1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Turbo Timer

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Timer

Hey guys i was wondering about a turbo timer for the CMS all4 this will be my first turbo vechical so was ot sure if i needed to get one? Found this thread about it on the r56 there are some mix views on it so i didn't know if the CMS would need one. Give me you wisdom thanks

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-install.html

Old 04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
silvernuke
3rd Gear
Modern everyday turbos do not require turbo timer.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
This will be my fifth car with a turbo(s), never had any need for a timer, complete waste of money. Now a boost gauge I find useful, certainly not a necessity.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Hobie44610
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo timers run in conjunction with an EGT sensor (exhaust gas temperature) which is a probe that is drilled and tapped into the exhaust manifold. This is strictly an aftermarket item.

From my experience in light diesel pickup trucks they are commonly used in diesel pickup trucks that tow heavy 8K-15K 5th wheel trailers (horse trailers, equipment trailers, etc.). In those applications the owner generally installs a pyrometer to monitor the EGT among other gauges tranny fluid temp, boost, oil pressure, engine oil temp, engine coolant temp. Especially under load on steep inclines over long distances.

A turbo timer allows a few minutes of engine run time before shut down to prevent oil coking in the turbo according to the EGT sensor, computer, etc. The use of synthetic oil greatly reduces coking in the turbo.

I don't believe you have anything to worry about under normal use in the CMS.

But if you drive the CMS real hard and have 4 adults (or a heavy payload) in the vehicle at highway speed on a hot day I would say that it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just let it idle for a few minutes before you shut her down.

The few pennies it may cost in gasoline to idle the engine could prevent costly repair (out of warrantee) let alone the loss of use of your vehicle for the duration it takes to be repaired.

Pay to Play

Old 04-08-2011, 04:39 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Your All4 already has it's own version of a turbo timer, there's an electric water pump that circulates coolant thru the center bearing housing after shut down to keep it from overheating and coking the oil. Also, since your turbo is water cooled, there's no need to let it idle before shutdown.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:51 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Your All4 already has it's own version of a turbo timer, there's an electric water pump that circulates coolant thru the center bearing housing after shut down to keep it from overheating and coking the oil. Also, since your turbo is water cooled, there's no need to let it idle before shutdown.
Water cooled? I thought they were oil cooled, hence why they consume oil (according to my SA).

Old 04-09-2011, 04:25 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Thanks I was wondering what that noise was after i turn off the car. I try not to go into boost about 5 min before reaching my home or work.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
Nice guys thanks for the info. I was worried about the oil cooking in the turbo but it sounds if that will not happen, and I dont think i will be pulling anything heavy or crazy stuff like that. I will be getting a boost gauge thow, so jsut was wondering a friend had one on his audi S4 and he drove the crap out of that car. So i was just making sure before Panthro came in.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mavryk03
Nice guys thanks for the info. I was worried about the oil cooking in the turbo but it sounds if that will not happen, and I dont think i will be pulling anything heavy or crazy stuff like that. I will be getting a boost gauge thow, so jsut was wondering a friend had one on his audi S4 and he drove the crap out of that car. So i was just making sure before Panthro came in.

I got the Scan gaugeII which has the boost, hp, water temp volt, plus more just connect to the obi2

Old 04-14-2011, 07:11 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Black56S
Water cooled? I thought they were oil cooled, hence why they consume oil (according to my SA).
Your SA needs to learn more about his product or maybe you didn't hear him correctly. The turbo does have oil under pressure running thru the bearings, of course, and that does serve some cooling function as well, but it also has a water jacket and coolant from the engine circulates thru it both while it's running and immediately after shutdown, depending on the engine temp and usage. There is an electric water pump that circulates the coolant thru it, you can hear it if you park in a garage, although sometimes the radiator fan is running too and might mask the pump sound.

Your turbo should not consume oil, mine doesn't. However in my opinion if you don't change oil about twice a year or every 7500 or so, you risk sludging of the turbo's oil return line - the one that drains the oil from the bearing back to the sump - and this can cause an overpressure of the seal and cause the turbo to burn oil. Some people have lost the turbo due to this and a couple have lost the engine, of course MINI is not admitting that the long oil change interval is the culprit, but something caused those drain lines to sludge up. My opinion is that a more frequent oil change would have prevented the problem. Strictly my opinion mind you.....

Old 09-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Texas Miniac
2nd Gear
Bringing this thread back.. Some good info posted about the possible need of Turbo Timers for our Mini Cooper S. Basically, I was in discussion with someone about turbo cars, and made me wonder about our '11 R56 and if it needed one. Now I'm educated a little more on our car!