SMF (Street Modified FWD) Let me be the first

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 04:26 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just scrolled down on the forum list and saw this was active - great. I look forward to learning a lot from my fellow MCS SM competitors.
Here's what threw me into SM: the pulley, an ALTA intake and rear sway bar. Not sure how I'll fare next year; when I did the mods it was to enjoy the car and make it better on the track, autocrossing was a minor consideration. I think the MCS faces some stiff competition in SM.
Anyways I look forward to learning from the collective wisdom and contributing what I can.

Old 12-29-2003, 08:09 PM
WestCoastCoopers
Banned
Well Holy Smokes...
SM'd Coopers I've been most impressed with so far...
I have seen the M7Venom MC (JivanIvan's) in Performance Mods
I've seen the M7Turbo MC on the www.TeamMightyMiniZ.com Site
I've read all about the 13SecondMINI on www.mini2.com
But I have YET to see them in person. Hopefully the M7TurboMC will do a little show off soon here in SoCal!
If I make it up towards JivanIvan, I'm going for a ride!
I think that sums it up. Any others?
Would like to know!

- WCC

Old 12-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
I'll chime in and say coooooooooool! Just pulley'ed my MCS so I'll be in SM, too. I just finished my novice season with Steel Cities of the SCCA. I was amazed to find that I'd finished 2nd for the year in GS. Since I'm still a newbie I'm looking forward to finding out what I need to do to the car to make it more competative. The driver still needs some work.

I have an H-sport suspension package on order that includes springs, front and rear sway bars, strut tower brace, front camber plates and rear control arms. I also plan 15x7 racing wheels and Hoosiers.

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-03-2004, 04:38 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Anyone know of a 19% pulley modded MCS in SM?
If you add a LSD, PowerChip ECU upgrade, or larger intercooler are you still in SM?

Old 01-03-2004, 04:52 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
minihune: you can do all that and more in SM.

Randy was running the water to air intercooler, pulley, intake, header, exhaust, ECU, catch can, coilovers, camberplates, slotted rotors, and the Falken Azenis tires. The LSD is legal in STX (mferguson did that mod for the TeamMCO car), and it's legal in SM as well.

Dave

Old 01-03-2004, 04:59 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Here's a pic of Randy

Old 01-04-2004, 03:45 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Did,
Thanks. Great photo. Why not take off the antenna to save weight?

Old 01-08-2004, 05:21 PM
jmciver
2nd Gear
Hmmmm......An MCS in SM?!? I don't think they could really compete at the National Level but I know they would be fun to auto-x (I have auto-x'ed my stock MCS and it is a blast).

As far as weight reduction goes, you can go even further in SM by replacing the hood, front fenders and front bumper with ligher ones (i.e. carbon fiber or composites). You can remove the rear seats and replace the stock front seats with lighter ones as well. You can also can put larger fenders on the car to get more rubber on the road, which is very cost effective on this car since the fender flares are made of plastic and removable.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:21 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can also can put larger fenders on the car to get more rubber on the road, which is very cost effective on this car since the fender flares are made of plastic and removable.
Man is that dumb. You shouldn't be able to change the structure of the car IMO. What's the point of even calling it a MINI anymore if it is gonna have wider fenders and carbon fiber body. They should limit it at some point. Then the manufacturers that make the best car has the best chance, you shouldn't be able to change the fenders that is so stupid.

Are there any other dumb rules in SM? Can you just drop a different engine into the MINI's hood? You should only be able to mod on to a car, not change it. For instance if it's a supercharged engine, you can get pulley to create more boost but you can't put a turbo in it because it is not a turbo car. Fender flares? Come on!

Old 01-31-2004, 12:29 PM
2Cool
4th Gear
Why is modification dumb? There are many levels of classing in SCCA, from stock, to street prepared to modified and race. SM is for people who are moving into purpose built handling machines. It has not a damn thing to do with keeping a car anywhere near original. Thats what stock, STX and street prepared are for. If you don't like body mods, stay in the other classes. Otherwise don't expect to compete with the people who are willing to change

Engines must be from the same manufacturer as the car. The firewall, roof, doors, rear quarter panels, floor pan, trunk lid (if any) or rear hatch (if any) must remain stock. Holes may be drilled to allow attachment of body kits, etc. This specifically allows replacement hoods, fenders, wings, front & rear fascias, side skirts, and fender flares. Most other items are unlimited. Hence the term "modified".

Street Mod Rules

Old 01-31-2004, 12:43 PM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Weaverpsu, I think you're misunderstanding what the Street Modified classification is there for.

STS was originally designed for people to come out with minor bolt-on modifications and still be competitive on street tires.
SM on the other hand is a "run what you brung" of bolt-on modifications, and yes, it even does allow you to drop an engine in, as long as it's the same manufacturer.

So since it doesn't seem you approve of the idea, keep in mind there's:
Stock, Street Prepared, Prepared, Modified, Street Touring Street tire, Street Touring Xtreme, Street Modified and Street Modified 2.
ALL classes the MINI Cooper is capable of competing in.
Take your Pick!

Brian Garfield
(choosing STOCK for this year...)

Old 02-04-2004, 02:33 AM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Well i consider the pulley to be a minor bolt-on but it immediately puts me into SM. And I am frustrated about that.

It is just my opinion. I just feel like once you modify the shape of the car you might as well just race in Nascar. Nascar was fun to watch when they actually looked like the cars you and I drive. Now they bare little resemblence as to even everything out, so it is driver vs driver. I like the fact that STS is car vs car and driver vs driver. Another example is drag racing. If i were to go to the track and watch mustangs, firebirds, corvettes, etc etc it would interest me. When i turn on the TV and i see a rocket with a fiberglass body on it and they are calling it a thunderbird i can't help but laugh. Same goes here. If i see a MCS with fender flares and wide *** tires it is no longer a MCS it is a Modified MCS and i guess that is your point.

I would like a class where you can do almost anything you want to make the stock engine better (i.e. pulley) and the stock body lighter (i.e. CF hood), and the stock suspension better and no Hoosiers. This way i can watch and be able to relate to what i am seeing. It is more enjoyable for me.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:35 AM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Hey Garfield, do you think the Cooper is just as good or fast as the S in stock form for these races? Some arguments about this topic before and I see you race both so....

Thanks

Old 02-04-2004, 09:06 PM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Weaver, of course the pulley is just a simple bolt on mod. But, so is a chip, a head, an air intake. The rules have to be drawn somewhere. Many like to act like "it's only one small modification" but in any sport, there are rules. Follow them, or not, it's up to you.

As for the Cooper (w/SSP) vs. S, it's a matter of skill level. The Cooper is much easier to drive because it doesn't involve any throttle modulation. The Cooper S involves it around every turn and requires the driver to know where that "edge" of power/adhesion is. Spin too much, and your times get slower.
I can guarantee there are many drivers, on certain courses, that would be slower in a Cooper S. I'll be happy being .5 seconds faster than a Cooper in my S.

Brian

Old 02-17-2004, 07:45 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
>>Weaver, of course the pulley is just a simple bolt on mod. But, so is a chip, a head, an air intake. The rules have to be drawn somewhere. Many like to act like "it's only one small modification" but in any sport, there are rules. Follow them, or not, it's up to you.
>>
>>As for the Cooper (w/SSP) vs. S, it's a matter of skill level. The Cooper is much easier to drive because it doesn't involve any throttle modulation. The Cooper S involves it around every turn and requires the driver to know where that "edge" of power/adhesion is. Spin too much, and your times get slower.
>>I can guarantee there are many drivers, on certain courses, that would be slower in a Cooper S. I'll be happy being .5 seconds faster than a Cooper in my S.
>>
>>Brian
Bottom line here is JCW package means I go to SM and as I have to go to SM I can go to any wheel and tire combo I want right. So the choice would be 15" wheels and Hoosiers?? Anything goes in the suspension right? I can confidently buy the bmwcca package from Tire Rack as well as Mini Mania's package? I want to eventually evolve it to BMWCCA Spec Class while firmly keeping my foot in AutoX.
Sleepsless and worried in Munson Township.......

Old 02-18-2004, 05:52 AM
conecarver
3rd Gear
Suspension is open except you cannot change the mounting points for the suspension pickups.... (but you can use camber plates) so any spring shock combo or coil over setup is legal.... any replacement suspension arms are legal (as long as pickups are unchanged... so rear links can be changed... and tubular front arms are legal too... any bushing material is legal.... check out http://www.streetmodified.org for more rules and general info on the class.....

BTW the JCW MCS is also legal in A- Street Prepared (which has a more limited mod ruleset than SM)

one finnal note.... Nitrous is not legal in any SCCA solo class in any way shape or form... so leave the bottle at home!!!

03 MC Black/White
#13 H-Stock.. Atlanta Region SCCA