R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Questions on buying a new Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
angler
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on buying a new Countryman

I am in the process of buying a new countryman and wanted to know what people are paying over invoice for the car. Any input would be welcomed! Many thanks,

Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
MSRP + free floor mats

The key is to get the most money for your trade and or interest rate.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most were getting @ $1000 off MSRP (at least that what I got). But right now is an odd time, as dealers know the 2012's wont be here till September they might hold a 2011 that fits your needs/wants ransom if they know it, another month and they may be giving an even bigger discount as you could just opt for a 2012.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 PM
angler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by buddy lee
MSRP + free floor mats

The key is to get the most money for your trade and or interest rate.
I would never pay msrp for any car......

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM
angler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Most were getting @ $1000 off MSRP (at least that what I got). But right now is an odd time, as dealers know the 2012's wont be here till September they might hold a 2011 that fits your needs/wants ransom if they know it, another month and they may be giving an even bigger discount as you could just opt for a 2012.
it's for my wife so we do not mind waiting for the 2012. in the past when i have bought cars i just agree to invoice + (something) then it does not matter how i build the car because its a done deal.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:32 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by angler
Ever buy a Mini before?

I walked out of my local dealership TWICE and went to the next closest one (2+ hours away) to get the deal I was looking for.

The first dealer has yet to call me back with a better offer.

No one's budging on price, well here anyway.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
angler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by buddy lee
Ever buy a Mini before?

I walked out of my local dealership TWICE and went to the next closest one (2+ hours away) to get the deal I was looking for.

The first dealer has yet to call me back with a better offer.

No one's budging on price, well here anyway.
so are you saying people are really paying msrp?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Tacoman03
3rd Gear
One of the primary reasons MINI's hold their value so well is that 98% sell for MSRP. Every once in awhile, MINI will run a deal like free automatic or free pkg upgrade, this way the brand isn't "devalued" in the process. My first was for MSRP plus mats and stripes, and armrest(2009 Clubman). My Countryman was adiffernet deal as it was a Trade Assit as BMW/MINI had to take my Clubman back "prematurely"....

Old 07-19-2011, 03:31 PM
coldnorth
1st Gear
I got the $1000 Mini "Rocks..." discount and an additional $500 from the dealer. This was in May. My MA is saying that inventory is drying up and they expect to run out of 2011 CM's. I would bet that discounts are harder to come by now. When the 2012 hit the lot it may ease up.
CN

Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 PM
surfwagon
1st Gear
Buying a mini is a difference experience. Looking other brands and these dealers were offering between $4K to $10K off the MSRP... mini-not so much. Theorectically though you'll get back your premium-close-to-msrp price back on the resale. Also, there are very few mini dealers, so there no/little competition between dealers which helps them support a close to msrp price. lexus does this too.

other factors include how many CMs your dealer was allocated, how many he has on the lot, color, geography (some markets are hotter than others).

For reference, I got a little over $1,750 off msrp at the end of june and my other car crapped out, so i wasn't in much of a position to wait it out.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
most do, especially depending on area. We have 2 dealers in my state, both owned by the same guy. One in Portland. And these are in high demand in the PNW, so there is no budging off MSRP without a MINI USA sponsored deal. I paid MSRP, minus a thousand for the rock the rivals, and had floor mats and the labor for the stripes thrown in.

Tried to do the Costco financing out of state, dealership wouldn't sell one. Suppose to be invoice + $1250, they offered $250 off MSRP

Old 07-20-2011, 05:14 AM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are more likely to get a discount off of MSRP if you buy one off the lot. I was offered $1000 off on one, but I passed because it wasn't what I wanted. Because I ordered, I paid MSRP. Much harder to negotiate on a custom order, esp. if it's got a lot of stuff that the dealer would not normally pick to sell off the lot (too many options ). If you want a better deal, be flexible and you can probably work a good deal. Also, timing is key. They get a limited number of allocations (per month?). If they have a lot, they are more willing to work with you. If they only have one or two, maybe not. Mini/BMW does not operate like a normal dealer channel where they try to maximize the sales pipeline, i.e., if you show up at the end of the month you can get a deal when the dealer tries to hit their numbers. Not so much with Mini.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 AM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
Too bad because the MINI really is a fun car. It's a small price to pay for ordering a car the way YOU want it. But we all understand...that's what everybody here said...before they paid MSRP for their MINI

Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
That's what I thought before we bought our Mini. It went against everything in me to pay sticker so I went through a car buying service with our Insurance company. Paid $1800 over invoice.

You can find these buying services other places such as Consumer Reports. The fee you pay for the service more than makes up for the savings. Thing is....limited dealers participate. We ended up driving an hour further to pick up our special order car.

Just my 2 cents for a Wednesday morning....

Old 07-21-2011, 05:50 PM
angler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DeuceBigelow
Too bad because the MINI really is a fun car. It's a small price to pay for ordering a car the way YOU want it. But we all understand...that's what everybody here said...before they paid MSRP for their MINI
i did not have to pay msrp. just cut a deal for 1000 over invoice i find it easier to cut a deal when you order a car. it becomes a simple process for the dealer agree to a price over invoice, build the car and order it. takes 30 minutes at the most. no msrp for me

Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No dealer around here would do that. Best they did was $1000 off msrp. How do you know what invoice is for the particular configuration you are ordering ... unless you don't order any options, just the base models.

i did not have to pay msrp. just cut a deal for 1000 over invoice i find it easier to cut a deal when you order a car. it becomes a simple process for the dealer agree to a price over invoice, build the car and order it. takes 30 minutes at the most. no msrp for me

Last edited by sirbikes; 07-21-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 PM
angler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
No dealer around here would do that. Best they did was $1000 off msrp. Where do you live? I'm betting CA.
i live in the north east

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Let us know how long the salesman laughs for

Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 PM
angler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
Let us know how long the salesman laughs for
no idea what you are talking about?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
CM51
2nd Gear

My experience was exactly the opposite I was told I'd pay MSRP unless I bought one off the lot because they were willing to deal to move what they already had there. Unfortunately they didn't have anything near what I wanted and I decided to order one. I only got a small discount off of MSRP and all weather floor mats (whoopie).

I'm not saying what you claim isn't true, but it's hard to believe after reading through other people's experiences here. If that's the deal you got, good for you, but I think it's a very rare exception to the general rule of paying near MSRP. I never say never though, if I was given your deal I'd be telling everyone about it too.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM
angler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CM51
My experience was exactly the opposite I was told I'd pay MSRP unless I bought one off the lot because they were willing to deal to move what they already had there. Unfortunately they didn't have anything near what I wanted and I decided to order one. I only got a small discount off of MSRP and all weather floor mats (whoopie).

I'm not saying what you claim isn't true, but it's hard to believe after reading through other people's experiences here. If that's the deal you got, good for you, but I think it's a very rare exception to the general rule of paying near MSRP. I never say never though, if I was given your deal I'd be telling everyone about it too.
not sure what to say. the last 5 cars i have purchased have all been based off of invoice plus. i do my research go in and say if you are willing to sell me this car at this price over invoice i will sign the papers now. it has always worked and they sell a car within 15 minutes without any work.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
CM51
2nd Gear
not sure what to say. the last 5 cars i have purchased have all been based off of invoice plus. i do my research go in and say if you are willing to sell me this car at this price over invoice i will sign the papers now. it has always worked and they sell a car within 15 minutes without any work.
Eh, not knowing what you got I'm assuming an S with no options. Actually looking at the invoice numbers from edmunds and truecar, if you paid $1000 over invoice it looks like you got somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300-$1500 off of MSRP. I can see that happening at the right dealer for the right car and I think others may have gotten even better deals here

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-to-msrp.html

It's just semantics I guess. Most people described their purchase prices as off MSRP instead of the other way around. So I guess in spirit I went in and said "I'll pay $2500 over Invoice and you've got a deal." Hey it does sound better that way! Rather than saying I got a small discount off of MRSP I only paid a bunch over invoice.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:04 PM
CM51
2nd Gear
I just calculated my actual build on truecar and according to them I only paid $2000 over invoice! Honestly, I am not being sarcastic, it actually makes me feel better about my price. It's all about getting perspective, thanks Angler!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 PM
angler
1st Gear
Eh, not knowing what you got I'm assuming an S with no options. Actually looking at the invoice numbers from edmunds and truecar, if you paid $1000 over invoice it looks like you got somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300-$1500 off of MSRP. I can see that happening at the right dealer for the right car and I think others may have gotten even better deals here

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-to-msrp.html

It's just semantics I guess. Most people described their purchase prices as off MSRP instead of the other way around. So I guess in spirit I went in and said "I'll pay $2500 over Invoice and you've got a deal." Hey it does sound better that way! Rather than saying I got a small discount off of MRSP I only paid a bunch over invoice.
not really, i fully loaded the car. i work off invoice in the beginning before i build the car with them that way they are not marking up my options. not sure what all these responses are about. i posted my experience to let other people know there are other models on how to buy a car.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM
angler
1st Gear
I just calculated my actual build on truecar and according to them I only paid $2000 over invoice! Honestly, I am not being sarcastic, it actually makes me feel better about my price. It's all about getting perspective, thanks Angler!
your welcome. i fully loaded the car. i always agree to the price before building the car so the dealer does not mark up the options. i only posted this to show there are other models on how to buy a car. once you agree to invoice + the rest of the deal takes care of itself. it's a very clean way to buy.

Quick Reply: R60 Questions on buying a new Countryman