R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Valve Cover Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 01:17 PM
indianajonesy
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Valve Cover Gasket

Had my Mini in the shop to get the shifter cables replaced and the dealership says the valve cover gasket is starting to leak. Not particularly surprising to me as I've been smelling burning oil for a few months now and lose a fair bit between changes, but it's time to do something about it. Anyone done this on a base Countryman? I've seen guides for the R50/53s and done it before on other vehicles, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into and what to look out for before I screw something up

Old 02-14-2018, 09:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
It's actually easier than it is on an R53 as you don't have to remove the intercooler
We keep them in stock
https://www.waymotorworks.com/valve-...18-engine.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 AM
indianajonesy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
It's actually easier than it is on an R53 as you don't have to remove the intercooler
We keep them in stock
https://www.waymotorworks.com/valve-...18-engine.html
This is an N16 engine, not the turbo N18. Doesn't seem like you carry that one.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 AM
UndeR55dawg
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indianajonesy
Even though I have a base Clubby, I changed mine out last year after noticing oil in the #1 spark well. We have the same motor so it should be similar if not indentical. It took me about an hour to do....would've been less but I oogled a bit at how clean the head was!
I got my gasket from Pelican for like $15, they also have how to articles that help a bunch!

How much did changing out your shift cables run ya? I've noticed the rubber boots on mine have ripped and are exposing the metal rods.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 AM
indianajonesy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by UndeR55dawg
Even though I have a base Clubby, I changed mine out last year after noticing oil in the #1 spark well. We have the same motor so it should be similar if not indentical. It took me about an hour to do....would've been less but I oogled a bit at how clean the head was!
I got my gasket from Pelican for like $15, they also have how to articles that help a bunch!
Thanks...looks like the parts listed are for the N12, so I've reached out to them for confirmation that it's the same part. Looks like they have a decent guide for the R56 which should be pretty similar.

Originally Posted by UndeR55dawg
How much did changing out your shift cables run ya? I've noticed the rubber boots on mine have ripped and are exposing the metal rods.
Around $750 for both sides after my club discount, so probably around $950 was what they would quote without that discount. Those rubber bushing parts are what led to the failure on mine. I knew they were worn, but it was a sudden catastrophic failure, leaving me stuck in 3rd in the middle of my commute. Thankfully I had enough momentum to carry me off the road and into a parking lot, but not a fun experience. You could probably do it yourself, but since I had to be towed and didn't know the problem for sure going into it, I just figured I'd pay the piper on this one.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by indianajonesy
We have it just no picture on the listing
https://www.waymotorworks.com/valve-...per-non-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more