Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:52 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Windshield Replacement

I had an incident with the windshield, it seems that a stone fell on the top edge and generated a J-shaped crack about 19 inches long.
After watching some videos on YouTube (and see that it was possible to fill and delete that line with liquid glass) I'm not satisfied with the repair job done in a indy shop because now it still clearly shows the line where it was (is) cracked. I'm very calm because the crack will not extend but aesthetically remains the same before it has been repaired.
So now I'm on the way of changing the windshield.
In a prestigious indy shop you can get it OEM or compatible, but they don't have it in stock right now, since they only have one with rain sensor and mine is without rain sensor function.
The question is, there is a possibility that using the windshield change I could enable the rain sensor function in the car?. It's just a plug and play task, where should there be a plug waiting for the connection and I should only do the programming changes (VO, module settings, etc)?

Any information will be appreciated

Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
If there is a plug, check if there is a fuse for it. either case, you want a safe/replaced windshield and the sensor is a bonus.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:56 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
If there is a plug, check if there is a fuse for it. either case, you want a safe/replaced windshield and the sensor is a bonus.
I understand your idea but my question is if I should to install this windshield with a sensor (extra $100) to get the function or wait a few weeks for the windshield without the sensor, since I will not be able to take advantage of the function

Old 12-06-2017, 10:03 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
The answer is dependent on wheather you have the wires and fuse for this option. Also are you sure that the sensor physically comes with the windshield?
lastly, check this site to trace out the wiring for the rain sensor: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Old 12-06-2017, 10:07 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Also check the SZL module if it would work with the sensor. If not sure, optain your part number via INPA and check in realoem.com if that supports rain sensor function. Unless it is in the programming only. Just a though :-)

Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Yes, the SZL supports rain sensor since it was replaced (by me) to enable MFSW. The original VIN where the SZL was taken, has rain sensor function.

Additionally, the sensor comes with the windshield and it can´t be removed it (it has more blacked out paint in the upper middle zone to hide the sensor, it seems to be glued).

I was checking the info at https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ (great info) but still I can´t determinate what is the hardware/wire I should buy to get it connected...

Old 02-02-2018, 09:57 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Surely I need to buy the rain sensor module and connect it
But I would need the entire wire to get it connected to the car connector...

Old 02-02-2018, 11:30 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
If I get some time, I will check the wiring for you on my car. I got few projects running at the same time

Old 02-02-2018, 12:35 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,988 Likes on 1,785 Posts
Lots of info here, talked about it many times, I had both non rain sensor and rain sensor version replaced on both my MINIs.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ment-cost.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-05-2018, 10:55 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
If I get some time, I will check the wiring for you on my car. I got few projects running at the same time
Thank you for your time and help MiniToBe!
I have my windshield installed and happy with the "new" look.

All your help to make the retrofit will be really appreciated

Old 02-05-2018, 10:58 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Lots of info here, talked about it many times, I had both non rain sensor and rain sensor version replaced on both my MINIs.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ment-cost.html

Thank you for the link.
I could see the box and the cover that I should buy.
I believe that I would need the wire that connects the box and "the car" to get it installed prior to changing the VO.
Do you know where can I find the wire/wires involved to get the sensor box correctly installed?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,988 Likes on 1,785 Posts
I have never had a person do and OEM conversion, but I wanted to show whats involved.

I would bet you have to wire into the wiper system and iyt would have to be programmed, not plug and play. I dont know how this would be done/.

But.. there is a guy who did one aftermarket on his R52. Different platform car but you can get an idea.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-retrofit.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172