Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

NAM Pet Peeves

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:00 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAM Pet Peeves

we all love NAM. no question. but we all have pet peeves, too. let's use this thread to CONSTRUCTIVELY voice our pet peeves as they relate to NAM, posting and pretty much anything relating to NAM. i know i'm opening myself up to a lot of potential flames but my intention is to get all the things that we are all thinking out there so maybe we can make this site even better than it already is!

i'll go first and remember, be nice and no finger pointing.

my pet peeve is when people reply to posts that have photos and the photo is repeated in their post. yes, i have dsl and a fast computer but it's really annoying to see the same picture in a thread especially if it's a thread about photos like 'people behind their minis.'

ok, who's next?

Old 06-10-2005, 09:10 AM
LombardStreet
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STLMINI
my pet peeve is when people reply to posts that have photos and the photo is repeated in their post. yes, i have dsl and a fast computer but it's really annoying to see the same picture in a thread especially if it's a thread about photos like 'people behind their minis.'
I've always assumed the repeated photo is cached by my browser and doesn't actually load again. But, yeah, lots of times there doesn't seem to be any point.

ok, who's next?
On the subject of photos - really w--i--d--e photos that make me have to scroll left and right for the entire rest of the page! My laptop monitor is 1024 - sheesh, you'd think that would be wide enough!

Old 06-10-2005, 09:16 AM
YYC
4th Gear
My pet peeve,minor though it is,relates to punctuation,its relationship to readability,and its effect on my failing eyesight!

Lot15 (>5000 posts!) doesn't use a space after a comma!!! Aaaargh!

Old 06-10-2005, 09:21 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I wish there was a way we could index the older threads easier. In that if there are threads about a particular issue we could look in that section easier. Now you might say we have this, but we don't.

If I look under Electrical I have to search for an earlier thread. What if under electrical there was Air condition, lighting, etc.

For Performance and such we'd have Intake, Exhaust, and other things to allow for threads to be more directly organized. So less searching is done and more clicking into a section.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:24 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by YYC
My pet peeve,minor though it is,relates to punctation,its relationship to readability,and its effect on my failing eyesight!

Lot15 (>5000 posts!) doesn't use a space after a comma!!! Aaaargh!
heynofingerpointing
Your right, I should, and promise to henceforth

Old 06-10-2005, 09:32 AM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
heynofingerpointing
Your right, I should, and promise to henceforth
I assumed it was your own unique style, honed to perfection over 50 years, and I certainly don't expect you to change it...no spaces after commas gives a sort of stream of consciousness effect I kinda like...just can't read it!!

Old 06-10-2005, 09:45 AM
LombardStreet
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I wish there was a way we could index the older threads easier. In that if there are threads about a particular issue we could look in that section easier. Now you might say we have this, but we don't.

If I look under Electrical I have to search for an earlier thread. What if under electrical there was Air condition, lighting, etc.
Or a better search engine, eg, one that did Booleans, wildcards, etc. (GEE - I just realized, I haven't tried this. DOES the search engine do this?)

For instance "install rear (fog OR foglight) AND (05 OR 2005)"

Hmmm. This is "pet peeves" - maybe there should be a "NAM wishlist," too.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:48 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by YYC
I assumed it was your own unique style, honed to perfection over 50 years, and I certainly don't expect you to change it...no spaces after commas gives a sort of stream of consciousness effect I kinda like...just can't read it!!
The fact I never did any typing until I joined NAM has a lot to do with my "style"

Old 06-10-2005, 10:05 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
I despise large graphics in signatures

Old 06-10-2005, 10:07 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by planeguy
I despise large graphics in signatures
The guidelines call for 500 pixels by 100 pixels. If it's larger than that PM me and I'll take care of it.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:10 AM
rrattol
1st Gear
Dealer ratings

When the HECK is the Dealer Ratings section coming back?...been like 10 months, with about 1 promise per month that it will be back 'soon', it's just 'taking longer than expected to code'. Linus can code an entire new Linux kernal in less time than this is taking.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When someone quotes an entire post when only addressing a small portion of it, making their post longer than it has to be.

Also, all the threads that were in place before the switch to vBulletin got mangled in the upgrade with the resulting threads making people look like babbling idiots in many cases.

we all love NAM. no question. but we all have pet peeves, too. let's use this thread to CONSTRUCTIVELY voice our pet peeves as they relate to NAM, posting and pretty much anything relating to NAM. i know i'm opening myself up to a lot of potential flames but my intention is to get all the things that we are all thinking out there so maybe we can make this site even better than it already is!

i'll go first and remember, be nice and no finger pointing.

ok, who's next?

Old 06-10-2005, 10:26 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by Greatbear
When someone quotes an entire post when only addressing a small portion of it, making their post longer than it has to be.

Also, all the threads that were in place before the switch to vBulletin got mangled in the upgrade with the resulting threads making people look like babbling idiots in many cases.
Hey no finger pointing... I look like that naturally.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:14 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by sndwave
Hey no finger pointing... I look like that naturally.
I can't remember, is that you or me on the left

Old 06-15-2005, 10:31 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
When people put a long list of items for sale in the Marketplace and mark "SOLD" next to each item as it sells. I just love reading through the entire list only to find that the only thing left for sale is something like 3 lug bolts, one with slight damage. (Yes, I made that up for effect.)

If it's sold, how about just deleting it completely from the first post?

Old 07-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
My pet peeve is one I already started a thread on back in April. To access your local club forum, it takes too many clicks, instead of the 1-click access to the "main" forums. Having a cookie-based preference for your local club, to display a direct link on the main page, would be awesome. It also wouldn't hurt to have instant links to large event forums, prior to and immediately following. MOTD is the best example... even with a little dragon icon.

The only time I get instant access is when someone has very recently posted in the DCMM forum... which, since we're such an active club, is fairly often. :smile:

Here's the thread anyway: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=42032

I also have another suggestion, but it's not a pet peeve, so I'll start another thread for that one.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:02 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My pet peeve is that there are far too many 'fluff' topics instead of 'car people' topics. I wish there was an entirely separate forum to eliminate all the BS like 'which way does...' 'What color is...' 'Which would you like to..." you get the idea - so they don't even come up in searches or scans.

Or if the 'New Posts' feature would just NOT scan the OT sections, that would be great.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:07 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaelaria
Or if the 'New Posts' feature would just NOT scan the OT sections, that would be great.
kaelaria, I believe that if you use the Pulse, you can opt to filter out the Off Topic posts.

Clover

Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I don't like the pulse at all, but thanks.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Off topic is for those who want to be there. We welcome anyone but you have the choice if you want to join us:smile:

Lois

Old 07-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post deletions.

I think too many post have been deleted. You can see "echos" of them as they are referenced in other posts that are still present. Some of the heavier handed editorial action and the banishment of some of our rougher members shure has had some unintended consiquesnces as well. These guys were the ones who really pushed the envelope, with both technology and social interaction, and I feel we're a worse place because of it.

matt

Old 07-02-2005, 08:27 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Another pet peeve is the selective enforcement of rules. An example can be seen in this thread, actually.

Old 07-02-2005, 08:36 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
The only time I get instant access is when someone has very recently posted in the DCMM forum... which, since we're such an active club, is fairly often. :smile:
The fastest way to jump directly to forums is to go all the way to the buttom of just about any screen on NAM. On the bottom right is a drop down labeled "Forum Jump" just use the drop down to select the forum you want to go to.

I think this dropdown box was a little more prominent (or at least easier to find) when the site was on the old software with the old design... Maybe moving that dropdown to a new location would help...

Old 07-02-2005, 09:22 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rrattol
When the HECK is the Dealer Ratings section coming back?...been like 10 months, with about 1 promise per month that it will be back 'soon', it's just 'taking longer than expected to code'. Linus can code an entire new Linux kernal in less time than this is taking.
That may be true, but even if Mr Torvolds was still that involved with the development of Linux, he doesn't do it alone. When he developed the Linux kernal it wasn't like he was starting from scratch, it was based on OS's that existed at the time.

On the otherhand, all the design work, coding, business development and management for NAM is handled by just 1 person. At the same time that he are trying to handle of that stuff, he is also trying to raise a family and have a life.

The Moderation and Adminstration Teams help out with the management of the forums, but the rest of the site is handled by just one person.

NAM doesn't have a team of highly paid developers (or poorly paid ones either ) locked away in a basement somewhere toiling on the site. Since the module needed for the dealer feedback just doesn't exist and needs to be created from scratch, this has taken a significant amount of work.

Also as other issues have popped up on the site, those issues as part of already deployed pieces of the site have had to take precedence and needed to be resolved which has helped to delay the rollout of the dealer feedback area.

Trust me, if Mark could get the Dealer Feedback section rolled out already, it would have been done...

Old 07-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
The fastest way to jump directly to forums is to go all the way to the buttom of just about any screen on NAM. On the bottom right is a drop down labeled "Forum Jump" just use the drop down to select the forum you want to go to.

I think this dropdown box was a little more prominent (or at least easier to find) when the site was on the old software with the old design... Maybe moving that dropdown to a new location would help...
Thanks Mike... that helps, although it's still not the easy 1-click I was hoping for. And I agree, the dropdown box would be best suited near the top of the page, IMO.

Quick Reply: NAM Pet Peeves