R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Countryman Common Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 04:09 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Countryman Common Problems

I was looking at getting a Cooper, but after driving a base model hard top, and seeing how well the kids fit, we are deciding to go with a Countryman instead (pending test drive, I've never driven one). I'm looking at a 2011 with 80k miles and a 2014. I was just curious if there are any common issues with these? They are both S model- all4s. Do they use the same Puegot engine that the r56s use? I had a 2007 cooper S before and had a lot of issues. I still loved the car though and would love to get back in a Coop. Even if it is a bigger than the standard one .

Last edited by Kibbis; 04-24-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:12 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
2014 would be better since they modified the HPFP. depending on mileage, the All4 system might be an issue. some people reported noise from the differential. just go though the R60 section and see what people are complaining about.

personally, I had a 2011 S All4 auto with minimal issues after in home services. my 2012 has the new HPFP design and although it is not an All4, it is a beast.

gas mileage is much less than the hardtop and the All4 consumes more.

ask for all service records and warranties if any.

good luck

Old 04-24-2018, 05:25 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
They all have the N18 engine so none of the bad engine problems you are thinking of with the N14 like your 07 had.

Its still a Mini. Things like having to register the battery to the car if you replace it, just make maintenance more costly.

I will say the All4 is phenomenal if you live in a winter climate. I would vote to get the lowest mileage you can find for a decent price. The resale on all Minis is absolute crap, so you should be able to find a decent deal. It is a enjoyable car!

Also make sure you get whatever options you want. For us the Mrs. just HAD to have heated seats. We got those...along with the no-sunroof I wanted. The only thing I miss that my 09R56 had, was auto climate control. The manual dials in the Countryman kind of suck / hard to use.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:20 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
The 2011 has about 80k on it, but it looks to be in excellent condition and the price is aournd 10k. The 2014 only has about 30k which is awesome, but is running at 21k, which seems incredibly high to me.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:45 AM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
80k Countryman Opinon

I drive a countryman w/ 80k on the clock. 2011 R 60.

One word of advice. This car will have issues. If you do maintenance on them regularly these issues wont be such a surprise. Also if you read this web site religiously they wont catch you off guard either. Many known issues with the All 4 Clutch set up. (Most agree the car is a little to heavy for the clutch) Not sure which part of the country your in but You should be able to find a Nice used countryman with less mile for way under 20k.
I paid in Dec of 16 $14,800 for a R60 w/ 36k. I drive the **** out of it and have posted most things that have gone wrong with mine. Feel free to look over my Post. They are short but do high light known issues. (Not Fixes as I have a aftermarket warranty and it has saved my A S S. Dealer Fixes it.)
If you do find a Countryman with low miles and a good price Look in to Aftermarket Warranty. Do research in this area. The one I went with covers EVERYTHING I paid 2100 for 60k miles or 4 years. It has paid for it self at least three times. And old boy blue is in the shop today getting lubes and looking into an exhaust smell filling the cabin under hard acceleration.
Well that way more than ONE WORD OF ADVICE. Sorry for that. These are great cars as long as your ready for what you purchased.
Please keep the community up to date. We live for this ****!. lol Have fun Motor Hard. And don't forget to WAVE DAMMIT!

Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Yeah the dealer here is a bit on the high side on the cars they sell. I drive a Ford Fusion right now that has about 80k on the dial. I run into little issues on that. Not so much motor related but it seems like everything else, so every car has it's quirks. Owning the 07 previously though, I get it. Small problems in a mini are a bit more $$ and difficult than a Fusion. A lot more fun to drive though.

I just drove the 2011. It ran really well and was fully loaded. They are willing to give me a 20k mile warranty and they dropped the price to 10k. I enjoyed it.Is the HPFC conencted to the top right of the motor? If so, the part looked brand new.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:49 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
With a 2011, that HPFC could have been replaced 2 or 3 times by now....

Other common issues to keep an eye on... Premature clutch failure for the 2011 and 2012 models (see if yours has been replaced & updated to the new clutch), thermostat housing & water pump failure, premature turbo failure (75k-80k), fluid leakage thru the cup holders has lead to electronic failures (module mounted underneath) and sun-roof leaks due to blocked vent tubes (find water in the footwells). There are probably more but these are the ones that come to mind.

They are fun to drive though and absolutely terrific in the winter, particularly with proper winter tires mounted. They aren't as good on gas as the 2wd models and they do require premium fuel.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:56 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
I'm going to try to get the 2011 for an extended test drive. Maybe try to get the service records from the dealer. If anyone is interested, here is the car.

https://www.vinart.com/vehicle-detai...ZC5C56BWH99933

I'm a little nervous about the reliability issues. I don't mind working on it myself (did the water pump in my 07, can't imagine things being much more of a pain than that), I just can'tcan without a car for more than a day or two at a time. The hpfp doesn't look like a terrible fix.

-Fixed Link.

Last edited by Kibbis; 04-26-2018 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Long link
Old 04-26-2018, 05:07 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Going to need brakes. Mine were all crusty like that when we bought it from up near Cleveland.

The outside looked like those, but the inside is usually worse

Other than that, I guess if you can get over the Captain America theme, it seems loaded and cleanish.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:52 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Yeah you could tell driving it that they weren't new. They did pass it on inspection though. I don't mind doing brakes and rotors. Maybe I can get them to throw the parts in though with the sale should it go through.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Here is a good place to review as well the "R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues" area.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ms-issues-357/

Old 04-26-2018, 12:48 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Some owners detest those rear buckets and a couple here have swapped over to the rear bench arrangement that comes with the newer models. Personally i prefer the buckets but to each their own. And yes, that 'Captain America' color theme would take some getting used to.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:19 PM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
I do too. If the numbers work out and I get it, I would keep them.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Dealer let me take it home for the night. Hoping to go to the nearby mini dealer and try to get some service information if possible. It looks to be very well maintained! Fingers crossed.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:59 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Get in there and see if the air filter and even the cabin filter have been changed. Good look into how maintained it is. See if such simple items were done.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Air filter looked new, but the dealer may have changed that out right away. I didn't get to dig into the cabin filter though. I got service records from mini and it seemed pretty well taken care of. I'm looking fwd to picking it up.

Anyone have any recommendations with NOT going with runflats? I'll probably run these tires off and put std tires on. I did that on my 07 coop and I didn't notice much of a difference. Tires last a lot longer too.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:16 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
One of the best recommendations is the Continental DWS06. I am likely getting a set in 215/55/17 soon. I just put the stock bricks back on after the snow tires came off. Rides like total junk now.

I just mentioned filters based on my experience. Bought it from a actual BMW/Mini dealer and I swear it was original lol

Old 01-18-2020, 09:12 AM
Mike Hendo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectMini
I drive a countryman w/ 80k on the clock. 2011 R 60.

One word of advice. This car will have issues. If you do maintenance on them regularly these issues wont be such a surprise. Also if you read this web site religiously they wont catch you off guard either. Many known issues with the All 4 Clutch set up. (Most agree the car is a little to heavy for the clutch) Not sure which part of the country your in but You should be able to find a Nice used countryman with less mile for way under 20k.
I paid in Dec of 16 $14,800 for a R60 w/ 36k. I drive the **** out of it and have posted most things that have gone wrong with mine. Feel free to look over my Post. They are short but do high light known issues. (Not Fixes as I have a aftermarket warranty and it has saved my A S S. Dealer Fixes it.)
If you do find a Countryman with low miles and a good price Look in to Aftermarket Warranty. Do research in this area. The one I went with covers EVERYTHING I paid 2100 for 60k miles or 4 years. It has paid for it self at least three times. And old boy blue is in the shop today getting lubes and looking into an exhaust smell filling the cabin under hard acceleration.
Well that way more than ONE WORD OF ADVICE. Sorry for that. These are great cars as long as your ready for what you purchased.
Please keep the community up to date. We live for this ****!. lol Have fun Motor Hard. And don't forget to WAVE DAMMIT!
Looking at a 2013 Countryman S...can you give me the brand/type of warranty you purchased?

Old 10-11-2021, 05:48 PM
Autumn Pavelko
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None

Originally Posted by Kibbis
I was looking at getting a Cooper, but after driving a base model hard top, and seeing how well the kids fit, we are deciding to go with a Countryman instead (pending test drive, I've never driven one). I'm looking at a 2011 with 80k miles and a 2014. I was just curious if there are any common issues with these? They are both S model- all4s. Do they use the same Puegot engine that the r56s use? I had a 2007 cooper S before and had a lot of issues. I still loved the car though and would love to get back in a Coop. Even if it is a bigger than the standard one .
Nothing to say.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:56 AM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Hendo
Looking at a 2013 Countryman S...can you give me the brand/type of warranty you purchased?
Id like to know which extended warranty I could purchase as well-looking at a pre owned 2012 for my kid.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:44 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by stiksandstones
Id like to know which extended warranty I could purchase as well-looking at a pre owned 2012 for my kid.
FYI, I bought a countryman used, from a mini dealer, was way overpriced, but-the market is stupid right now...and it was a 2012 with 45k miles, immaculate condition, paint looks new, inside new, whoever drove this, must have had it on a treadmill.
Anyway, dealer quoted me $3600 for extended warranty, 2yrs or 24k miles. I didnt even think we'd put 24k miles in 2 yrs, so, thing would fall apart right as the warranty expired-so, gonna take our chances.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:11 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
So for what it was going to cost you each month to pay for that warranty, you could simply put the same amount (or a little more!) of money into a savings account and deal with those future repairs on your own rather than having to deal with an insurance company that will look to deny your claim wherever possible.

The following users liked this post:
2014 MC (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 05:49 PM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mikey_t
So for what it was going to cost you each month to pay for that warranty, you could simply put the same amount (or a little more!) of money into a savings account and deal with those future repairs on your own rather than having to deal with an insurance company that will look to deny your claim wherever possible.
Thats what my wife said-so we declined.