R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Pet Peeves

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 PM
glennaa11
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
or just turn the radio up

Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
artguy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
used velcro dots to fix mine

I had the same issue - saw the damn shelf bouncing around like crazy. So I went to walmart and bought a package of adhesive velcro dots. I put the fuzzy ones at the backside of the shelf - the black plastic bits that touch the other back cover - and tadahh! no more rattle.

You will still see it bouncing around but it won't make a sound.

I also had a strange ticking sound that would come and go - mainly going over bumps - it was right behind my head on the left and it turned out to be that plastic piece that sits inside the small glass window. I put another small velcro dot under the door trim in the center of the pastil piece and that's gone too! Easy fix and now the car is 100% quiet

unless of course I have the HK blasting!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Originally Posted by glennaa11
or just turn the radio up
That's why I ordered the ARD option on my car (stands for Anti-Rattle Device, also known as the HK sound system).

Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey artguy, I owe you one! Got the velcro dots at Walmart and the fix is complete. The rattle is no longer upsetting the peace inside my coupe. I expect that many coupe owners will run into the same problem so you've done us all a big favor. I plan to pass it on to the service department. Mini USA should also take note.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 AM
artguy
2nd Gear
Hey. I'm here to help! I did the same thing (passed along to service guys) as I'm sure there will be plenty of people noticing this once they turn down the radio and/or go over a bump! Glad to share!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:41 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any photos of where the padded dots should be stuck?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by artguy
I had the same issue - saw the damn shelf bouncing around like crazy. So I went to walmart and bought a package of adhesive velcro dots. I put the fuzzy ones at the backside of the shelf - the black plastic bits that touch the other back cover - and tadahh! no more rattle.

You will still see it bouncing around but it won't make a sound.

I also had a strange ticking sound that would come and go - mainly going over bumps - it was right behind my head on the left and it turned out to be that plastic piece that sits inside the small glass window. I put another small velcro dot under the door trim in the center of the pastil piece and that's gone too! Easy fix and now the car is 100% quiet

unless of course I have the HK blasting!
Interesting note about your noise behind the driver side headrest. I had the same issue behind the passenger side one.

I took it to the dealer and they actually found a retainer clip was missing! It is now fixed No more rattles!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
artguy
2nd Gear
wow! OK I'm going to net that for my first visit and have them take a peek. My tent velcro under the weatherstripping worked, but I want to be sure I have all my parts in order!

Speaking of which - I found a bonus wedged between the center console and drivers seat. I saw something shiny, and managed to extricate it with a cd case. Turns out it is a HELLA spark plug tester. Quite British, and engraved with a bunch of numbers. I would imagine it belonged to some MINI employee and it either fell out of his/her pocket, or was dropped. Kind of a neat souvenir of the production!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
The photo shows the right side of the boot. The dot stack on the outside is for the back cover. It's five dots thick. The other dot stacks support the front cover....the top two are 3 dots thick and the bottom one is 1 dot thick. You may be able to get away without front cover supports, but this is how I did it since with only the back cover supports there was still a slight rattle. Same set up on each side.

Attached Thumbnails Pet Peeves-pb082562.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by artguy
wow! OK I'm going to net that for my first visit and have them take a peek. My tent velcro under the weatherstripping worked, but I want to be sure I have all my parts in order!

Speaking of which - I found a bonus wedged between the center console and drivers seat. I saw something shiny, and managed to extricate it with a cd case. Turns out it is a HELLA spark plug tester. Quite British, and engraved with a bunch of numbers. I would imagine it belonged to some MINI employee and it either fell out of his/her pocket, or was dropped. Kind of a neat souvenir of the production!
Haha... Amazing!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 AM
snek
2nd Gear
Wind noises around the doors; rattles and squeaks
Chrome line interior reflecting in the side mirrors
Sports Button selection ("here is some old coffee but you can choose fresh brewed")
Backfire "feature"
Spoiler switch (was too much visibility out the back a problem?)
Two speedometers
One boot light
No engine temp gauge
Seat belt mount behind the seats and not on the B pillar
Strong but loud heater fan

Last edited by snek; 02-06-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: But wait, there is more
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 AM
jmatero
2nd Gear
As for the side visor and grab handle, the coupe roof is aluminum, thin, and there is ZERO space between the roof panel and the headliner so there's no where to bolt that stuff. And if there WAS, imagine the reports of bending roof panels from passengers grappng the handle.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Chor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I will miss the side visor most I think.

I thought the passenger side handle was more for helping people get out of the back seat.

My 2006 MINI doesn't have auto up windows.

Are you sure the car can't be programmed to automatically unlock when the key is removed? I really like that feature too...so are you saying you have to pull twice every time you want to get out of the car? That would really be a pain in the butt. I can't remember from my test drives...

You can program to auto lock, but there isn't anything programmed yet to unlock. It's got to be fairly easy and might just need a software upgrade.
I have mine configured to lock after 30 secs (incase I forget to hit the button as I leave) and also to lock when I drive off.