North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r58-coup-talk-2012-379/)
-   -   R58 Pet Peeves (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r58-coup-talk-2012/219934-pet-peeves.html)

TheOfficeMaven 11-03-2011 01:39 PM

Pet Peeves

Hi All,

Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm absolutely LOVING my new Coupe. However, I just thought I'd list some of the minor issues about the car that bother me (mostly when comparing it to the other MINIs we've owned over the years):

1) No auto-unlock feature.

In all of our other MINIs, you could program them to automatically unlock the doors when the key was removed from the ignition. For some reason, the Coupe doesn't appear to have this feature. This one really bugs me! :mad:

2) No auto-up driver's-side (or passenger's-side) window.

3) No lighted vanity mirror in the sun visors.

4) No driver's-side sun visor above the side window.

5) No passenger's-side "oh-shoot" handle above the side window.

It seems really strange to me that the hardtop has all of those niceties and the Coupe doesn't. I've heard things like "it's because the Coupe is based on the convertible", but to me that's just a cop-out as there's no real reason as to why the Coupe shouldn't have these niceties when the hardtop does (especially seeing as the Coupe is $1,300 to $1,800 more expensive than the hardtop depending upon the model). :no:

v2Bob 11-03-2011 01:57 PM

Yeah, the convertible excuse seems a bit lame for those features.

Both the side visor and "oh-shoot" handle might be cases of trying to maximize head room under the lowered roof.

TheBigNewt 11-03-2011 04:15 PM

Yeah that's pretty limp, to get rid of the side flap and handle. I lights in the vanity mirrors I can do without. When you say the doors don't unlock automatically, can you make it so they don't lock at all (mine don't) unless you toggle the lock switch? I've got Comfort Access so I don't use the key. I don't have auto up windows either.

paulsminis 11-03-2011 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven (Post 3390883)

In all of our other MINIs, you could program them to automatically unlock the doors when the key was removed from the ignition. For some reason, the Coupe doesn't appear to have this feature. This one really bugs me! :mad:

Neither my present 2007 R56 MCS nor our 2009 Clubman S have this feature -- we have only seen it on our 2003 and 2006 MCS that we had previously.

Paul

jamesday24 11-03-2011 07:50 PM

I've either never had those features in my R50 or can easily do without them.

I don't have my Coupe yet, but my biggest complaint is the price of the leather seats for the Coupe being the same as for the all the other models except you only get TWO of them! I just couldn't justify it and will live with leatherette. That and the Sport Suspension should be standard on the JCW, if not the full JCW Suspension.

I worry that I'll miss the sunroof that my two MINIs (and FIAT 500) have/had.

PezRadar 11-03-2011 08:07 PM

Its always weird how that is..

Like the initial R56's didn't have some of the features like auto up windows ..

And then you have the first set of R60's that don't have the side visor fold down I believe.. (i may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read this). They added them in the 2012 models though..

It always baffles me how they leave a few things in some of the early adopter models :P

Oh and the R56 early models had different door chimes then the ones shipped just later that year!!!!!

My biggest pet peeve is the ugly new auto dimming mirror with the stupid clear looking knob on the bottom of the mirror. It is ugly :(

PatM 11-03-2011 08:41 PM

Isn't the sensor for the auto headlights in the knob on the bottom of the mirror?

glennaa11 11-04-2011 04:19 AM

I will miss the side visor most I think.

I thought the passenger side handle was more for helping people get out of the back seat.

My 2006 MINI doesn't have auto up windows.

Are you sure the car can't be programmed to automatically unlock when the key is removed? I really like that feature too...so are you saying you have to pull twice every time you want to get out of the car? That would really be a pain in the butt. I can't remember from my test drives...

yetti96 11-04-2011 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 3391248)
I will miss the side visor most I think.

How tall are you? I couldn't even look and see out of the car when I looked sideways while sitting in a coupe. I never use it on my R56.

TheGeekGuy 11-04-2011 07:34 AM

The single touch up on the windows is the one that baffles me... Oh, well.

yetti96 11-04-2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy (Post 3391333)
The single touch up on the windows is the one that baffles me... Oh, well.

Has anyone tried the "reprogram" sequence where you press and hold the button to the top and bottom and wait a few seconds before releasing?

TheGeekGuy 11-04-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by yetti96 (Post 3391369)
Has anyone tried the "reprogram" sequence where you press and hold the button to the top and bottom and wait a few seconds before releasing?

Not me, but I'll give it try and let you know what happens.

TheOfficeMaven 11-04-2011 09:00 AM

Here's another one I just noticed...

AFAIK, the daytime running lights should only turn on the main headlamps (usually the high beams run at reduced power) but not the dash, parking, or tail lamps. However, on our Coupe, when I have the daytime running lights feature engaged (via the OBC as per the owner's manual), all of the lights on the car come on as soon as you turn on the ignition. We do not have the auto-headlamps feature, and it doesn't matter what position the headlamps on/off switch is in (e.g. on, off, or parking lamps).

This seems like a bug to me. Can anyone else confirm?

Number Six 11-04-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven (Post 3390883)
Hi All,

Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm absolutely LOVING my new Coupe. However, I just thought I'd list some of the minor issues about the car that bother me (mostly when comparing it to the other MINIs we've owned over the years):

2) No auto-up driver's-side (or passenger's-side) window.

3) No lighted vanity mirror in the sun visors.

4) No driver's-side sun visor above the side window.

5) No passenger's-side "oh-shoot" handle above the side window.

It seems really strange to me that the hardtop has all of those niceties and the Coupe doesn't. I've heard things like "it's because the Coupe is based on the convertible", but to me that's just a cop-out as there's no real reason as to why the Coupe shouldn't have these niceties when the hardtop does (especially seeing as the Coupe is $1,300 to $1,800 more expensive than the hardtop depending upon the model). :no:

I could be wrong, but some of these things could be software/programming errors.

I say this because when I got my 2012 Justa, the windows didn't work with a single touch.

Then about 2 weeks into ownership, the windows started behaving a little erratically, next thing I know, the one-touch up and down was working and has been ever since.

:sly:

glennaa11 11-04-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by yetti96 (Post 3391260)
How tall are you? I couldn't even look and see out of the car when I looked sideways while sitting in a coupe. I never use it on my R56.

About 5' 6". I use the one in my Cooper a lot.

johnf36 11-06-2011 08:07 PM

I could be wrong but I believe the reason for no auto up is a safety issue with children getting body parts crushed, it may be there but I believe the manufacture has to offer it with out it because of safety regs.

PezRadar 11-06-2011 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by johnf36 (Post 3392755)
I could be wrong but I believe the reason for no auto up is a safety issue with children getting body parts crushed, it may be there but I believe the manufacture has to offer it with out it because of safety regs.

Yet... my loaner 2012 R56 has both windows with auto up..

So your post doesn't make sense. They didn't put it in for the Coupe because it is based off the 'Convertible' which doesnt use auto up. And since the Roadster uses the same frame as the Coupe they just chose to keep it off.

johnf36 11-06-2011 10:32 PM

Almost all European cars with auto window come with windows up in the programing, in the US because of the Lawyers they do not normally enable it because of the window pinch cases. Ford is has a patent on there no pinch system. I believe for a system to pass the windows when encountering a load are suppose to kick out on a fuse link to prevent damage to people. A lot of R53's do not have windows up, thus how Ian Culls plug in has sold so well. But if you get into the computer with after market programing you can turn this feature on in the R53's. All I can say about the reference to the car being based off of the R57 is yes there are some related technologies that have been applied to the coupe but I point out those are mostly structural. Most of the Minis share the same body module computer and programing along with other computers including the ECU with the exception of the on set with the new n18 engine which is a little different.

I would be willing to bet that if a person can find after market software that can get into the cars computer you will find that the windows up option might most likely be there it is just not activated. Mainl;y because of our US government and the court system.

PezRadar 11-07-2011 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by johnf36 (Post 3392800)
Almost all European cars with auto window come with windows up in the programing, in the US because of the Lawyers they do not normally enable it because of the window pinch cases. Ford is has a patent on there no pinch system. I believe for a system to pass the windows when encountering a load are suppose to kick out on a fuse link to prevent damage to people. A lot of R53's do not have windows up, thus how Ian Culls plug in has sold so well. But if you get into the computer with after market programing you can turn this feature on in the R53's. All I can say about the reference to the car being based off of the R57 is yes there are some related technologies that have been applied to the coupe but I point out those are mostly structural. Most of the Minis share the same body module computer and programing along with other computers including the ECU with the exception of the on set with the new n18 engine which is a little different.

I would be willing to bet that if a person can find after market software that can get into the cars computer you will find that the windows up option might most likely be there it is just not activated. Mainl;y because of our US government and the court system.

There are already mods for R56's back in 2007 that did not have the Auto-Up feature that allowed you to change the fuse to allow it I believe. So it isn't difficult to find.. or won't be I bet. I think it works for the convertibles too..

yetti96 11-07-2011 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 3391403)
About 5' 6". I use the one in my Cooper a lot.

Ahh, I am 6'6" and never needed the visors, just a light-n-sight to see the redlights.

JustinGTP 11-07-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by johnf36 (Post 3392800)

A+. When I order my coupe hopefully early next year, I will be programming auto up windows. I highly doubt it's not in there.

And to the guy talking about adding a fuse, no. We are not talking about a hack job to the wiring.

steste1122 11-07-2011 09:45 AM

You can change your door lock settings. Mine does not lock when i put it in gear, so no double pulling of the handle.

BillTheCat 11-07-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven (Post 3391386)
Here's another one I just noticed...

AFAIK, the daytime running lights should only turn on the main headlamps (usually the high beams run at reduced power) but not the dash, parking, or tail lamps. However, on our Coupe, when I have the daytime running lights feature engaged (via the OBC as per the owner's manual), all of the lights on the car come on as soon as you turn on the ignition. We do not have the auto-headlamps feature, and it doesn't matter what position the headlamps on/off switch is in (e.g. on, off, or parking lamps).

This seems like a bug to me. Can anyone else confirm?

I do not have auto headlights. I do run DRL's. It appears that the taillights DO come on with my DRL's, which is mildly bothersome. But the dash lights appear to be tied to the light switch on the stalk- no change in dash lighting with DRL's on.

Herby74 11-07-2011 12:23 PM

I have begun hearing a rattling noise inside the rear of my coupe. I think it's coming from the boot cover that is attached to the boot lid. It overlaps the other lid on the outer edge and touches plastic when the boot closes. I can actually see the boot lid vibrating quite a bit when I go over bumps. The dealer says there is nothing to be done. I'm pretty sensitive to noises and will probably have to learn to ignore it. Still, I'm wondering if anyone else has observed the same phenomenon. :eek:

v2Bob 11-07-2011 01:30 PM

I'd suggest driving without the cover to be sure that is the source. Then maybe use some of that self adhesive felt that you can get at hardware stores to fill the gap and dampen the vibration.