R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Solid Yellow Engine Light = Scheduled Service Reminder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:47 AM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid Yellow Engine Light = Scheduled Service Reminder?

Hi All-

This is now the third time the yellow engine light has come on in my '11 Countryman. The first two times was accompanied by the warning tone which brought my attention to the fact that it was on.

This time, I was driving normally when I happened to glance at the middle dial and saw the light was on. Great. I didn't notice to that point anything "off" with how the car was driving.

I get to work and call to make an appt today. I mentioned that I was a week away from my scheduled maintenance so I wanted to get that done while they checked the engine light issue. The person who booked the appt told me that she was under the impression that this light can come on as a reminder that scheduled service was due.

Is this true?

Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 AM
jonabad
2nd Gear
That certainly hasn't been my experience...
Scheduled maintenance from the ODB is shown when you first start the car with the miles left/date and a picture of the car on a lift or something similar (oil can, brakes, etc).
The icons and what they mean are all in the book.

The yellow check engine means the engine has thrown some sort of code and wants attention.
If you don't get the half yellow engine in the tach display, then it's probably something simple and maybe as benign as a loose gas cap.
Either way, you should either take it in or have someone read the code to make sure you don't hurt the engine.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:26 AM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jonabad
That certainly hasn't been my experience...
Scheduled maintenance from the ODB is shown when you first start the car with the miles left/date and a picture of the car on a lift or something similar (oil can, brakes, etc).
The icons and what they mean are all in the book.

The yellow check engine means the engine has thrown some sort of code and wants attention.
If you don't get the half yellow engine in the tach display, then it's probably something simple and maybe as benign as a loose gas cap.
Either way, you should either take it in or have someone read the code to make sure you don't hurt the engine.
Oh I'm going today anyway, I was just curious. It didn't sound legit to me, so I figured I'd ask. So that's three yellow lights in the last 8 months, super exciting.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Today it was the Fuel Tank Vent Valve. What it will be next time is anyone's guess.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buddy lee
Today it was the Fuel Tank Vent Valve. What it will be next time is anyone's guess.
And here I was just looking at the string I started regarding "CM Quality", where folks were saying they were having great luck with their CM, and then I see this

It just seems that throwing codes is a normal way of life for Minis and I don't get it. I have been driving Toyotas and Hondas for many years, and I have never, ever thrown a check engine code on a single one of them(including my 2002 Tundra pickup that had 270k miles on the clock). They just never broke, rattled, or anything unpleasant.....is that old saw about the Brits not knowing how to build a reliable car still true(I know the CM is built in Austria, but you get my joke here I'm sure!)

Wow, I am really getting nervous and thinking I would be a fool if I don't get the longest extended warranty Mini will give me when we take delivery....I know folks have said that numerous issues have been resolved on the 2013 CM, but wow.......

Old 06-24-2013, 04:05 PM
PrincessKick
2nd Gear
I got the CEL at 120 miles. Yep, 120 miles. Tried the fuel cap. No dice. Took it in to the dealer and it was my fuel tank vent valve. All better now *knock on wood* Love this car so I hope that's all for now. I took a leap of faith to some degree. I custom ordered her with some unique features. I had previously taken a chance on a VW and had a great experience. Hoping to repeat it.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
I have a 2011, so hope you have better luck. I was staring at the roadsters today at the dealership, not gonna lie.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:51 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
I'm guessing fewer people have trouble with their Hondas and Toyotas because they're boring (the people or the cars? You decide) and not pushed like MINIs are. I love driving hard and pushing my CM to the point that traction breaks and wouldn't trade that feeling for anything.

I also think German thresholds for sensors/warnings are more conservative than Japanese, but that's just speculation.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 AM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
I'm guessing fewer people have trouble with their Hondas and Toyotas because they're boring (the people or the cars? You decide) and not pushed like MINIs are. I love driving hard and pushing my CM to the point that traction breaks and wouldn't trade that feeling for anything.

I also think German thresholds for sensors/warnings are more conservative than Japanese, but that's just speculation.
I personally drive mine pretty conservatively for the most part, BECAUSE I don't want to end up in the service bay... seems to not work for me.

As far as buying an extended warranty, am I the only person who buys a Mini knowing it's a car I'm only going to keep for 4-5 years then get out of it before something major breaks (then probably buy another new one)? If I wanted something to keep for 10 years I would've bought a Camry, etc.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:53 PM
kiki511
2nd Gear
I personally drive mine pretty conservatively for the most part, BECAUSE I don't want to end up in the service bay... seems to not work for me.

As far as buying an extended warranty, am I the only person who buys a Mini knowing it's a car I'm only going to keep for 4-5 years then get out of it before something major breaks (then probably buy another new one)? If I wanted something to keep for 10 years I would've bought a Camry, etc.
You are definitely NOT the only person...I'm totally with you on that one. 4 years max for me.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:16 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
+1
I was quietly praying the whole way to the dealer to drop my Clubbie off with 55K on it. It was a long 220 mile drive. A local person offered me more than the dealer trade but I didn't want that one coming back at me in 2 or 3 months when somehting let loose. Trade to the dealer is clean, I have extended warrenty on my new one so it is gone in 6.