R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Power Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Folding Mirrors

So there's no mention of this in the manual, nor on NAM that I could locate, so I assume it's not a feature, but I thought I'd ask.

Do you know if the Power Folder Mirrors can be set to automatically fold in after the vehicle has been turned off, and fold out when you start the vehicle?

I can do it manually each time, but having it automated would be great.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 AM
NotPortlyNJ
2nd Gear
That would be a great feature. Help prevent some w****r from smacking into your mirrors in the parking lot. Let me know if you find this.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM
zanary
4th Gear
It would be nice if Mini were to make that feature available along with the ability to auto unlock when the engine turns off... maybe in a future software release. But alas, I doubt they will, so we're going to have to do both manually.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wonder if that's a setting defined in the NAV enabled cars?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 PM
peppercoopers
Neutral
It is not available at all.Unfortunately you would have to do it manually

Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried to activate the auto-unlock through the OBC? I have heard that it can be done that way.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Partsman
Have you tried to activate the auto-unlock through the OBC? I have heard that it can be done that way.
I've searched for an auto unlock, and I can't locate any setting either in the computer or the SETUP menu option in the NAV. I remember reading either the 08 or 09 hardtop manual, and they make reference to it, however in the 09 convertible manual, that reference is missing.Guess they eliminated that feature. Too bad

Old 04-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by zanary
I've searched for an auto unlock, and I can't locate any setting either in the computer or the SETUP menu option in the NAV. I remember reading either the 08 or 09 hardtop manual, and they make reference to it, however in the 09 convertible manual, that reference is missing.Guess they eliminated that feature. Too bad
I'll see if I can get one of my techs to mess around with an '09 'vert tomorrow.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM
zanary
4th Gear
I'll see if I can get one of my techs to mess around with an '09 'vert tomorrow.
Thanks Partsman. That would be awesome if he can find how do to this or activate this feature again.

Here is hoping for the best.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:11 AM
msjulie33
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by peppercoopers
It is not available at all.Unfortunately you would have to do it manually
I test drove a blue S convert over the weekend (thanks Mini Of Peabody!) and it had power folding mirrors..

Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 AM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by msjulie33
I test drove a blue S convert over the weekend (thanks Mini Of Peabody!) and it had power folding mirrors..

You're correct. Power folding mirrors as are heated power folding mirrors are an option. I have both, but the issue is that you still have to rotate the switch in order to have them fold in. So each time you park, you have to rotate the switch in order to fold them in, and when you start your Mini, you have to rotate the switch to fold them out.

What I was hoping was an option in the computer or NAV setup that would allow you to select "Auto Foldout when starting" and "Auto foldin when shutting off the engine". I've seen this on other vehicles (I think it was the Lincoln Navigator and one of the Range Rover models), and since everything appears to be controlled by the one computer in the Mini, I was hoping Mini could have included this menu option in the setup screens.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Ok...I went with one of the MA's out to one of our demo 'verts, and he cycled through the options in the OBC...there is no auto-unlock option available. He said that he remembers reading something as to why it's not available... once he finds it, i'll pass it along.

One other thing...no auto fold/unfold option either.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:10 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Ok...I went with one of the MA's out to one of our demo 'verts, and he cycled through the options in the OBC...there is no auto-unlock option available. He said that he remembers reading something as to why it's not available... once he finds it, i'll pass it along.

One other thing...no auto fold/unfold option either.
I think Mini may have removed both. Thanks for checking. Any idea how we could ask Mini if they could consider putting those options back into the next software revision for the 09 Convertible?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 AM
zanary
4th Gear
I sent an email to Ask Mini (who knows if it will get anywhere, but I highly doubt it), to ask them if Mini would consider adding the following features to the next software rev

(1) Feature to automatically fold in mirrors and fold out mirrors when you power off and power on the car.

(2) Feature to automatically auto unlock the doors like they have the feature to auto lock the doors.

(3) Feature to allow us to save the HD1 or HD2 channels in the presets for those who have purchased the HD Radio option.

(4) To increase the number of presets to a larger number like 30 or more so accomodate the large number of HD Radio stations. With each analog station able to handle two HD station, that means the number of potential radio stations increase almost 3 fold in a best case scenario. In the SF Bay Area Alone, I've found over 15 to 25 station (if you include AM) that offer HD1 and HD2 stations. Impressive, in my opinion.

I highly doubt I'll receive a response, and even if I do, it's possibly going to be one of those "Sorry sir. Once Mini releases a product, we only make changes to the software for safety or defect purposes, and not to introduce new features or features that owners may consider missing or not implemented. We do recommend you look at future Mini products that may have those features you're looking for." canned messages. I've received those types of emails from Toshiba for their LCD TVs that have received a few firmware updates throughout the past year.

Last edited by zanary; 04-28-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 PM
zanary
4th Gear
So, I got a quick reply back from Mini USA. Here is what they had to say:

We are constantly looking for new and creative ideas from our motorers to improve upon and make the MINI brand even better! Thank you for sharing your ideas and comments with us. :-)

If there are further comments I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I am happy to lend a hand.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
gonepostal
1st Gear
another thing...On our Acura, if I put the car in reverse the mirror will rotate down so you can see the curb as you backing in to the parking space.. Can't find that with the mini mirror..

Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gonepostal
another thing...On our Acura, if I put the car in reverse the mirror will rotate down so you can see the curb as you backing in to the parking space.. Can't find that with the mini mirror..
The Mercedes' I've had did that and my wife's old 2002 5-series had that feature. No such luck on the MINI or the A4 we've got now... Great feature though

Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 PM
bonehead04
3rd Gear
Which packages include the folding mirrors?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
xkot
3rd Gear
couldn't you wire something like the auto up module to the mirrors?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 AM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bonehead04
Which packages include the folding mirrors?
Cold Weather Package, and the mirror are also heated and power folder as well.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:37 AM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by xkot
couldn't you wire something like the auto up module to the mirrors?
I guess so, but you'd have to connect it to multiple points, right? You have to know when the vehicle is turned off, turned on or in accessory mode, and next when any of those conditions occur, you'd need to tap into the circuit that would rotate the mirrors our or in. I have a feeling that it's a toggle switch, meaning it does the exact opposite than it's current setting. So if the mirrors are out, it would fold in and if they are folded in, it would fold out.

Who's brave enough to try this and document a DIY install?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
xkot
3rd Gear
they also have the auto dsc off module which could work too.... If only i had a new one with power mirrors...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:08 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
How about the Auto On Sport Button MOD. This could be a good start to the Auto Folding Mirrors.

ZANARY, I have several questions.

When you activate the Mirrors to "Fold In" do you have to hold the switch in place like a window until it folds all of the way in?

or

Do you flip the switch and the mirror folds in, then stops at the end of its travel?

This would be a great MOD for the folding mirrors.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
zanary
4th Gear
So to fold in or out the mirrors, you rotate the mirror adjustment **** either to all the way left or right. You don't have to hold it in place, just rotate it far enough so that it starts the operation and then let go and it keeps folding in or out the mirrors until it reached the end of the operation.

Now the interesting thing is that the switch is still operational even when the vehicle is turned off and left unlocked. I have never tried it locked, but unlocked I can usually just grab the **** without opening the drivers door (when topless and the windows down of course), and just fold in or out the mirrors. I don't even have to have my FOB on me to do this (ie. I have the Keyless Go Comfort Access which is included in the Convenience Package).

So this must mean that the switch is always powered... I'm going to test this when the car is locked and topless tonight.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM
spinned
4th Gear
My son was so excited to drive my new JCW with the power folding mirror option, he went over and using his hands, unfolded the mirror so we could get ready to leave. he is a big boy (grown up now) and it didn't take too much of his force to rotate the mirror. Sheeze.... I said 'YOU KNOW THOSE ARE POWER FOLDING MIRRORS...STOP!" (the car probably had all of about 50 miles on it) well it was too late he had done it... and since I was obviously freaked, he decided to manually put them back "STOP...STOP". Too late rotated the mirror back to the "in" position.

I went over and tried to get the power switch to hopefully get the mirrors to rotate and work again, and...

...it worked fine. I guess Mini must have built in a feature to be able to manually over-ride the bump stop in the mirrors similar to non powered mirrors.

Quick Reply: R57 Power Folding Mirrors