that is above or below the threshold...almost like a BSOD on a windows computer.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
I sure hope you're right. As of now, the car did some really bad things physically before it died but who knows why. The dealer has had the car for two days and hasn't told me anything yet. Given the way it was driving, I'm glad I had it towed.

Fingers are still cross for a quick fix.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:39 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I sure hope you're right. As of now, the car did some really bad things physically before it died but who knows why. The dealer has had the car for two days and hasn't told me anything yet. Given the way it was driving, I'm glad I had it towed.

Fingers are still cross for a quick fix.
just so you know, the "car did really bad things" was most likely JUST cuz of the chassis stabilization error...it forces it into limp mode so you feel like you're running your engine into the ground. optimistically, this was the car putting itself into that limp mode vs the car actually bucking because of something wrong. if you would have simply cleared the error, the car would drive like normal. if it were really bad, even resetting it would have done nothing.
it also happened to me. it is the the tuner that's causing it. if you remove the dinan, the problem goes away and the dealer won't be able to replicate it. you'll need to push them to do a software upgrade, at which point the dinan will play nice.

disclaimer: my experience is with the JB4...but generally speaking all the "tuners" (JB4, NM, Dinan, etc..) do the same thing in regards to "tricking" the ecu, so if i had this issue on the jb4 and you experienced it as well with dinan, then i'm very certain it's the same problem.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:45 PM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
I guess that makes me feel better...assuming I can get the right software updates from the dealer. The stalling wasn't fun but software can do horrible things.

How long did it take your mini to fail with your jb4? I've had the dinan installed for three months and this event was the first trouble I had. Just hoping to understand how I'll know if this is really fixed since I'd really like to put the dinan back on when I get the car back.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
The on screen messages like "drive moderately" don't all rise from the same faults.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:47 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
The on screen messages like "drive moderately" don't all rise from the same faults.
agreed...was just my gut feeling since it was very very familiar to what happened to me with the JB4.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:53 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I guess that makes me feel better...assuming I can get the right software updates from the dealer. The stalling wasn't fun but software can do horrible things.

How long did it take your mini to fail with your jb4? I've had the dinan installed for three months and this event was the first trouble I had. Just hoping to understand how I'll know if this is really fixed since I'd really like to put the dinan back on when I get the car back.
i had my JB4 for quite a bit and then it happened out of the blue. it seemed to occur @ WOT, but not all the time. everytime i would want to "force it" to happen, it wouldn't...but then one day, it would just happen.

since the upgrade, it has not happened once.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:28 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
my money is on software upgrade resolving this.
i got this about 4-5 times on my JB4....but dealer would not update because they would just blame the JB4...when i did the BBK they had to do a software upgrade...both errors have yet to return.]

P.S. if anyone else gets this, just clear the errors and drive the car to the dealer. IMO, this is a non-issue. just values that the ecu is reading that is above or below the threshold...almost like a BSOD on a windows computer.

Most likely fuel trims just went outside the proper "range" and DME failed to autocorrect it.

Could simply be bad gasoline or octane is insufficient for the mode you're in. Try lowering to Sport+ or Sport and fill up with top tier gas.
The software update wouldn't hurt either.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:29 PM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Ironically, I had just filled up with 93 octane from Costco (top tier) before this all went down. Once I had the first error, I filled up again at Mobil (also 93 octane). The Dinan was in Sport+ for all of this.

None of my errors occurred at WOT; one was in light traffic and the other in no traffic at all.
The chassis error came when turning slowly from a stop sign and the car stalled out (and wouldn't restart) at a stoplight.

Hopefully, I'll have an update from the dealer tomorrow.

Last edited by chipfiev; 01-29-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Now there are 4 of those booster things for the F56, some guy posted that he got one called "Chiptuning" for his JCW. It's threads like this that make me not want to try one. I assume the OP took his off the car before it was towed. And I assume the dealer can't tell it was attached when the car died either. Something about fooling the car into giving more boost doesn't sound quite right to me. I'll opt for an ECU tune thank you.