R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Snow and Comfort Access

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM
dannylo77
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Snow and Comfort Access

Can anyone give an thorough input of the Comfort Access for the convertible? Also driving in the snow in Colorado weather? And lastly the alarm for the roadster: does it have motion detection in case someone cuts the top? Any major security concerns so far?
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 AM
TheZlog
4th Gear
I like the comfort access very much, especially that when you lock the car via the buttons on the handles it also turns the alarm on (My mazda did not!).

I've had some very icy weather on the country roads by my house and it did OK, it would benefit greatly from winter tires, maybe even 15 or 16" wheels and non-runflat tires?

Not sure on the motion detection, but no security worries yet other than people being mean to it with shopping carts (I park in the back of the lot still lol)

Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 AM
FrannyB
2nd Gear
Hi Danny,

We are in the Denver/Arvada area and drive in the snow with Abby (what little we have had this year). No problems at all. We have a second set of rims with Blizzaks and they rock.

the comfort access is really great. you can start the car without the key in the slot. Not sure what happens if the key wonders off while the car is running It is a feature that would be top on my list.

I thought I read somewhere that the alarm has a motion detector, but I haven't tested it yet... The dealership should be able to tell you...

Franny

Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannylo77
Can anyone give an thorough input of the Comfort Access for the convertible? Also driving in the snow in Colorado weather? And lastly the alarm for the roadster: does it have motion detection in case someone cuts the top? Any major security concerns so far?
Thanks in advance!
Agree on winter driving (I have the Blizzaks; live in the Northeast US) and comfort key access. Both are great.

Yes, the alarm system does have motion detection. From the manual:

The alarm system, when activated, reacts if:
> A door, the engine compartment lid or the
tailgate is opened
> There is movement inside the car
> The car’s inclination changes, for example if
an attempt is made to jack it up and steal the
wheels or to raise it prior to towing it away
> There is an interruption in the power supply
from the battery

The alarm system briefly indicates unauthorized
entry or tampering by means of:
> An acoustic alarm
> Switching on the hazard warning flashers

[added via edit: and a special note about the Convertible & Roadster]
MINI Convertible, MINI Roadster
The passenger compartment is monitored up to
the height of the seat's surface. This way, the
anti-theft alarm system including the interior
motion sensor are armed, even if the convertible
top is open. Falling objects, e.g. tree leaves, may
trigger a false alarm, refer to Avoiding false
alarms.

Last edited by colea; 01-24-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Add clarification
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM
desertrover73
1st Gear
I can vouch for the motion alarm, I managed to set it off the first day I brought the car home (this past Tuesday). The top was down, car locked, I reached over the door to grab my phone, and the alarm went off. By the way, the alarm is seriously loud.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My alarm likes to show me that it's still there every now and again by going off when I open the boot with the comfort access. Doesn't happen all the time, but inside my garage with the door closed I can vouch for the volume levels!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
TheZlog
4th Gear
Major props to Mini for including a motion sensor, tilt sensor, and battery cutoff alarm... that some pretty solid stuff.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM
dannylo77
1st Gear
Originally Posted by spiney
My alarm likes to show me that it's still there every now and again by going off when I open the boot with the comfort access. Doesn't happen all the time, but inside my garage with the door closed I can vouch for the volume levels!
Spiny,
So you have to disarm the system first before opening the boot? is that the same with the front doors? sounds like it defeats the purpose of having Comfort Access no?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 AM
TheZlog
4th Gear
Spiney, I open the boot every day without disarming the car on my way home from work. I pop the lid with the button under the lip, throw my coat and briefcase in, and slam it shut before unlocking the car with the button on the door handle.

I do this *every* day, and I actually haven't heard the alarm except for the test of the motion sensor I did last night (holy crap does that thing have some dB or what?).

Anyways, I wonder if there is a sensor or something that is over-sensitive on your car?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
dannylo77
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheZlog
Spiney, I open the boot every day without disarming the car on my way home from work. I pop the lid with the button under the lip, throw my coat and briefcase in, and slam it shut before unlocking the car with the button on the door handle.

I do this *every* day, and I actually haven't heard the alarm except for the test of the motion sensor I did last night (holy crap does that thing have some dB or what?).

Anyways, I wonder if there is a sensor or something that is over-sensitive on your car?
my thoughts exactly, I thought it would be weird to have to disarm the system as it would defeat the purpose of having Comfort Access. I am close to my decision.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheZlog
That's exactly what I do, but 10% of the time the boot opens and the alarm goes off at the same time. I have to use the key fob to unlock and disarm. My only theory is that maybe it wasn't shut properly?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
dannylo77
1st Gear
Originally Posted by FrannyB
Hi Danny,

We are in the Denver/Arvada area and drive in the snow with Abby (what little we have had this year). No problems at all. We have a second set of rims with Blizzaks and they rock.

the comfort access is really great. you can start the car without the key in the slot. Not sure what happens if the key wonders off while the car is running It is a feature that would be top on my list.

I thought I read somewhere that the alarm has a motion detector, but I haven't tested it yet... The dealership should be able to tell you...

Franny
Thanks Franny! since this is going to be my only car I was really worried about snow driving. Any other advice for me?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
FrannyB
2nd Gear
Well, I have an update on the snow... We got about 4" or so on Monday night so that is the most this season. The Abbster was very planted and out pulled most SUVs I saw sliding around. She was great. A bit of a dirt ball though. OMG! What a mess! Lots of little nooks and crannies with that one. She will get a proper bath this weekend. Meanwhile it is lots of detail spray and many micro-fibers. I do try to keep all that chrome clean as it perma-spotted bad on our last Mini from the magchloride so now I'm a bit paranoid.

But she did great! ...now if those slow-poke 4WDs would get out of the way!

Franny

Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM
dannylo77
1st Gear
Thanks Franny! That is reassuring to hear for sure. Although we haven't gotten much snow this year it's hard to say, but I agree with you I should be ok as long as I get some decent snow tires.