R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 One touch window for my Roadster friends...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 02:13 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
One touch window for my Roadster friends...

I've decided to try Carista, an ODB2 dongle and app to diagnose codes and customization. For someone that wasn't too sure about investing time in the BMW software this is great for my needs...

Main point is that I now have the one touch up window function working which is fantastic

However it is not ready yet on the main app. They offered me to be a beta tester. But I'm confident it will be included in the main app update soon I would think...

There are quite a few other functionality that I'm going to have to try as well...

Old 12-17-2016, 03:36 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting reviews on that app. Many people complaining that once you get the beta version they lock you into a subscription model. Choose "all reviews" and read. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:55 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spiney
Interesting reviews on that app. Many people complaining that once you get the beta version they lock you into a subscription model. Choose "all reviews" and read. Good luck.
Well I was getting a yearly suscription with a free trial for a month, when I asked about the one touch window up or down. He said I could try the beta testing program. To which point I can still return my purchase by the end of the month if I don't desire to keeping the suscription, and I won't have access to the app anymore as normally planned. This (the free trial) is only possible because I purchased their ODB2 dongle.
I might keep it for one year anyway. I figured, between having access to the code reader, and having these extra customization, It is reasonable as a one time one year price package in my opinion. Anything BMW option would cost twice that at least. After that, I find it a little pricey so I may treat it as a one year one time purchase. And in the future if I really need it I'll just get that one week pass.
Otherwise I'll just ditch the suscription and I won't feel tricked .

I think people unfairly want things for free all the time, not realizing the development time behind. Truth be told, a beta version isn't the the same thing as a trial version. A Beta version just means you get to test pre-released versions. It's more taking a risk it may not work vs. having access to latest features in the works. It has nothing to do with being a paid version or not. I've been part of a few beta testing program. They all have been an extension of owning the software in the first place. Its not always the case, but it's two different things from a trial.
If people don't want to pay than they will have to wait

Either way, I'm really happy I got the feature which even for a week suscription it wouldn't be a bad price (granted you need the ODB dongle in the first place). Just the fact that these guys can do it in a simple app is great I think...
I've started an other thread in the general MINI section. I plan on showing all the custom options it provides...

Last edited by TG.; 12-17-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:23 AM
spiney
6th Gear
I'm a product manager/marketing technologist/Scrum product owner for the software that we ship with our equipment, so I know only too well what it costs to develop stuff, and that most users (even/especially billion dollar corporations!) won't pay for anything.

Subscription models are absolutely fine if people know that going in, but there were a lot of reviews along the bait-and-switch line that I wanted people to understand before they jumped in. There were reviews along the lines of "I wanted feature X, was told that's only in the beta, then when I had switched to the beta I found it expired every month and now they wanted subscription fees to keep it active, and I couldn't switch back to the regular app any more".

I'm glad it's working for you. I got Carly and have been able to do a few things with my generic OBDII adapter but it's time to go buy theirs, there are some ECUs that just won't program with my adapter.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:05 PM
TG.
6th Gear
These guys are most likely just a start-up company and most likely they didn't handle very well their customers when they evolved to their new price structure, and the software suscription changes that came with it. My wild guess is that this is when most of those comments happened.
Some people who commented in that group also show that they actually don't understand very well the subscription and don't make a lot of effort to ask questions when they are offered a beta testing version... And I would agree that's a bit of a fail if your product isn't well spelled out. It leaves people with a sense of being ripped off.

I'm not defending them really. I even expressed my disappointment with their suscription models, especially with that weekly pass (what's with that?). I think they'll just have to evolve, make it or break it, as most start-up company do, especially when their biggest enemy is themselves and their ability to keep their product appeal positive, which is when things start to get a little dicy, when people are complaining from lack of understanding which has ripple effects.

Personally I'm not encouraging anyone the be a beta tester. It's a risk and one has to assume that risk. All I see is a product with some potential and having tried it can provide insight on what feature might be available for their next official release.

Ultimately if one isn't happy about the price structure or don't see the value per $, then they shouldn't try to circumvent it and hope they'll get it for free or cheaper. Which I think is what's happening with those people who aren't happy... I have had a few email exchange with the guy and found that he was very helpful. He even made sure I understood I wouldn't be charge anything more with the beta version, that those transactions are fake in that version, which is also a statement that pops up when installing the beta version.

Personally I think their suscription models are a mistake in the long run, it doesn't feel sustainable. But it's their decision. I also would agree they aren't doing a very good job at presenting what the product can and can't do for each car model. I'm sure it is hard for them to do that, and why they feel the pressure to gather information through beta testing program. But that too is their problem.

I have not heard of any ODB2 offer that can do some of the thing they can do so to me it was just what made me try it. And so far I do like it. It's way too slow but I like it since I know I won't be doing this frequently. I like the code reader information which seems to give the MINI codes. It had found all the code errors triggered when I use the custom spare tire mount I made. I was able to clear that. more recently it popped the code for the rear brakes I know I have to change. But would I pay $40 every year for that. Doubtful. Would I pay their weekly pass for $9. On some occasion. Would I pay $9 for a month, definitely, a lot more useful to me and stays competitive with more expensive scan tool readers.

hey I might even try Carly at some point to see how it compares...
What coding to you get with Carly?

Old 12-17-2016, 02:02 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
What coding to you get with Carly?
I've not done much yet, due to the ECU I really wanted to get to (the SPEG) not being accessible with my generic adapter. I have:
- enabled a gearshift indicator (if you're not in Sport mode it tells you when to change up/down, seems a bit economy-focused and I'm always in Sport so it's not been that useful)
- made it so that you can't set off the alarm by holding the trunk release on the remote for too long (I was always doing this, usually at work in a lot full of colleagues...)
- changed the three-flash indicators to five flashes
- tried to enable the brake force indication on the brake lights (I've not been able to see if this worked yet, my wife isn't keen to follow me closely as I brake like a maniac, one day I'll hook up the GoPro and try to see)

Old 12-18-2016, 05:16 AM
autobahn256
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a friend code my using Carly.
- Changed digital speedometer to show real speed
- Windows up with the remote
- Headlights on when I push the trunk button on the remote
- 5 blinks instead of 3
- European style flashers
- Fog lights stay on with hi-beams

Old 12-23-2016, 07:32 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Great, it's good to see some comparisons

@ Spiney:
"- enabled a gearshift indicator (if you're not in Sport mode it tells you when to change up/down, seems a bit economy-focused and I'm always in Sport so it's not been that useful)"
I didn't see that one in Carista. Interesting. You mean in manual mode, not in sport mode, correct? or is it because you drive a stick shift? I could see it useful for automatic vehicle, especially to help out get adjusted to the manual mode on a Automatic tranny.

"- made it so that you can't set off the alarm by holding the trunk release on the remote for too long (I was always doing this, usually at work in a lot full of colleagues...)"
Been there, done that! It happened to me at a car show. I was taking pictures and while crouching, the pressure on the key in my pocket set off the alarm. A little embarrassing since we just had the car for a time and it took me a moment to shut it off...
I din't see that in Carista.

"- changed the three-flash indicators to five flashes"
That's in Carista which I'm going to change as well

"- tried to enable the brake force indication on the brake lights (I've not been able to see if this worked yet, my wife isn't keen to follow me closely as I brake like a maniac, one day I'll hook up the GoPro and try to see)"
I'm not sure I know what this is (?)

@ Autobahn
"- Changed digital speedometer to show real speed"
Not in Carista yet. Discussed above

- Windows up with the remote
In Carista. I set it and it works

"- Headlights on when I push the trunk button on the remote"
In Carista I believe though I have not tried it yet

"- 5 blinks instead of 3"
In Carista though I have not tried it yet but intend to

"- European style flashers"
I'll have to look into that

"- Fog lights stay on with hi-beams"
In Carista I believe though I have not tried it yet

Last edited by TG.; 12-23-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:56 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Great, it's good to see some comparisons
"- enabled a gearshift indicator (if you're not in Sport mode it tells you when to change up/down, seems a bit economy-focused and I'm always in Sport so it's not been that useful)"
I didn't see that one in Carista. Interesting. You mean in manual mode, not in sport mode, correct? or is it because you drive a stick shift? I could see it useful for automatic vehicle, especially to help out get adjusted to the manual mode on a Automatic tranny.
I have a manual. If you're not if Sport mode it displays things like 6^ to tell you to go up or 4v to go down. Seems to want you to go up really early and you have to almost stall it before it tells you to go down. Might be good for economy-minded driving, but who does that in a Roadster? I was hoping it would work like a poor man's JCW shift light, but no such luck. If you're in Sport mode it just gives a simultaneous ^v, basically telling you to do what you want!

Originally Posted by TG.
"- tried to enable the brake force indication on the brake lights (I've not been able to see if this worked yet, my wife isn't keen to follow me closely as I brake like a maniac, one day I'll hook up the GoPro and try to see)"
I'm not sure I know what this is (?)
It's suppose to modulate the intensity or flash some of the brake lights dependent on how hard you're trying to stop. I'm not sure if it's even possible on the MINI, could be just a leftover code from BMW. As I can't see the brake lights when driving, and as I said, my wife won't follow me while I'm doing panic stops and tell me what's happening, I have no idea if it works!

Old 12-23-2016, 08:09 AM
autobahn256
1st Gear
The European Style Flashers are pretty cool inside the vehicle. Different clicking and light pattern. Outside the vehicle, I did not really notice a difference.

Also, Carly had the option to power fold the mirrors with the ignition on and off. I elected to leave that one alone.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:10 PM
spiney
6th Gear
On another Carly note, it just saved me a trip to the dealer (or AutoZone). Check engine light came on after the car had been sat for a week. I broke out Carly, it showed two mass airflow sensor codes that I just cleared and they didn't come back!

Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 PM
arro
1st Gear
Carly and Carista...

Two things I was really interested in: one-touch up, and closing windows with remote.

First I ordered Carista from Amazon, and the IOS app. It connected fine, but the menu of coding modifications that displayed on the interface was much less than suggested by the webpage when looking up the R59. And then the only one that would actually work was door-unlocking with ignition off. I emailed their customer service and received no word for three business days. That was disappointing, so I returned it to Amazon (with absolutely no hassle). The IOS app was still within the trial period, so I cancelled that before a charge was assessed. (To their credit, Carista customer service did respond on the fourth day--but I had just dropped the OBD2 device in the FedEx box to return.)

Next I ordered Carly from Amazon, and the IOS app. It also connected just fine--and the menu of modifications was extensive; however, it did not list the 'one-touch up,' and the listed 'close windows from remote' did not work.

One very nice option that did work was to make my fogs DLR--so I'm saving some Bi-Xenon life hours. Also adjusted my speedometer to the real speed, not BMW speed. And locking doors at 20mph/unlocking at ignition off.

Still, I really really wanted to roll up the windows from my remote--and that is listed on the webpage--and that is listed in the menu of options once the app is connected to my car. But it just doesn't take.

When I made the purchase I began receiving very nice emails assuring me that any question would be answered--and giving instructions on how to send the diagnostic logs from the IOS app. So I did ask questions; however, each query was responded with another very polite note with links to sections of the FAQ from the website. It is as if it was just a bot picking keywords out of my query and automatically sending corresponding FAQs.

At one point I even asked if a human was even looking at my email--and I got and FAQ about customer service. No one ever responded to the diagnostic log I sent.

So, I know this is difficult--and there's no way they can test their code modifications on every make/model/year. And I know tech companies save time and money by automating as much as they can. (And there may even be a significant language barrier.)

I'm keeping the Carly, and I would recommend any MINI/BMW owner try it with the caveat that not everything may work as described. Enough worked for me that I'm comfortable with the price-point.