R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil Change After Seafoam

Old 10-22-2018, 06:00 PM
EintrachtAdler
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change After Seafoam

Hey Guys,

My '08 R56S is new to me since the end of August. After having read up on some of the benefits of using seafoam and not being sure what the previous owner did in terms of carbon build up, I followed the typical procedure and poured the seafoam through the PCV and followed the steps and got a bit of smoke. It was not until after doing the procedure that I saw that some people say you need to change your oil after using seafoam. That would be fine, but I actually got the oil changed a few weeks before doing this, stupid me. So what do you guys think? Is changing the oil required when only putting the seafoam through the PCV?

Also, do the fluids for the manual transmission in these cars ever need to be changed/need to be regularly changed?

I appreciate the help!

Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 PM
a143gsxr
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The MTL is good for the manual transmission. Takes 2 quarts. And if you did seafoam in the intake track I don’t think an oil change is necessary. If you pour seafoam in with the oil and treat that way then you change oil around 200 miles if I remember correctly.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:32 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Seafoam is meant to remove carbon deposits in your engine. Once removed, that carbon ends up mixed up with oil in your sump. Easy way to tell is simply to look at your dipstick. If your oil was recently changed, it should be relatively clear. If Seafoam did it's job, your oil will be black. If black, I would recommend an oil change because recirculating that compromised oil is no bueno.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:57 AM
a143gsxr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
Seafoam is meant to remove carbon deposits in your engine. Once removed, that carbon ends up mixed up with oil in your sump. Easy way to tell is simply to look at your dipstick. If your oil was recently changed, it should be relatively clear. If Seafoam did it's job, your oil will be black. If black, I would recommend an oil change because recirculating that compromised oil is no bueno.
Seafoam via the intake track to clean carbon loosens carbon in the intake track. All that is loosened follows the intake track into the cylinders and out the exhaust. That's why you produce all the smoke during the process and you should run the car for a good bit during and after to clear it all out. The only way you would get product in the oil is by the valve seals and piston rings. An alternate benefit of seafoam is to pour it directly in the valve cover with the oil and run the car for approximately 200 miles and then change the oil. You may be thinking of that process.

Stephen

Old 10-23-2018, 10:34 AM
EintrachtAdler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by a143gsxr
The MTL is good for the manual transmission. Takes 2 quarts. And if you did seafoam in the intake track I don’t think an oil change is necessary. If you pour seafoam in with the oil and treat that way then you change oil around 200 miles if I remember correctly.
The MTL? And my question is, does the fluid need to even be replaced? How would I even go about checking its level and quality? Thanks!

Old 10-23-2018, 10:39 AM
EintrachtAdler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
Originally Posted by a143gsxr
Seafoam via the intake track to clean carbon loosens carbon in the intake track. All that is loosened follows the intake track into the cylinders and out the exhaust. That's why you produce all the smoke during the process and you should run the car for a good bit during and after to clear it all out. The only way you would get product in the oil is by the valve seals and piston rings. An alternate benefit of seafoam is to pour it directly in the valve cover with the oil and run the car for approximately 200 miles and then change the oil. You may be thinking of that process.

Stephen
Ok. I'll have to check my oil then. It has to be one of the dumbest dipsticks. I did not even do the seafoam job particularly well. It was not until after, that I realized you need to have someone hold the engine at 2000RPMs and pour it in slowly. I guess if the oi does look dirty, then I could do the procedure again, right this time, and then swap out the oil. You guys think I could leave the oil filter in, since that was just replaced?

And if the oil still looks relatively clean, then I'm good to keep running with the oil that is still in there?

I really appreciate all the help guys. I just know these cars can be a nightmare sometimes, so I am just trying to keep on top of babying it.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM
a143gsxr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EintrachtAdler
The MTL? And my question is, does the fluid need to even be replaced? How would I even go about checking its level and quality? Thanks!
Redline MTL 75w80 gear oil. Transmission takes 2 quarts. You have to service and check the level from the transmission, under the car. there is no dipstick, only fill and drain plugs. unless there is a leak it does not need to be checked. Look at youtube for manual transmission fluid change. Most manual transmissions are the same for drain and refill. I typically change the fluid at 50k intervals.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:48 PM
EintrachtAdler
1st Gear
So the oil does look a bit dark, so I'll go and swap that out. What do you guys think though? Since this oil filter only has 1000 miles max on it, could I leave that in there, or would the deposits from the seafoam be in there too, so that should be swapped out as well?

Old 10-25-2018, 06:32 AM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
It is called oil filter, after you did the treatment that oil circulate in that filter and all the carbon smug gets trapped in your filter.
answer is yes you have to replace it.