R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Backseat passengers with big feet??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 PM
miss_chiff
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backseat passengers with big feet??

Hi all, I'm hoping u can help me out...
It's finally come where I am able to get a MCS convertible. We put if off as having, as a car seat just didn't work for us space wise. My 8 yr old son has maxed out his recaro at 80lbs, and now rides with the seatbelt only. So, it's been 5 yrs of envy.
We went in, all sat in it, and thought we'd be fine in it, until...I read a post about someone switching from the convertible, to a clubman, for more feet room/leg space for their 10 yr old son. My brain wasn't processing that my son has been in the 98th%, and his dad has size 13 feet. I'm 5'7, and my husband is just under 6 ft.
Does the backseat work for the land of big feet people? Or, is it just too plain uncomfortable?
I would be switching from my Mercedes 300, while it's been an incredible car, my heart is elsewhere.
And yes, I want the open air...not a hardtop.

I've been a longtime lurker/researcher.

Would love to hear ur input, however honest. I will have this car for awhile, and need to know if it will lead to interior 'space' problems for us 3.
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son is 19yo, 6'1" and has size 12 feet. He rode in the back of my MCS pretty regularly and never complained about feet room. I've never compared it to a cabrio, though.
Annette

Old 03-13-2011, 03:54 PM
miss_chiff
1st Gear
Hey Annette,
Thanks for the reply. Many of ur posts have been helpful. I see u live down the road from me

Last edited by miss_chiff; 03-13-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:53 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Glad to help. Can't wait to see what you end up with, Just to clarify, whenever he rides in the back, he'd ride behind me and my daughter(14yo) rides behind my husband. Of course he's in college now so this is not a regular occurrence anymore. We also have a Nissan Titan Crew cab (GIGANTIC truck) and whenever the 4 of us would go somewhere together(a more and more rare event, it happens quickly) we'd ask the kids, "Which car?" and they'd always say "El Kabong", unless it was a long trip. But to dinner or the movies, which is 95% of our family outings it was always El Kabong. My husband got a Countryman last week, I guess he wanted his car to be picked first sometimes, too .
Annette
P.S. Put your location in your profile in the user CP and then people find it easier to give you recommendations when you need them. You don't have to put your exact locale if you don't want, but a generic is fine, like North Georgia or whatever. I just put my actual city since I'm a trusting fool on the internet .

Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 PM
miss_chiff
1st Gear
We went to the dealer together recently. I'm the one driving my car, and it worked best with our son behind me, surprisingly.
I just wonder how a 6hr long road trip would be in the back for him later on.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:37 AM
CaptainSteve
2nd Gear
I have 2 sons that ride with me pretty regularly. My oldest son is 14 and has size 13 feet The first time he rode in the back he did complain about not being able to fit his feet on the floor. I think it was due to pushing the seat back before he set his feet down on the floor.

Since then he hasn't complained at all about his feet not fitting and he regularly ride in the back, the 2 boys switch off on who gets front and back.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miss_chiff
We went to the dealer together recently. I'm the one driving my car, and it worked best with our son behind me, surprisingly.
I just wonder how a 6hr long road trip would be in the back for him later on.
The other thing I've done in the past is rent a minivan when going to the beach. One place we go to is about 5-6 hour drive, the other is 8-9 hours. I rented a van one year because I was going to have to bring back 2 extra kids and that would NOT work in the MINI. I decided I liked not putting those extra miles on the MINI and have rented a cheapo minivan ever since, unless I'm going totally by myself in which case I want my sound system and ipod to keep me company. I think it ended up costing around $250 for the week + rental, but since I only do it once, maybe twice a year it was worth it. Plus I like not getting my MINI near all that sand and sea air.
Annette

Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
3 kids here, my older boy (middle one) is size 12 feet. I have 13 myself. Prior to purchasing, I made sure I could ride back there if need be. And sure enough, I fit - all 6'4", 240lbs of me. Would I want to do that for any length of time? Nope, but if that extreme fits, then anything else is easy peasy.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
My son is 6'6" and rides behind my wife. Size 13 shoe. We make sure that we raise the seat so his feet can slide under it. We obviously have to to move the seat forward too. He fits fine though.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Size 15 foot 6'2" self is fine in the back, but my limit is about two hours in a Coupe, the Clubman I could go all day it's not so much the foot room but the leg room and head room that plays into the discomfort, with people 5'6" or shorter in the front. In the Clubman more leg room means I can slouch a little and get the extra inch or two I need for head room. And the passenger side door configuration makes it a little more graceful to climb out.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 PM
miss_chiff
1st Gear
My...what big feet u all have
Would be fun to find out just how many 'big feet motoring MINI folk' there actually are.
Thank you for the replies/tips. Its super helpful, and optimistic.
I'm also finding it as entertaining as the 'how tall are u?' thread.