R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Don't slam the doors!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:01 AM
korby
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't slam the doors!

The first time my wife & two older sons got in and closed the door (separately) they slammed it shut so hard I thought the arm rest would come off in there hand! The door is heavy I guess they felt it would't close unless they gave it a hard tug. They all know not to slam now and to move the seat belt buckle that always ends up sideways between seat and door out of the way.Well... now I see theres an outie dent (for lack of a better term) strait up from back of the door handle and an inch down from the window , not huge but becouse its on the curve it shows.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Wife is notoriously bad about slamming car doors. I finally gave up and just open and close the door for her. But when she drives, I always make sure I am not in the car until she gets in and closes the door.

It makes me cringe every time. One day the window glass is going to shatter in the Lexus (her daily driver now).

She will never be allowed to drive my Mini just for the simple fact she cannot open and close a car door without abusing it. Oh and what she does to a trunk lid (boot door) is just evil.

But every woman I have ever known is like that. I have no idea why.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:53 AM
DaveCo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
She will never be allowed to drive my Mini just for the simple fact she cannot open and close a car door without abusing it. Oh and what she does to a trunk lid (boot door) is just evil.

so true! my wife has rattled my teeth with her door slams more times than i can count. she's a small person, but put a vehicle door in her hands and she becomes the Hulk!

p.s. glad to see that your MINIs SFP, Skuzzy!!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:03 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I just ask my wife "did all the parts land in the car or are some on the ground outside?". She got the point.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Thanks DaveCo!

4xAAA, I have tried all the sideways comments I can muster (and believe me, I can must a high number of them, from, "Was that thunder?" to "Did the door pass the test?" and it makes no difference. She apologizes, and the next time she has to close a car door, it is done with the force of hydraulic piston under 4,000 tons of pressure.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
My Wife is notoriously bad about slamming car doors. I finally gave up and just open and close the door for her. But when she drives, I always make sure I am not in the car until she gets in and closes the door.

It makes me cringe every time. One day the window glass is going to shatter in the Lexus (her daily driver now).

Not this woman! But then, you don't know me.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I tried to be careful and not lump all women into that category Rennie. I am sure there are women who know how to close a car door without slamming it. I am really very sure of it.

I just cannot fathom why I have never met any of them.

My Wife is an incredibly sweet, caring, and respectful person. But when it comes to closing a car door, she is evil incarnate.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
I tried to be careful and not lump all women into that category Rennie. I am sure there are women who know how to close a car door without slamming it. I am really very sure of it.

I just cannot fathom why I have never met any of them.

My Wife is an incredibly sweet, caring, and respectful person. But when it comes to closing a car door, she is evil incarnate.
Perhaps that is her way of taking out her frustrations? We all need an outlet, especially us wives.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Mrs. Peale
Neutral
I am a wife, and the MINI owner, and the car buyer, and the woman who has nicknamed her HUSBAND "TORQUE" because every time the nit-wit gets in my car he slams the door soooo hard my teeth rattle. I am suprised the door does not come off in his hand. I have informed him that if he does this again - he will not be allowed in my car - end of story!!! He also pumps the antilock brakes and shifts every 5 seconds so he can get to 5th gear even if he is going 5 miles an hour. I have tried to teach him how to drive - but he won't listen. So, he is not allowed in my car.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:04 AM
dxl007
2nd Gear
You think slamming a door on a mini is bad... I have an 05 Lotus Elise and the doors are fiberglass and aluminum (they weigh 7 LBS each). Any yet she still rocks the whole car with a door close (all 1950 LBS of it).

Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 AM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
The door slamming habit is certainly not a strictly female phenomenon. My wife's son, who is about 40, was helping my wife unload groceries from the MCS. When finished he slammed the hatch so hard it bounced open. So he, of course slammed it harder... and then harder yet. I dashed out of the house yelling STOP!! No attempt at oblique comments or diplomacy here. He said "there's something wrong with this door." AAAAARGH! But the car survived the ordeal. I checked to make sure he hadn't caved in the hatch - he was slamming that hard.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:09 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear
I don't see why people get so pissed about this. I always slam the door just to make sure it gets shut.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Putz
I don't see why people get so pissed about this. I always slam the door just to make sure it gets shut.
There's an idiot light on the dash that makes the door slam obsolete. :D
I'm always gentle with doors now, I can't stand when people feel the need to use excessive brute force to accomplish simple tasks and hate it even furthur when, rather than try and figure out why something's not easy, apply more force (such as with the interior door handles when the doors are locked). It comes in handy, one of our Humvees out here with 120lb up armored doors will aboslutely refuse to open from the inside if you slam the door. The only way to ensure you can exit the vehicle is to shut the door as if it where made of glass.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Putz
It's fine that you slam the door, as long as it's the door on YOUR car. Just stay away from mine.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:30 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
I just ask my wife "did all the parts land in the car or are some on the ground outside?". She got the point.
My dad used to say to us, "Slam that door a little harder and it'll land in your lap!"

Old 04-22-2007, 11:37 AM
davydo
3rd Gear
I have it even worse in the Elise. The doors are really "door-itos" they're very light fiberglass. Slam them and the rest of the pieces the boys from Hethel pop-riveted on all sing and vibrate like a baby rattle!

Old 04-22-2007, 02:50 PM
TC1
2nd Gear
That same things has happened to me several times, with different people too. Even when you remind them they don't nessairly remember for next time. I think the issue is that others see cars merely as objects to get from A to B. To them slamming a door doesn't matter. To me however, it matters a lot.

Slammed doors were even more scary when I added a few pounds of sound deadener.

But you know the trick? Open the door for your wife and shut it. A. you look like a really nice guy. And B. you shut your MINI just like you feel like it should.

Works for me!

Old 04-22-2007, 03:31 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
When I drop my daughter off at school, the safety patrols open car doors in the car loop and they always slam the door closed. It drives me nuts.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Oh boy this is my pet peeve (and Im even a woman ). My husband and step kids have each slammed the door of my new MINI once. After that I gave them a short demonstration of the amount of force needed to close the door. Its gotten the point across!

Old 04-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The R56 doors practically close themselves! Once you nudge the door past the detent, they will literally close shut by themselves. It's awesome!

I've had to scold a co-worker already that thought he had to SLAM the door shut. I cringe at "those kind of people" that have no respect for gradually approaching the mechanical requirements of other peoples vehicles.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:50 PM
CUTiger3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_Bee
When I drop my daughter off at school, the safety patrols open car doors in the car loop and they always slam the door closed. It drives me nuts.
Yep, happened to me one too. After that my daughter told them she would shut the door. Problem solved

Old 04-22-2007, 06:17 PM
STEWIE
3rd Gear
Thanks DaveCo!

it is done with the force of hydraulic piston under 4,000 tons of pressure.
ROTFLMAO!!! Next time my husband slams Stewie's door, Im gonna use that analogy!!! LOL!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:31 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I've had to scold a co-worker already that thought he had to SLAM the door shut. I cringe at "those kind of people" that have no respect for gradually approaching the mechanical requirements of other peoples vehicles.
No kidding, Ryephile! Unfortunately, people tend to think of anything automotive as a transportation appliance and devote as much care to their (and other people's) cars as to their microwaves. Every car guy or gal I know will ALWAYS carefully open and close doors and be generally mindful of how they treat my car because they expect me to reciprocate. On the other hand, my non-automotively-oriented friends, generally thoughtful and well-meaning people, will slam doors and trunk lids shut with all their might, hit doors against poles, curbs, and parked cars and just treat all cars as devices that provide a means to an end, not as ends in themselves. Phew, that was cathartic!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Marlow Main
6th Gear
Hey.... let's not class all women together. Some of can close doors without knocking them off the hinges (unless we are upset).

Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
AYUP, I had a coworker come to Luch with me and she slammed the door soooo, sooooo, soooo hard that it broke the lock/unlock mechanism. Now, peoplehave to roll down the window to open door then roll it up.

Quick Reply: R56 Don't slam the doors!