Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Profile Gasket / Timing Cover / Oil Pump Gasket / Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 PM
RexNTX
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Profile Gasket / Timing Cover / Oil Pump Gasket / Help!!!

Alright, so I purchased my '05 r50 this past year. I had to have the head replaced, and I had the timing (chain, guides, tensioner) replaced as well. A local shop was paid to do this work for me. The oil pan gasket was leaking when I purchased the car, and I had planned to do this myself after I got the car back from the shop, but when I got the car off the ground and ready to get started I found a special gift from the mechanic who replaced the head and timing. Apparently, he stripped one of the bolts securing the timing cover, and instead of repairing his mistake he decided to plaster a bunch of some silicone like substance all around the edges in an attempt to seal/cover it. I have attached some pics of his work.

My question is have any of you had to replace the timing cover/gasket? If so does anybody know of a good write-up for this?

Profile Gasket / Timing Cover / Oil Pump Gasket / Help!!!-20170114_231017.jpg

Profile Gasket / Timing Cover / Oil Pump Gasket / Help!!!-20170114_231035.jpg

Profile Gasket / Timing Cover / Oil Pump Gasket / Help!!!-20170114_231324.jpg

Last edited by RexNTX; 03-16-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:38 PM
RexNTX
Neutral
Has anybody replaced this gasket without pulling the engine? If so do you know of any videos or write-ups?

Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
You don't have to pull the engine just the right front fender liner. Then you can do it all from there. But with all that rtv it's going to take a minute to get it off. I hack mechanics as it makes us good ones look bad.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-09-2017, 08:21 PM
RexNTX
Neutral
Thanks, I'm hoping I don't find anymore surprises when I get in there.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:05 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by RexNTX
Thanks, I'm hoping I don't find anymore surprises when I get in there.
Apart from the obvious hack job, what really surprised me was this photo (top) of yours, where a bolt alone, occupies the spot in the lower right corner of the timing cover where the idler pulley resides (check my photo, below). Was the engine returned like this - without the idler pulley - perhaps running with an odd belt configuration?

Just saw that your car is an R50...
Does the R50 NOT have the idler pulley (?) that would explain the bolt.

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 05-10-2017 at 07:15 AM.