R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 How many considered a Clubman first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:56 AM
sicklyscott
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many considered a Clubman first?

Hey Folks -

I'm starting to get bored with my current car and was looking into switching over to a JCW. My first choice was a Clubman JCW but choices are slim and I'm concerned about getting a baby into a rear facing car seat. The Countryman looks like it would handle it well but I'd be giving up some of the "light on its feet" feel that I wanted. I did drive a Countryman S a while back and although it felt tossable it didn't feel as lively as the Clubman stock for stock. In the end however I think the Countryman would fit my needs better as a father of a 2 month old in the northeast (AWD helps).

Can you guys answer a couple questions for me?
  1. If you cross-shopped the Countryman with Clubman, why did you chose the Countryman?
  2. Have you dont any modifications to make it feel more sporty? What was the best one?
  3. Even though the Countryman is bigger did you ever find it still limiting?
  4. Does it ever feel too big or too heavy?
  5. Do you know how the All4 works? (i.e. Haldex based?)

Old 07-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Wife originally wanted Clubman but decided it reminded her of a hearse. She also wanted the ALL4, but oddly in the end it became my car and she has a VW Golf TDI.

Mods so far, panel filter and JB+

Size is just about right for our needs, can use the VW when I want small, faster and more torque (loads more).

No idea on how the ALL4 works, it just does, sure footed in snow.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Ragnar4841
2nd Gear
I can only compare it to a Clubman S loaner I had, which felt like a rocket. You will give up some of that. If you go with the sport suspension on the Countryman, it'll be plenty tossable. I have a larger sway bar on my S All4 and could hang with a modern GTI in the corners on the track (it had more HP and pulled away in the straights). That said, for me it was the perfect balance of price, fun, nimbleness, and practicality for me and my family. (FYI, they don't stay in rear facing car seats very long). Haven't regretted it once!

I love the All4 in dry, rain, or snow. I don't know that I could go back to FWD at this point.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
I had my Clubbie S Blue for 5 years before Lucy.

The All 4 makes all the difference in the world. I went JCW and it still lumbers a little compared to old blue. But though I get some body she is amazingly sure footed in hard cornering. Also no torque steer and no tearing up front tires by spinning like I did with my Cubbie. Also can take a couple folks to lunch etc. no problem blend. New Clubbie is out shortly and looks to solve te rear access issues.

I miss the barn doors, great with the dogs and I am just not a hatch person.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:57 AM
RMachuca
2nd Gear
AWD system is pretty much safety biased (as you mentioned, haldex like), with a little persuasion you can have some good fun in the snow (scandinavian flick is your friend). Overall the size is perfect for a small family hauler, and living where i live, the ground clearance is welcome come wintertime. As far as power, its adequate (CM S), and was decent with JB+ and panel air filter. Now im trying to lock down a tune, so we'll see how much that improves the situation.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:47 AM
Csbdr
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sicklyscott
  1. If you cross-shopped the Countryman with Clubman, why did you chose the Countryman?

I looked at both and did the CM for practical size and All4. I have 2 kids to cart around and live in upstate NY up on a snowy ridge.
  2. Have you dont any modifications to make it feel more sporty? What was the best one?

i think the mods which made the most immediate difference were getting rid of the run flats, rear sway bar, JB+, and sprintbooster

Every once in a while I wish for my wife's SUV. I've tied things to the roof racks more than I did when I drove a bigger vehicle, but it's rare.

Really, no. But the only other small car I've owned is a Saab wagon, which this outdrives, and the Mercedes wagon I traded in from, which may as well have been the Hindenburg.

no idea, but it works well. My neighbors I think were taking bets on how I would do over the winter with it. They all drive trucks. I did fine, and we have a steep gravel drive, and some steep downhill sections of the main road to negotiate in winter. Always made it home and felt in control.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:17 PM
Beau B
1st Gear
    Yes, ended up with the CM because of kids and wanted the ALL4 for the winter
    Not yet, as I just bought mine.. however some are in work..
    I am coming from a BMW E30 (Old 3 Series) so I am actually increasing size
    I will have to update when I have a better feel for the car

Old 07-31-2015, 07:01 PM
sicklyscott
1st Gear
Thanks for the responses. It's a tough decision. I really want the speed and agility of the Clubman but the more I look at it the more I realize it's impractical. I have a 2 month old and I can't imagine putting her into a rear facing seat. The access just isn't there.

In short if I could get a Countryman to be as quick as a Clubman I think I'd be happy.

I've been scoping out some of the JCW models and am just waiting for one to be for sale locally so I can take it for a spin.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Main reasons were AWD and something to fit the in-laws in when needed.

R60 has factory sport suspension (a MUST), a K&N panel, VIP front strut bar, and JB+, rear sway is waiting to go on.

We have had 5 MINI's, and currently have an R56 S as well. It has a K&N Panel and a rear sway. The Hardtop is much faster, sportier, lighter, etc. Goes like stink compared to the R60.

But, I still love the R60. It just bombs over everything and doesn't care. Yeah, it is not as direct, but the sway bar will help that. Love launching the AWD - no tire spin, it just goes - and it rocks in the winter.

Have you considered the F56 4 door? I had a loaner S and it was quick, handled well and had a bit more room in the back - which was much more accessible with the back doors.

Good luck!