R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Coupe ownership may be short lived

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 PM
tcassa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe ownership may be short lived

I must say I am not a happy coupe owner so far. Don't get me wrong, the car drives wonderfully. But my confidence in this car is on shaky footing currently. I picked up my Coupe on Thursday Nov. 4th. Absolutely thrilled to finally have it after 11 weeks of waiting. On the way home from work on Friday the 5th, the check engine light comes on. Hmmmmmm..... that can't be good. 70 miles of motoring and the engine light is coming on. Call my MA and he says "It happens sometimes. See if it is still on after the weekend." Off to work I go on Monday morning, light is still on. My MA says, drop it off at the shop tomorrow and we will look at the codes. So I drop it off Tuesday Nov 8th. However, they say that their diagnostic computers are down, have been for 2 days solid. Well why the Freak didn't you tell me that before I dropped my car off. Service says they will call me when the systems are back online and schedule another service time. Well, needless to say, no call from service until I call them on Monday. Schedule another time for Tuesday Nov 15th. They run their diags and say it was a faulty error from the Mass Air sensor, ran smoke test, found no problem, reset engine light. Guess what came back on coming home from work. You guessed it....CHECK ENGINE. My coupe has been to the shop (3x) more than it has been to the gas station (0x).

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas if I feel the need to just return the Coupe to the dealer and get my money back. I don't have any confidence in my brand new car. Haven't even had it for 2 weeks and it is heading back to the shop again tomorrow.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Shouldn't be too big of problem,(the icons go red or you will go into limp mode) they will find it.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Try and keep the faith and let them attempt to fix it.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Man or machine, neither is perfect.

Could jusr be a MAF with a defect. Hopefully a part available here in the USA.

Meantime, sounds like you also have some issues with this service department....Is there another one you can go to ?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
When new parts are put into service, if they are going to fail, they will right away. You most likely have a defective mass air flow sensor. It is not uncommon ot have parts fail immediately. Shame on them for not replacing it though. If the light came back on, the error is in memory. When they see its the same code, they will most likely replace the sensor, and the problem will be gone. Don't frown on the car, frown on the dealer.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the MA was not aware of the Service issues with their diag tools. In larger dealerships the MA probably wouldn't be aware of something like that. Hopefully it gets worked out quickly.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea sounds like something that is not that severe. I would not get too excited. Stuff happens. Give em a chance to fix it. As long as it's not in limp mode as someone stated it's not that serious of a thing.

Pat

Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 PM
tcassa
2nd Gear
Unfortunately it is the only mini dealership in the state. Nearest one would be mini of Vegas. I know it is under warranty and I know things break (been in computers for over 25 years.) Paid to much fo a car to have issues right out of the gate. I am already on first name bases with the shuttle driver, lol. I just don't like service technicians that half-*** a repair job. Too busy to be dropping off the coupe every other day. We will see how it goes after tomorrow.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 PM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Can't imagine your frustration! Hope it gets fixed and you get to enjoy your new car, worry free.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd get very proactive with the service department for them to replace the system that is showing the error code, not just reset the system and hope the code doesn't return.

While this is all happening, don't get too worried about the CEL. It's just a stupid light on the dash - put some tape over it and enjoy the car. It needs to be fixed, but don't obsess over it.

Good luck with "...returning my Coupe to the dealer and get my money back." Car dealers are not Costco and you're a long, long way from being able to get your money back. Just get them to fix the problem and likely you won't have any more for awhile. Do keep good records of every interaction with the dealer - if you get to the point of attempting a lemon-law process, good records are essential.

- Mark

Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 PM
johnf36
4th Gear
Did or have you asked to have a loaner and leave the car for a few days? I live half way across my state from my dealer and I have no trouble getting a loaner for long service issues. I also know that even the local customers get dealer loans for service problems under warranty. I would like to think this is a common practice among Mini Dealerships. Keep in mind it my not always be a Mini, but doing this does lower everyone's stress levels.

John

Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
I'm always amused by the responses to postings like this (which we see all too frequently). "Don't worry about that CHECK ENGINE LIGHT", "it's probably nothing serious", it's ok, they'll fix it", "it's not uncommon to have new parts fail immediately" (really?). The OP waited 11 weeks for his car and the day after he picked it up he's looking at the single most intimidating light on the dash and in 10 days of ownership his car has been in the shop three times. This is not normal. This isn't even normal for a MINI. He has every right to be frustrated and angry. I know I would be. One of the nice things about buying a new car as opposed to a used car is that you feel like you have at least a couple of years of worry free driving. He didn't even get one day. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new MCS in a couple of weeks, but the things I read here are making me afraid to pick it up! To the OP, bets of luck and I hope this gets worked out quickly.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chaswyck
I'm always amused by the responses to postings like this (which we see all too frequently). "Don't worry about that CHECK ENGINE LIGHT", "it's probably nothing serious", it's ok, they'll fix it", "it's not uncommon to have new parts fail immediately" (really?). The OP waited 11 weeks for his car and the day after he picked it up he's looking at the single most intimidating light on the dash and in 10 days of ownership his car has been in the shop three times. This is not normal. This isn't even normal for a MINI. He has every right to be frustrated and angry. I know I would be. One of the nice things about buying a new car as opposed to a used car is that you feel like you have at least a couple of years of worry free driving. He didn't even get one day. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new MCS in a couple of weeks, but the things I read here are making me afraid to pick it up! To the OP, bets of luck and I hope this gets worked out quickly.
Agreed... I find myself rolling eyes at a lot of the rose-colored-glasses comments about immediate issues people tend to have. Sorry, but when you drop $30k on a new car, it's not acceptable to have issues immediately, even if they are not catastrophic. You pay NEW car price partially for peace of mind, not having to worry about a used car with problems. When you get a brand new car with problems you are robbed of that benefit, and even if they are fixed under warranty, it is a headache, it's time consuming, and can be stressful as well. It certainly taints the experience.

To the OP, I hope they fix it right for you and it's the last issue for many, many miles. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:27 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
I'd be fairly livid. Sorry to hear about your situation. Hopefully they can fix it and correct it. Sucks how shoddy parts/build/service/customer service are souring your mood.

Hope to see you back on the road soon!

Keep fighting!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Agreed... I find myself rolling eyes at a lot of the rose-colored-glasses comments about immediate issues people tend to have. Sorry, but when you drop $30k on a new car, it's not acceptable to have issues immediately, even if they are not catastrophic. You pay NEW car price partially for peace of mind, not having to worry about a used car with problems. When you get a brand new car with problems you are robbed of that benefit, and even if they are fixed under warranty, it is a headache, it's time consuming, and can be stressful as well. It certainly taints the experience.

To the OP, I hope they fix it right for you and it's the last issue for many, many miles. Good luck!
Yea but everything in perspective right. I bought my house and paid 300 grand for it. I found a leak on the weather side of the house 4 months after the one year warranty was up, (don't get me started on that, 1 year bumper to bumper on a huge investment like that???) and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. It was coming in from the picture window in the family room, come to find out after ripping a large chunk of siding off the house that the whole back of the house did not have the wrapping under the siding and the water was getting through. I'm talking the whole side of the house. So I had to have the siding ripped off the house and the wrapping put on and then the house had to be resided and painted. It cost me about $2500 dollars. I took pictures and had a statement from the contractor that did the work. I contacted the builder who produced the paperwork where the city had signed off that that work had been done. They said **** up a rope we have the documents and the city signed off on it. Bull it was a robo signing. They didn't inspect crap and just signed off the doc. What am I going to do hire and attorney and fight the good battle. I would spend time, time and more time not to mention a small truckload of money to battle it.

At least with a car you have a decent chance to get it fixed properly and it has a far longer warranty than a much larger investment like a house or many other things for that matter.

Like I said it's all a matter of perspective. Sure you get frustrated and miffed but jeez give em a chance to make it right!!

Last edited by PatM; 11-17-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: correction
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM
AXO
5th Gear
That Suxs. I hope they get it resolved for Ya.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM
steste1122
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chaswyck
Originally Posted by dannyhavok

As a new Coupe owner, I agree that a new car should be free of defects and I would not be happy with a CEL in my own car. As a mechanic, I have to say it more than likely isnt a big deal. A CEL can come on for any one of a million different things. I had a car that the CEL would come on if you didnt tighten the gas cap 3 clicks. Also, you bought a car that has only been on the market a few months. Despite all the testing a car goes through, some still ship with bugs, some parts may be defective, or simple things like a loose connector. If its starting, and running fine and not doing anything it obviously isnt supposed to do (like smoking or dripping) then its probably a simple fix, and shame on your MA for not troubleshooting like he is supposed to. Make them give you some free stuff for you inconvenience and get a loaner.

And look on the bright side--at least its not engineered to fail. I work on military vehicles that have obvious design flaws built in by the manufacturer to ensure future sales of their proprietary components.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
I have owned a repair shop for 10 years and been in the repair industry for over 20. My own brother in law had is brand new 93 corvette towed in at 105 miles with a faulty fuel injector. These things happen. Is it ok, no. The key is that the car gets fixed and returned ASAP and the relationship improves. It is the dealers responsibility to make it right and salvage the relationship. This is where this story went wrong. The car should not have left unrepaired. There is no excuse for it.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ive's Mini
I have owned a repair shop for 10 years and been in the repair industry for over 20. My own brother in law had is brand new 93 corvette towed in at 105 miles with a faulty fuel injector. These things happen. Is it ok, no. The key is that the car gets fixed and returned ASAP and the relationship improves. It is the dealers responsibility to make it right and salvage the relationship. This is where this story went wrong. The car should not have left unrepaired. There is no excuse for it.
I'm actually thankful for you sharing this perspective. I've never had problems with new cars that I've bought in the past, so I've been a bit twitchy about hearing these stories as I freak out at the idea of getting stranded. But your reasoning makes so much sense -- sometimes things aren't perfect right out of the box, but someone ought to make them perfect ASAP or there will never be trust in the product or the maintenance team.

Can we staple this to the foreheads of everyone in the dealership?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
I think one issue is that most cars are not test driven other than the very short drives from lot to lot to boat, etc. I think most buyers want almost no mileage on their new car upon delivery. Also doing stress and road tests of all new cars must be very expensive for the manufacturer which is why I assume most don't do it.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
You are welcome. It is unfortunate that dealers are so blind, that they don't realize how their actions are affecting the consumers who have made one of the largest purchases of someone's life. Emotions are intense and it take a delicate response to maintain satisfaction. I hope you get past this and the rest of your experience with this car is nothing but happiness.

Originally Posted by gloomchen
I'm actually thankful for you sharing this perspective. I've never had problems with new cars that I've bought in the past, so I've been a bit twitchy about hearing these stories as I freak out at the idea of getting stranded. But your reasoning makes so much sense -- sometimes things aren't perfect right out of the box, but someone ought to make them perfect ASAP or there will never be trust in the product or the maintenance team.

Can we staple this to the foreheads of everyone in the dealership?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 PM
namsayin
1st Gear
Picked up my 2012 MCS in September. Drove it home 40 miles from the dealership and started it the next morning only to have the engine light go on and go into limp mode. Drove it to dealership with about 90 miles (about 40 miles each way) total on the car and thought the exact same way you did. I even asked about returning the car. They of course told me that wasn't an option. They kept the car for 2 days and found out it was an intake sensor and replaced it.

Fast forward to now, 1,050 miles on the car and I am taking it in to get a new water pump (squealing noise during idle, SA said schedule for water pump) and have the checkered pattern interior on the door trims that need to be replaced because they are rubbing off (started a thread on this topic last week).

All in all I am very unpleased with the quality of the Mini. Although the car is fun to drive, if I could I would return it and get my money back. Wish that was an option.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
Make sure you document each time you take the vehicle in for repair as a seperate visit. If the same issue is unresolved after four attempts you may have met the criteria to demand a buy back.. If nothing else the dealer has a big incentive to get it fixed.

Utah's "Lemon Law"
Consumers who buy or lease a new automobile or motor home with significant defects that can't be repaired, or in other words consumers who buy a "lemon," can obtain relief under the Utah New Motor Vehicle Warranties Act or "Lemon Law."
The Lemon Law applies to new cars under warranty and was extended in 1990 to also cover new leased vehicles and motor homes. The Lemon Law does NOT apply to used vehicles.

For your vehicle to qualify as a "lemon" under the Lemon Law, the following criteria must apply:
  • The vehicle must have been purchased in the state of Utah;
  • The vehicle must be new and under warranty;
  • The vehicle must weigh less than 12,000 pounds;
  • The defect must "substantially impair the use, market value or safety of the vehicle";
  • The vehicle must have been to the manufacturer to have the same defect resolved at least four times OR out of service to the consumer a total of 30 days DURING the first year or the warranty period, whichever is less (if your problems occur AFTER this time period, you do NOT qualify for the Utah Lemon Law);
  • The defect cannot be the result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized modifications of the vehicle; AND
  • The consumer must go through any informal dispute settlement or arbitration procedure the manufacturer may have established - such as the Better Business Bureau's AutoLine.
If your vehicle meets ALL of the criteria, your next step is to file a complaint with the Division of Consumer Protection. Include with your complaint COPIES of any relevant documents, including service records, and arbitration or dispute settlement records. After your vehicle is determined to be a "lemon", you may qualify for either a replacement or a cash refund. The manufacturer may charge you a "reasonable" amount for use of the vehicle as prescribed by law, usually 10 to 23 cents per mile. You can have the Division try to obtain restitution for you, or you can take private action with the help of your own attorney.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I've read a gazillion threads about Mini problems on this forum. And what it always boils down to is the way the dealership's service department handles the complaint/problem. It sounds like in this instance they had reason to believe that the code was thrown erroneously, and the part wasn't faulty. OK fine, that means that the code shouldn't appear again. 2 strikes and you're out IMO.. if it's the same code then they have to replace the part if they're to be considered credible. And they should have told the OP that the diagnostics were down those days. I've heard way worse service dept stories than this.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 AM
johnf36
4th Gear
You know it would be interesting to know if Mini dealerships where local clubs are involved have a better relationship with Owners vers those that don't?

Quick Reply: R58 Coupe ownership may be short lived