R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Tough Decision to make...need some assistance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:03 PM
BernR6
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough Decision to make...need some assistance.

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site and I'm new to the MINI, as I currently don't own one. I've been a Honda guy for many years, and I'm considering switching brands/cars/etc. and purchasing a MINI in the near future. My driving is basically day to day, point A to B stuff, but I'm definitely a performance nut having modified the hondas/acuras that I've had. I know there are some other threads on this, but I guess I'm trying to pick a car that 1. Has nice performance 2. Handles well 3. Has good reliability. Granted I'm coming from driving Hondas, although not the most performance oriented are known for their reliability. I guess what I want to know is, does the new R56 have too many bugs to be worked out that it's not worth getting until after a few years? I'm a fan of compact sporty cars and have narrowed my choices to two: The 2007 MINI S and the 2007 Civic Si. This is a MINI thread and all, but I just need some opinions on the reliability factor, and if it's worth risking coming from the Honda scene. Both cars seem to put out the same numbers performance-wise, however I believe with the MINI possibly being the better performer handling-wise. Both cars could be totally different animals for all I know. Money isn't a factor, only because both cars cost about the same, so I'm not going to be spending more adding a ton of options to it. That said, I'd appreciate any input I can get about this car and my current decision. As a side note, although not to sound hypocritical, I'm strongly considering leasing. I know I said that I like to modify my cars, but for the term of the lease I'm keeping it stock (getting married this summer and will have plenty of other bills to take car of). Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Have a 1990 Integra with ABS, no mods though. Just ordered a Mini Cooper S.

In making my decision I drove one of the last remain RSXs at the local dealer. Took it up into the twisty roads in the hills above Monterey. As far as fun-to-drive, the MCS beat the RSX by a considerable margin. The RSX was impressive with its handling and 8K rev. engine, but there was just something about the MINI that was much more fun. Also drove a VW (GTI something, I think) with paddle shifters. Threw it around some back roads between farms in Salinas. It handled well, but I felt like It was meant for people wearing suits. It was far too refined. My aging, under-powered, not-quite-a-sports-car Integra is actually more fun to drive.

As for reliability, I'm taking a chance. The Consumer Reports reliability on the MINI showed a steady improvement over the years, but this is a new model with an all-new engine. I suspect it is too early to tell just how well BMW did their homework on this one, but I haven't run accross any early signs of problems. Here's hoping all is good.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 AM
WinneMini
2nd Gear
Get the MINI---it will make you grin---all the time---for years. Your next big decision will be whether or not to have 2! They are better for mood enhancing than Prozac.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:21 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
MOST PEOPLE HERE WILL SAY:
"GET THE MINI"

Old 03-17-2007, 06:30 AM
jeffc
7th Gear
Have you driven a Mini yet?

Old 03-17-2007, 07:18 AM
msmith81
1st Gear
I'm in the same boat as well. I'm probably just going to end up going for it. I drive an old beater now, and I'm planning on keeping it instead of selling it and using the cash for the MINI, as I had originally planned. It sounds pretty snide, but just in case I have problems with the MINI, I'll have a back up vehicle. I could get a brand new toyota for half the price, but it wouldn't be a fun car like the MCS is. I'm still grinning from my test drive

Old 03-17-2007, 09:04 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BernR6
I guess what I want to know is, does the new R56 have too many bugs to be worked out that it's not worth getting until after a few years?
Simply put, NOBODY can answer that question.

The car has NO track record yet as to reliability.

If you want to read about reliability issues of the previous generation, just read the problem forums

For the R56, its just to early to know.

To get a feel for the R56, read the following but its still to early to really know ...

R56 dead, no fix after days
'07 R56 MC auto dead @ 4K miles in the UK
R56 problems

Old 03-17-2007, 09:17 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
I SECOND THAT COMMENT
it is totally new

Old 03-17-2007, 09:55 AM
srfrman7
3rd Gear
I'm in the same boat too. I have a 2002 RSX, but looking to switch to a Mini. It just seems really fun!

Old 03-17-2007, 01:50 PM
BernR6
Neutral
Thanks to all who replied about my dilemma here. To the guy who asked if I've test driven it yet...unfortunately I actually haven't. So that is my first order of business when going further in the decision making process. Obviously that could answer my question here. The closest MINI dealership to me is about 45 minutes or so. From the reviews I've read from people test driving them, everyone loved it. So, that said, I'll go and test drive it first. As far as reliability is concerned, I guess that's what the warranty is for. It seems like a car I could have a blast driving everyday.