R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Mini Roadster vs Miata

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Jonack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Roadster vs Miata

Did you research, drive, consider the Miata before purchasing the Mini Roadster? Just read a detailed comparison, and although the Mini was lauded, the Miata got first place.... A significant number of people were in agreement with the selection. I would be interested in your reasons for going with the Mini, and not the Miata. ( I would think the Mini would be more practical: front wheel drive / snow, more room, etc., game changers for me.) I think the Mini might be more expensive, in general ...

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM
dillo99
2nd Gear
For me...

More practical - more leg/head room, more trunk space, front wheel drive
Better looking - this is totally subjective but I just don't like the look of the Miata inside or out - it seems dated and feminine (I'm sure that would tick a lot of people off but like I said, it is just a subjective opinion).

I compared them but from the start I was much more "attracted" to the mini!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
A MINI and a Miata will cost the same when you equip the comparably, unless you went with the JCW. Miatas get great reviews. Car magazine writers love them, probably because they are RWD and because they have always been the best (only?) roadster around for under $25,000.00.

Problem with the Miata is that the cabin is very small and simply does not accommodate a larger driver or passenger, and by larger I mean 6' or taller. I'm 6' 2" / 225 and simply could not fit behind the wheel.

All that said, the Miata is a great car and has a cult-like following that is nearly as maniacle as MINI.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 AM
minineen
1st Gear
I owned a Miata while living in Japan and I have to say I definitely prefer my MINI Roadster...I call it my "luxury Miata". More creature comforts and overall more refined inside and out. Both fun as heck to drive but the MINI certainly feels more "grown up".

Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 AM
II Kings 9:20
3rd Gear
I looked at both as well as many other convertibles including the 2013 Boxster S. I chose the Roadster S because it was more fun to drive on the street, very tossable, gets great gas mileage (the Miata is embarrassing in that department especially given the weak engine), and the more modern interior creature comforts in the Roadster S. I did strongly consider waiting for the 2014 Miata which looks good and should address most if not all of my complaints with the existing Miata. If I was looking for a track car, I would have waited for the 2014 Miata.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:41 PM
nrc
2nd Gear
I drove a Miata for 15 years but gave it up for my Cooper S because I wanted something a bit more practical in the Winter. Now I'm ready to start shopping and I've decided that I'm getting what I want. If it's not practical for winter I'll use vacation days or take a bus on bad days. I'll be looking at a variety of sports and sporty cars including the Miata and Mini Roadster.

The Miata is a pure roadster. You really can't beat a lightweight RWD roadster for handling goodness. It may have fewer creature comforts but that's not a bad thing if what you're after is pure driving experience.

The S Roadster is a little quicker from a stop than the Miata which requires a fair amount of rowing the gearbox to keep things moving briskly. If you enjoy the experience it's not a chore since the Miata has one of the best gearboxes anywhere. If you'd rather have a bit more effortless power the Mini may be a better choice.

The "youification" factor is definitely lacking in the Miata as delivered. The Miata has three trim levels and two different tops (manual soft top and power hard top) and that's really about it. Add a pretty boring set of color choices and you'll have to be satisfied with the way it rolls off the dealer lot or mod it yourself. The Miata has a lot of after market support but the later models are not nearly as common as the earlier ones which does limit your options on the current model.

One consideration for me is that buying a Miata means buying from a Mazda dealer. The whole Mini buying and ownership experience has been a pleasure. We have a good Mini dealer and service department and I would miss going back to being treated like a common trog. Keeping track of shorter oil change intervals, paying for routine maintenance on a new car, and twisting someone's arm to get a loaner are not things that I look forward to.

Someone suggested that the Miata was more feminine than the Mini which is kind of laughable. Nobody is going to stamp your man card for either of these cars. The current Miata has a very unfortunate cartoon smile which doesn't help its case, but the '13 model appears to get a slightly more aggressive face.

Price really depends on your equipment preferences but any way I add it up the Roadster is more expensive. Add to that the fact that Mazda dealers are much more apt to make a deal and the Miata is substantially less expensive. It helps that the Miata has a nice, purposeful cockpit so you don't have to add $500 in options just to get something that doesn't look cheap.

Two good convertibles is a good problem to have. It may be a tough choice. I know it will be for me.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
dillo99
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nrc
Someone suggested that the Miata was more feminine than the Mini which is kind of laughable. Nobody is going to stamp your man card for either of these cars. The current Miata has a very unfortunate cartoon smile which doesn't help its case, but the '13 model appears to get a slightly more aggressive face.
okay...I need to defend myself since I was the one that made the feminine comment. Just to recap, I did say that was a very subjective personal opinion!

I do get your point about neither of them being super masculine and I have to admit that a woman told me how cute my roadster was the other day!

I think you are correct about the cartoon smile....I just don't like that look and thus the miata has never appealed to me in the way it looks. On the other hand, when I saw the mini roadster I was smitten.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't test drive the Mazda as others have said on here it was just too feminine looking for me. I did look at other roadsters. I test drove an Audi TT and thought the handling was too soft, the fit and finish did not match a BMW group product, and the final nail in the coffin was NO MANUAL gear box available. Even a top of the line sports car like a Porsche offers a proper gear box.

The only other car on my radar was a Boxster but I didn't want to part with the extra $$. I think you will find the R59 the best roadster for under $50K.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jonack
Did you research, drive, consider the Miata before purchasing the Mini Roadster? Just read a detailed comparison, and although the Mini was lauded, the Miata got first place.... A significant number of people were in agreement with the selection. I would be interested in your reasons for going with the Mini, and not the Miata. ( I would think the Mini would be more practical: front wheel drive / snow, more room, etc., game changers for me.) I think the Mini might be more expensive, in general ...
For those who haven't seen it, a comparison, between the MINI Roadster S and the MX-5 Miata Special Edition, is in WInding Road from this past June: http://goo.gl/xU25M

The following users liked this post:
Bikeboy2018 (05-29-2022)
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
I found the review fair and balanced. I knew before I started reading that the Miata would come in 1st. Car writers just love the Miata -- always have.

I was kind of surprised by the readers comments. And I thought MINI owners "drink the Koolade" but Miata people are just as extreme (and dare I say myopic?)

What nobody mentions is the Miata cabin is so small it will not accommodate a driver over 6' tall.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM
FrannyB
2nd Gear
Hmmm... I don't really get that review... The Mini was faster, pulls better, more solid in the turns, more usable (yes, the car has to be usable - otherwise it is just a toy), much better gas mileage, quieter with the top up, more creature comforts, more comfortable for taller folks... So, the Miata is better? I really wish Mini would ship the cars without those horrible run-flats. We had ours swapped out at the dealership before we even drove off the lot. We are running Michelin Pilots and the ride is really great. Sure you feel the worst of the bumps and holes, but it also doesn't roll and fluff around. Everyone seems to center on the ride, but no one looks at the tires and the reviewers use what they get.

I have to say I have never driven a Miata, but I have had a ride in one a few times and couldn't wait to get out. It feels extremely small and not very safe. I'm sure it is fine, but I don't like rubbing shoulders with the passenger. That was a few years ago and maybe the new ones are bigger inside.

Our other two cars are both two-seat convertibles - Porsche Boxster (987) and '58 356 Cab (which actually has a super small back seat-ish). Compared to those, the 356 had the fluffest ride and is great fun up to about 50mph. Completely mechanical and about 50hp, but 1800 lbs. The Boxster is as good as you have heard. In fact, if you have $35K to spend, a used Boxster can put you way ahead in this discussion, but, since we already have one, we got the Mini. The Mini is a real car, the Miata is just a toy. If you can't fit luggage, how good is it on a weekend trip? The Boxster has lots of luggage space both front and rear. Cars can be useful and fun.

Finally, the Mini is a European car - German designed/British built. My snobbery really shines through here, but, really... Which would you rather see in your garage? Because, if you go with the Miata, in the end, all you have is a Mazda...

Franny

Old 08-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FrannyB
Finally, the Mini is a European car - German designed/British built. My snobbery really shines through here, but, really... Which would you rather see in your garage? Because, if you go with the Miata, in the end, all you have is a Mazda...

Franny
Agree, I was on the Mazda site today checking out their cars and they are all quite boring, save for the MX-5 which I really should drive. The rest of the cars... plenty of grocery getting minivans and sedans if you are into that thing. Go to the MINI site and the first thing you get is why the roofs have helped them stand out on the track. You also get performance driving tips and a wide range of European sports cars. The best part, no boring minivans to clutter things up.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Retired Rev
What nobody mentions is the Miata cabin is so small it will not accommodate a driver over 6' tall.
From the review: "Sure, we weren’t crazy about the cramped cabin and miniscule trunk, but in the world of two-seat convertibles, these aren’t minuses; they’re pluses. Driving a car like this isn’t about how much stuff you can carry or how comfortable the cabin is. It’s about having fun."

I disagree with this approach. It would be one thing to not downgrade a car for its uncomfortable or impractical features. It is quite another to consider them "pluses".

Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Deli
From the review: "Sure, we weren’t crazy about the cramped cabin and miniscule trunk, but in the world of two-seat convertibles, these aren’t minuses; they’re pluses. Driving a car like this isn’t about how much stuff you can carry or how comfortable the cabin is. It’s about having fun."

I disagree with this approach. It would be one thing to not downgrade a car for its uncomfortable or impractical features. It is quite another to consider them "pluses".
Agreed, so a MX-5 would be the winner in a comparison against a Boxster? Like the MINI the Boxster is faster, has better fit and finish, and more storage space. So, they would probably still pick the MX-5 because it was more basic?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM
billnparts
Neutral
Check out the size difference.
Took this 2 weeks ago after taking delivery. How often do you see two blonds in black sport coupes at the same time?

Attached Thumbnails Mini Roadster vs Miata-img_1315.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Jonack
4th Gear
Great shot! The Mini does look more robust from the back!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Jonack
4th Gear
Yup, looked it up.... The Mini is shorter and wider than the Miata....

Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 AM
St_G
4th Gear
The next-gen Miata will have to awfully nice to be much competition for the Roadster, as far as my $$ is concerned.

Now the new Alfa currently being built off of the Miata platform...if that's out in time, I would have to look at it.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 AM
FrannyB
2nd Gear
Yeah, the concept new Alpha is pretty sexy. Not very Alpha-ey, but sexy. I wonder what it will run? I bet a bit more than the MX-5. With the Boxster moving up significantly in price, it will probably nestle in just below that - mid 40s?

All these new models to choose from!

Franny

Attached Thumbnails Mini Roadster vs Miata-alfa-romeo-spider-18-2-.jpg   Mini Roadster vs Miata-alfa-romeo-spider-21-2-.jpg  
Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 AM
St_G
4th Gear
Yeah, who knows how much of the concept stuff will carry over, but the idea of Alfa style on top of Mazda quality -- even with a price I'd expect to be a bit north of the Cooper S Roadster -- is compelling enough to make me pay attention.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonack
Great shot! The Mini does look more robust from the back!
The Miata look always reminds me of the original Lotus Elan (I'm sure that's NOT a coincidence):

From the rear quarter at least the Roadster has a *slight* look of the later "new" Elan:

Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hopefully they'll pull back on the reins a bit design-wise when/if the Alfa concept car moves into production -- like what happens in most cases. IMHO, the front end is just hideous. I like the side from the belt line down and the windscreen design is nice too, but that body work behind the roll bars just makes me LOL. And I'm guessing Sean White could complete his entire half-pipe routine down that massive, concave bonnet.

The final production version could be a nice surprise though. We'll see...

Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
St_G
4th Gear
I saw somebody (Motor Trend, maybe?) recently point out that the hood/wheelbase proportions are completely out of whack on that concept for fitting it to the Miata's underpinnings. My understanding is that the concept came before they got Mazda involved.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM
user 739030
Banned
I test drove a Miata before the Mini. I didn't really fit comfortably in the Miata. Tons of room in the Mini. The miata looks like it did when they first came out with it in the 80's. I even said that to a rep at the car show in NYC. He told me it's about the ride!! I told him it's 2012, a "little" update wouldn't hurt. I walked over to the Mini display and fell in love. As I walked over a guy was getting out of the roadster. He was about 6'5". I said, you fit in that car? He said comfortably!! I test drove the mini 2 days later and bought it. For me there was no comparison. I have people checking the car out every day. That would never happen in a Miata.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Jonack
4th Gear
Just checked an Alpha site.... projected to be available in 2015.... So, I guess I have the time to buy a Mini roadster....

Quick Reply: R59 Mini Roadster vs Miata