R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

New issue regarding Mini cooper Limp mode.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 08:48 PM
horsedragon
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New issue regarding Mini cooper Limp mode.

Greetings,
Last week I posted about my MINI going into LIMP mode. The day I went to go get the car checked, the LIMP mode cleared itself after driving up to about 20mph. It has not come on since then, and the car has made no weird noises, or weird driving.

At this point, should I assume the light cleared, or will it come back on again soon? Has anybody had this experience before and is willing to share their take? I was told that since the "limp" mode light was gone, that the codes would be cleared and that there was no need to plug it in to code reader because nothing would pop up.

As of right now, Im going to assume that the limp mode light will be coming back on soon. My three theories are its either (a) the boost (though I don't know because it didn't come back on despite RPM's on the higher end [around 3]), (b) it could be the high pressure fuel pump (recent warranty extension, plus plenty of issues with HPFP that i've been hearing about), or (c) it could be a false alarm.

Thanks everyone in advance for the advice.

I attached the previous form here.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4577046

Last edited by horsedragon; 03-16-2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: clarify details.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:49 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 403 Posts
Originally Posted by horsedragon
Greetings,
Last week I posted about my MINI going into LIMP mode. The day I went to go get the car checked, the LIMP mode cleared itself after driving up to about 20mph. It has not come on since then, and the car has made no weird noises, or weird driving.

At this point, should I assume the light cleared, or will it come back on again soon? Has anybody had this experience before and is willing to share their take? I was told that since the "limp" mode light was gone, that the codes would be cleared and that there was no need to plug it in to code reader because nothing would pop up.

As of right now, Im going to assume that the limp mode light will be coming back on soon. My three theories are its either (a) the boost (though I don't know because it didn't come back on despite RPM's on the higher end [around 3]), (b) it could be the high pressure fuel pump (recent warranty extension, plus plenty of issues with HPFP that i've been hearing about), or (c) it could be a false alarm.

Thanks everyone in advance for the advice.

I attached the previous form here.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4577046
Limp mode is most likely going to come back if you didn’t fix what caused it. So have you been baby driving it like I suggested the other day? What happens when you actually get on it and drive the car?

When mine happened I was leaving the killboy store on the Dragon, full first and second gear, shift into 3, pre first turn and boom half engine light and my DV made a funny noise. I have a forge spacer on my DV so I get the pssshing sound in high boost, this totally was a different sound. So I pulled over pop hood and didn’t see anything out of the norm and no codes where there or pending. So I pull back out on the Dragon, shifting at 3k and everything felt ok. As soon as I started to build any real boost I could hear dv fluttering like I was in high boost. I knew right then and there what broke, and seriously I was less than a mile into the dragon. I limped her out and yes my light went off, but as soon as I starting building any real boost it would pop back up then turn off again after a few miles of driving. If I where you, that would be first place I would start, pull of intake tube, move coolant reservoir, this is only needed for more room, three 5mm hex bolts or a t27 will work. 15 minutes of work.

The following users liked this post:
horsedragon (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 AM
horsedragon
1st Gear
I never let the RPM go past the "3" mark in my auto transmission since then. I drove the car home after the repair guy said it was useless to read the codes since there is no LIMP mode engine light, and the light did not come back on. Its stayed off, but I haven't been driving it often recently due to being busy from work and other commitments.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:04 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 403 Posts
I’m willing to bet if you drive it hard it will pop into limp mode again. I’d be willing to bet you won’t have a code either, just like me. Take the 15 minutes and check your DV. Just coming on the internet and hunting isn’t going to fix this.

The following users liked this post:
horsedragon (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 09:11 AM
horsedragon
1st Gear
Thank you so much for your input. I will definitely find the time sometime to look at the diverter valve. It may a bit a challenge since i'm new to MINI (first MINi, still learning a lot about it), but I'm definitely up to it, and if I find it out of my ability, i'll seek a professional.

Thank you again.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:47 PM
horsedragon
1st Gear
UPDATE:

The issue ended up being the high pressure fuel pump.