R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Just-a-Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 AM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just-a-Roadster?

Almost all the Roadsters I have seen here are Cooper S or JCW ones and I am wanting to hear from any folks that have a Just-a-Roadster. The only way I see myself being able to get one of these is if I go with the stripped down car, the only options being the JCW Aero kit and sports seats, I will make the car my own after I get it. I did drive the Cooper but it was an auto and I will be looking at the manual! Does anyone have any good things to say about the Cooper Roadster? I am looking at the 17" Challenge wheels as I LOVE them on my current R52, I know it will ride a bit more hard but it is worth the look.

Looking forward to hearing what anyone has to say.

Here is what I am thinking.

Attached Thumbnails Just-a-Roadster?-screen-shot-2012-04-18-at-5.58.54-pm.jpg  

Last edited by CoopersGuy; 04-18-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't driven a Cooper Roadster, but I have a few comments. My wife had a convertible new Beetle. Slow, not great handling, but once you put the roof down even I didn't care! Her new Clubman is a plain old low-spec Cooper automatic and I love it almost as much as my Roadster S (if it isn't sunny!)

If you want the wind-in-the hair and the Roadster looks for a few less dollars, I think you will be really happy with a manual Cooper, especially with the JCW body kit and the Challenge spokes, it will look awesome!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM
UNKORDT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spiney
I haven't driven a Cooper Roadster, but I have a few comments. My wife had a convertible new Beetle. Slow, not great handling, but once you put the roof down even I didn't care! Her new Clubman is a plain old low-spec Cooper automatic and I love it almost as much as my Roadster S (if it isn't sunny!)

If you want the wind-in-the hair and the Roadster looks for a few less dollars, I think you will be really happy with a manual Cooper, especially with the JCW body kit and the Challenge spokes, it will look awesome!
Agreed.. We had the same experience with the beetle as well. Regadless of power, you will still have the top down and MINI fun factor. MINI can still be fun at legal speeds :p.

For me the two must have were S power and body kit. It is my wifes car so really no modding and I wanted as much HP up front. (JCW was not even considered). In order to keep the price down with the S; JCW aero package was the only pkg I could justify. I was even prepared for cloth seats to keep the price down but the Mrs loved the toffee leather. I would be lying if I am not a little envious for the JCW car owner, but i wouldnt enjoy the experience if I was sweating the payment every month. Enjoy whatever you can justify and motor on. Each to their own..

Alan

Old 04-18-2012, 04:09 PM
CoopersGuy
2nd Gear
Thank you both for your insight, believe me, owning an R52 Cooper S I know that the Beetle is not a good comparison. I am not the most aggressive driver so I think that the Cooper could be a good choice for my driving style. It is still quick like a MINI and if I want to go fast there are other options in the garage to choose from.

Would love to hear more from Cooper Roadster drivers too!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CoopersGuy
Almost all the Roadsters I have seen here are Cooper S or JCW ones and I am wanting to hear from any folks that have a Just-a-Roadster. The only way I see myself being able to get one of these is if I go with the stripped down car, the only options being the JCW Aero kit and sports seats, I will make the car my own after I get it. I did drive the Cooper but it was an auto and I will be looking at the manual! Does anyone have any good things to say about the Cooper Roadster? I am looking at the 17" Challenge wheels as I LOVE them on my current R52, I know it will ride a bit more hard but it is worth the look.

I drove a justa cooper cabriolet for 6 years and loved it.
like you i was not able to justify the extra cost for the "s" at the time.
I also added the aero kit to add some extra style as well.
Have a feelin you will enjoy the justa Roadster just fine

Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am soon to be proud owner of justa-roadster it is purchased as a daily commuter for me 54 miles 1 way to work on average 6 day a week. was far more interested in mini connected than speed as traffic into nyc SUCKS! seemed much more fun than ford fiesta.
let you know how it goes peanut's is in vdc now.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM
CHILLS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CoopersGuy

Jacke cooper in OK has one just like what you built

Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Ok so received my justa. after the trip home from dealer today I'm actually excited to go to go into work tommorrow ! How's that for a review I complained all week that my boss ordered me in on my day off and changed my tour. can't wait to get peanut on open expressway! No traffic @ 5am Sunday morning. Ride home was like car was begging to be let loose

Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM
colea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noreen99
Ok so received my justa. after the trip home from dealer today I'm actually excited to go to go into work tommorrow ! How's that for a review
Great review! More details please

Old 05-21-2012, 03:03 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Spent the weekend driving the backroads of pocono mountains, had a blast, even my fiance (we tease him about driving like a grandma) started accelerating through the turns. In ten yrs I have never seen him go over seventy, he just keeps saying how much fun it is to drive.

Today was great, had to pick my son up from school. Had open highway and finally through breakin period, handeled great at 100+.

Justa is just fine for me!