R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 F'ing Nav/Audio/Connected Interface

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM
PDM-DC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F'ing Nav/Audio/Connected Interface

OK, let me preface this by saying I generally am quite happy with the Countryman, and I very much like all of the entertainment options offered by the MINI Connected system. And I very much appreciate that the MINI Connected system is to some extent a work in progress, and glitches/bugs are to be expected.

But, holy crap, I hate this interface. HATE IT. I find myself cursing the damn radio every time I drive this car. Some of my issues include:

1. There's no single "input" button that scrolls through the available audio inputs (as there is in my '08 BMW, which uses the old iDrive setup). Get in the car and want to stop listening to the kid's princess CD? Look down at the screen, press the home button, cycle to the input you want, click on it.

2. Inexplicably, there are "FM/AM" and "CD" buttons, but these don't bring up Sirius. EDIT: Nor do they bring up presets. Instead, they bring up all FM radio stations. As currently set up, the RDS tags from the radio stations are displayed and the frequency is not, which leads to a weird guessing game. I still haven't figured out how to access the other HD feeds from the local stations, though I haven't really tried that hard.

3. "External devices" is a submenu; once you are in "External devices," you need to back out to get to CD. WHY?

4. The logic behind when you need to click on something and when you need to push the horse nipple between the seats to the right to select something is complex enough that I still do the wrong thing 50 percent of the time.

5. The horse nipple itself is too damn small; the iDrive control wheel is large enough that you can spin it with a loose grip, but the MINI controller requires more effort and is far fiddlier. Feels more delicate, too--I fully expect it to break at some point.

6. When listening to Sirius using presets, there doesn't appear to be a way to make it default to showing artist/track information. Instead, you first have to switch to the preset screen, slide the controller to the right (or click? Can't remember), then look at the screen and select "display information."

7. WHY IS THERE NO BACK BUTTON? The button on the right of the horse nipple, which should logically be a back button, instead brings up contacts.

8. Except that there is a back button when you use the iPod interface. The iPod interface is 200 times better designed than the normal MINI interface, except that:

8a: There's no clock anywhere in the car when you have the iPod interface running, and

8b: The scrolling for the iPod inteface is reversed. The iPod interface works in the American standard way--clockwise is "down" the list. The rest of the interface works in what appears to be the German standard way--counter-clockwise is "down" the list.

9. Facebook integration is the stupidest gimmick ever, especially since the screen on the car is too small to actually display the entirety of anyone's status updates without clicking/scrolling. It would be much faster/less dangerous to just check your phone.

10. Pandora integration is nice, except that you have to start Pandora on the phone for it to work, which means that MINI Connected doesn't work (and, of course, unless you think to do it before setting off you have to fumble with the phone while it's connected to the car in between the front seats). Also, when you are listening to Pandora and want to listen to Sirius, calling up presets just gives you an empty list. You have to switch to Sirius and THEN switch to presets.

11. The three times I've used it, the Nav has sent me bizarre ways. And there's no split screen, so if you are using Nav, you can't do anything else.

All in all, it's an ambitious system that has huge, gaping flaws that make it more frustrating than it's currently worth. Indeed, it does what heretofore thought was impossible--make iDrive look like a paragon of efficient UI design. Frankly, if I had to order the car again I don't think I'd get Connected or Nav.

Last edited by PDM-DC; 02-11-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:42 AM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Horse nipple

6. When listening to Sirius using presets, there doesn't appear to be a way to make it default to showing artist/track information. Instead, you first have to switch to the preset screen, slide the controller to the right (or click? Can't remember), then look at the screen and select "display information."

7. WHY IS THERE NO BACK BUTTON? The button on the right of the horse nipple, which should logically be a back button, instead brings up contacts.

The thing with the presets kills me, I hope there is a software upgrade for this

The button to the right of the horse nipple does function as a back button for me. it pretty much toggles between, NAV, Radio/Audio and phone for me

Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by PDM-DC
11. The three times I've used it, the Nav has sent me bizarre ways. And there's no split screen, so if you are using Nav, you can't do anything else.
Agree that the routing algorithms leave a lot to be desired. But I think the problem lies in the routing preference selections. "Fast" does not result in automatic selection of highways when you think that it should. "Efficient" seems to work best for me though we have only used it a handfull of times thus far. On "Fast", it wanted to put me on back roads to return home from the city when the expressway entrace was within 1/4 mile. Made no sense to me. No options to fine tune like maximize highways or some such thing.

I'm also disappointed that street names for every street are not displayed at highest zoom level.

The system can use a lot of improvements for sure. Hopefully future software upgrades will fix some of these usability issues.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What ever happened to the voice control with Connected?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This has been ramping up ever since they took the tubes out and added FM. Eventually, it comes down to how much you can cram in that little box behind the dash. That said - every system has it's champions and critics. I was fine with the system in my Mazda3, my SO hated it. The one in the Mercedes is way out of date and a major push-button disaster. My current BMW frustrates the bejezes out of me. Meanwhile, the portable Garmin gets me there every time. I think you see the problem - trying to design a system that does everything that everybody wants it to while everybody wants something different and is wants to use it their way. Over time, we'll learn the limitations and the work arounds. And they'll do some updates. Meanwhile - enjoy the drive and try to remember when AM KDKA was all there was.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least we have the possibility of an update. Lot's of other car models are just stuck with what they have and don't even have the option to update.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 PM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
I don't mean to by cynical, but I don't imagine that they will update the built-in interface.

Part of the marketing spiel of Connected is that "it can be updated". What's not being said here is "unlike the built-in systems on the vehicle which can't".

At some point soon, I would hope that car manufacturers finally "get" that their infomatics systems are just computers, and will get around to updating them, but I don't think that they think of them like that today.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
PDM-DC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cyberwoozle
I don't mean to by cynical, but I don't imagine that they will update the built-in interface.

Part of the marketing spiel of Connected is that "it can be updated". What's not being said here is "unlike the built-in systems on the vehicle which can't".

At some point soon, I would hope that car manufacturers finally "get" that their infomatics systems are just computers, and will get around to updating them, but I don't think that they think of them like that today.
It's an interesting point. At least some carmakers are doing this already--Ford has had updates for the Sync system in some of its cars to add functionality. I suspect that this will become more common as these systems get more complex and feature-rich (and as carmakers continue to realize that this is an area where they can really distinguish themselves from their competition).

Old 02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cyberwoozle

Maybe, but the Countryman does a USB port exclusively used for system software updates. There is also a page on the MINI website where some updates could be posted. Lastly, I have owned Porsche PCM systems that were updated over time to improve functionality. So while it is not an expectation, all the trimmings are there in order to make it happen. I'm not counting on it, but I'm not counting it out yet either.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My question is why would they want to spend the time and money on a Nav system when all they really need to do is build an interface for TomTom, Google Maps etc. They have the screen, antennas, receivers, amps and the gps. Why buy the rights to maps etc. Worry about building the car not the Nav. Follow the droid/apple model and let us buy apps from a "store" they'll make more money and we'll have a product.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
My question is why would they want to spend the time and money on a Nav system when all they really need to do is build an interface for TomTom, Google Maps etc. They have the screen, antennas, receivers, amps and the gps. Why buy the rights to maps etc. Worry about building the car not the Nav. Follow the droid/apple model and let us buy apps from a "store" they'll make more money and we'll have a product.
I totally agree with that. Or put a recessed rectangle where the screen is now, big enough to most smart-phones in (or a way to drop an iPad down from the top perhaps??).

Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 AM
jaded-7
Neutral
So, with connected will it pull up what ever is on the screen on your phone? IE. If my droid/iphone is giving me driving directions will it show up on the mini's screen?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:22 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Technically it can, software wise not yet. I can't wait for someone with the right tech knowledge to play with it and "JailBreak" it.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jaded-7
So, with connected will it pull up what ever is on the screen on your phone? IE. If my droid/iphone is giving me driving directions will it show up on the mini's screen?
No and I wouldn't ever count on it. While technically possible I suppose it would require that someone hack the Connected firmware. I wouldnt hold my breath. Not like Apple hacks where there are millions of devices and plenty of developers. This community is a fraction of that size.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:54 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Don't sell us short MidNight. Per capita this is a pretty high IQ bunch. I drag the average down a little, but I have faith someone will figure it out. Plus, we would all pay quite a bit more than 1.99 to get an app. I'm toying with NCSExpert to tweak settings. It can't be that hard.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Picked up my Countryman last Evening (Cosmo) until a better name can be thought of!! The Drive is unbelievable. ..But a lot of other issues..mostly Mini Connect and Navigation...well actually no Navigation..Any one else with issues in this area??. ..other than just being somewhat complicated to use

Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 AM
rsbell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyer53
Picked up my Countryman last Evening (Cosmo) until a better name can be thought of!! The Drive is unbelievable. ..But a lot of other issues..mostly Mini Connect and Navigation...well actually no Navigation..Any one else with issues in this area??. ..other than just being somewhat complicated to use
Awesome to hear you picked it up!

BUT, what issues exactly are you having?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Yes finally...Guess just need to be patient with all the technological issues

Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 AM
CFRM
2nd Gear
If you push the joystick to de left it serves as a back button, if you push it to the right you should be able to open the options menu. In there you can change, for example, the radio frequencies .
Cheers!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
CFRM ...I have the joy thing down pretty good just can't get into the Nav. as its keeps asking for the Access code which I have and last night my MA entered in 6 times in front of me..and still did not take. But at the same time the Tech who checked it in and did all the pre-delivery inspection stuff said he entered it and was working fine ....So the dealership is thinking its a software glitch! Know putting a report together and submitting to Mini. Anyone experience the same ?

Old 02-12-2011, 04:56 PM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
Flyer...

Had exact same problem. My MA entered the code multiple times. It worked temporarily then it stopped. Had to get code again. Not sure if it was a new code or not. I entered it once. Didn't work. Entered it again and it worked. Definitely a software glitch.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
So matt, did they get a whole new code? If so from where & how long?
Thanks for your reply !! I'm lost (not really) I just depend on it as I travel. Had one in my leased Infiniti and really don't want a portable one, besides we payed big bucks for it!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 PM
jmdor
4th Gear
I think I read somewhere that the codes are only good for so long... they may have to get a new one from the secret mini-programmers.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Thanks jmdor, have you picked yours up yet? That's right close twins!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Lenmonster
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
Maybe, but the Countryman does a USB port exclusively used for system software updates. There is also a page on the MINI website where some updates could be posted. Lastly, I have owned Porsche PCM systems that were updated over time to improve functionality. So while it is not an expectation, all the trimmings are there in order to make it happen. I'm not counting on it, but I'm not counting it out yet either.
The Nav feature page on the MINI site specifically says that maps can be updated via the USB in the glovebox. So there is hope.

Quick Reply: R60 F'ing Nav/Audio/Connected Interface