R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Insulation under hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a random theory to all this crazy inconsistency.....perhaps if varies where we live?

For instance, if you live in an area that gets brutally hot during summer, you get insulation.....and vice versa????

Idk, just a theory

Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Here's a random theory to all this crazy inconsistency.....perhaps if varies where we live?

For instance, if you live in an area that gets brutally hot during summer, you get insulation.....and vice versa????

Idk, just a theory
Turns out there is only one person on the line who was told to install this so every third car on tuesdays and fridays gets it.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic

Idk, just a theory
Climate doesn't seem to matter for the insulation. I live in Canada, where it gets to -30C (stupid cold) in the winter, and not much more than +30C in the summer - and that's a really rare occurrence - and I've got the insulation on my February-built R58 S.

There simply is no rhyme or reason, it seems....

Old 05-04-2012, 05:52 PM
PatrickKB
1st Gear
I live in Ohio and we only seem to have a couple months a year that get really warm.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:39 AM
DavidB
2nd Gear
Since my car was built on a Friday and it has the turbo heat shield - I'm going with what TazMinianDevil is saying..

Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
UNKORDT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by johnf36
So has anyone asked there dealer yet?
I sent my MA the pics from this thread. Seems like people that should be "in the know" know very little. Direct quotes:

"As for the underhood protection, I’m trying to find out if we can get this done for you at BMW and what the cost would be. Being a BMW part/service would mean it falls under BMW warranty, which may not be applicable for a MINI."

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]"nothing like this is available on the Roadster. There is a heat insulation kit for the Cooper S, but not the Roadster. The BMW heat shields are form fitted for each specific BMW model hood, thus they aren’t any good for the MINI’s."[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]These are after I pointed out the pictures I sent are on a MINI Roadster. I really hope my dealership experience thus far is not what I am in for the next 6 years. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Alan[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 05-11-2012, 07:42 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I picked up my JCW Roadster two days ago, no hood insulation. Built-4/4/12
I will ask the dealer, see what we find out.

-Steven

Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 PM
ditc
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Argh! I dont know about the rest of you, but this inconsistency is troubling me.

We have three scenarios, seemingly across all build dates:

1). No insulation
2). Insulation
3). Insulation with heat shield

I'm guessing that number 3 is how it "should be" (at least for S's with the N18?)
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Still, we should get some clarity on what's up. Did someone forget the insulation at the factory? Did someone forget the heat shield?
Did someone forget both? It's worth investigating further.

Thoughts?

Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM
johnf36
4th Gear
One guess for the JCWs is no insulation would allow you to here the motor better.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ditc
Argh! I dont know about the rest of you, but this inconsistency is troubling me.

We have three scenarios, seemingly across all build dates:

1). No insulation
2). Insulation
3). Insulation with heat shield

I'm guessing that number 3 is how it "should be" (at least for S's with the N18?)
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Still, we should get some clarity on what's up. Did someone forget the insulation at the factory? Did someone forget the heat shield?
Did someone forget both? It's worth investigating further.

Thoughts?
So far, Liquid and b&WCM have JCW Roadsters with insulation, mine does not. The inconsistency is troubling to me. I can see the connection of the insulation with the N18(new design). I will do as some of the others and ask my dealer. This seems so unlike Mini/BMW to do it this way. Someone will have to hear some info. soon. Hmmm.

-Steven

Old 05-12-2012, 05:52 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
I did some checking on the JCW today with regards to my hood not having the insulation. On mine, the scoop has six sets of holes in the grill that covers the scoop opening. I'm assuming they are there to vent/flow air, if that is the case, why not use a grill that flows all the recesses in it. For those with the insulation, do you have the "open" grill? Thanks.

-Steven

Old 05-12-2012, 05:58 PM
PatrickKB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlueToy
I did some checking on the JCW today with regards to my hood not having the insulation. On mine, the scoop has six sets of holes in the grill that covers the scoop opening. I'm assuming they are there to vent/flow air, if that is the case, why not use a grill that flows all the recesses in it. For those with the insulation, do you have the "open" grill? Thanks.

-Steven
Yes I also have six sets of holes in the grill that are open.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:07 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PatrickKB
Yes I also have six sets of holes in the grill that are open.
Thanks Patrick. We need to hear from someone with the insulation to see if those cars have the "open" scoop grill set-up.

-Steven

Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 AM
PatrickKB
1st Gear
Thanks Patrick. We need to hear from someone with the insulation to see if those cars have the "open" scoop grill set-up.

-Steven
I do have the insulation I started the thread.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 AM
PatrickKB
1st Gear
Yesterday I installed a DOS CAI intake and I took it for a 45 mile ride with a lot back road that I could get the car up to higher speeds to see what type of difference that the CAI made. I was very impressed with it but the insulation impressed me also.

It was in the low 60's and the car was in the shade before I started the drive so the engine was cool to the touch. I drove the the car hard with the sport button on and would do many stops to try out the acceleration. When I was done the area of the hood where the insulation is was still cool to the touch it had no temperature change. The area on the far edges of the hood with no insulation especially around the lights was pretty warm, it wouldn't burn you but you defidently felt the heat.

The insulation must definitely keeps the hood and the scoop cool to the touch.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
I do have the insulation I started the thread.
Sorry, I should have looked back to check the facts. Ok, that answers that question.

-Steven

Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Yesterday I installed a DOS CAI intake and I took it for a 45 mile ride with a lot back road that I could get the car up to higher speeds to see what type of difference that the CAI made. I was very impressed with it but the insulation impressed me also.

It was in the low 60's and the car was in the shade before I started the drive so the engine was cool to the touch. I drove the the car hard with the sport button on and would do many stops to try out the acceleration. When I was done the area of the hood where the insulation is was still cool to the touch it had no temperature change. The area on the far edges of the hood with no insulation especially around the lights was pretty warm, it wouldn't burn you but you defidently felt the heat.

The insulation must definitely keeps the hood and the scoop cool to the touch.
Nice to hear about the DOS CAI, that will definitely be going on the Roadster.

Here is what I keep wondering, does the engine run any cooler without the insulation? I know the insulation is keeping the hood/paint cool, but is it trapping the hot air in the engine compartment? I still want a good solid answer from Mini If the insulation is the way to go, I'll be upgrading.

-Steven

Old 05-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Heat shield

For those of you that don't have the insulation, would this help?

http://waymotorworks.com/mini-cooper...5-r56-r57.html

-Clint

Old 05-13-2012, 02:10 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
For those of you that don't have the insulation, would this help?

http://waymotorworks.com/mini-cooper...5-r56-r57.html

-Clint
That looks like a good solution. Thanks Clint I still want to hear from Mini why they are building them both ways.

-Steven

Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
I am waiting to see what Mini says about the, some have it some do not, but either way I am going to put the insulation and heat shield on my hood. I live in Arizona, and my hood is very hot after normal driving and it isn't even in the summer heat season.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM
ditc
2nd Gear
That looks like a good solution. Thanks Clint I still want to hear from Mini why they are building them both ways.

-Steven
Actually it seems they are building them three different ways:
-without insulation, -with insulation, -with insulation and heat shield.

Like DesertDog, I want to see what Mini's response is and see we all arent getting the same thing.

My guess is that insulation with heat shield is how it's "supposed" to be. What do you think?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ditc
Actually it seems they are building them three different ways:
-without insulation, -with insulation, -with insulation and heat shield.

Like DesertDog, I want to see what Mini's response is and see we all arent getting the same thing.

My guess is that insulation with heat shield is how it's "supposed" to be. What do you think?
I think you are right. My R52(supercharged) had a full hood insulation. With the turbo engines(greater heat), it would seem like an even better idea. Are the parts in short supply and only installed when the parts are available? Maybe Mini will do some sort of recall and retrofit us when we are in for service.

-Steven

Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
Today I tried to order insulation with heat shield. My dealers answer is not available. He said the number on the insulation is for European Mini's only. He did write up a request and sent to Mini. I would think if enough people inquire about this, Mini would make them available.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DesertDog
Today I tried to order insulation with heat shield. My dealers answer is not available. He said the number on the insulation is for European Mini's only. He did write up a request and sent to Mini. I would think if enough people inquire about this, Mini would make them available.
Thanks, I will do the same with my dealer. Let us know if you hear anything more.

-Steven

Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Hi guys,

I sent the link to this thread to my MA today. This was his reply, "I got the link, and I forwarded it to the Regional MINI Manager, who happened to be here at the moment. He did not have an answer off the top of his head but he said he would look into it and get back to me, and then I will get back to you."

I'll post back when I hear something.

-Steven

Quick Reply: R58 Insulation under hood