R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 5 quarts in, X quarts out?!?!?!????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:43 AM
obgmugen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 quarts in, X quarts out?!?!?!????

2010 MCS manual. Had timing chain replaced 4 thousand miles ago. Oil was changed on the same day. Changed my oil 2 days ago. Lubro Moly 5 liter ( about 5.2 quarts ) 5w30. Old oil went into the 5 liter jug for disposal. Absolutely SHOCKED when i saw that there was about 2.5 quarts ( less i think ) that came out. Is that normal for a mini? Had a 2002 MCS and i dont think i ever changed my oil with no less than 4 quarts in the sump coming out.

Unless.......the dingbats at the garage FORGOT to change the oil altogether when i had the chain replaced?

Also - wanting to change my tranny fluid. Googled what type of fluid my mini takes and the Mini 75w90 fluid came up along with Redline, motul, etc. Is that the correct weight that i should be putting into the tranny?

Thanks in advance!!! Cheers

-OG

Old 11-15-2017, 12:33 PM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
The N14 motors drink oil because of the crank case system was poorly designed, if I'm correct. I check mine every time I get gas, which is like every 250-300 miles.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:56 PM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
4000 miles without checking your oil? be glad you had that much.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:25 PM
seandallen
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by gjxj
4000 miles without checking your oil? be glad you had that much.
+1. You should check your oil at every other or every third fillup. Many may disagree with me, but I believe the #1 preventative maintenance thing to do with the N14 engine is to CHECK YOUR OIL. If you want to check it every 4000 miles, be my guest. But I doubt you'll have to worry about your transmission.

If you're not interested in paying for the MINI branded fluid, Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid meets the spec.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:31 PM
obgmugen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by seandallen
+1. You should check your oil at every other or every third fillup. Many may disagree with me, but I believe the #1 preventative maintenance thing to do with the N14 engine is to CHECK YOUR OIL. If you want to check it every 4000 miles, be my guest. But I doubt you'll have to worry about your transmission.

i dont think i said anything about checking the oil at the 4k mark. checked it every 500 miles....but from the very start, the dipstick was flakey at best. The R53 stick was better i think. Also, i never had this kind of consumption with my 2002 mcs as i indicated in my original post. i knew there was a known issue with the timing chain and/or tensioner....but never thought oil consumption would be such an issue. Good grief. Time for a lawsuit.

If you're not interested in paying for the MINI branded fluid, Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid meets the spec.

I never touch anything "castrol". I have had great results with Amsoil and Lubro Moly. Just need to know which fluid in their lineup will work for the MCS2. Their websites should be able to tell me. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-16-2017, 05:13 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
if you have LSD on your transmission the weight is 75W80.

check this vendor for info:

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/Mini/...bcatID=1209422

Old 11-16-2017, 05:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Check your oil and make sure you dont have a bad valve cover, the internal PCV built in is known to stick open and consume oil. Post #23

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lve-cover.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-16-2017, 05:47 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The type of oil you use means nothing as far as how fast your engine will burn thru it. You have an N14, you should be checking your oil every time you fill your gas tank.
I used this MTF (bought 3 qts, filled till it came out the fill hole. Used like 2.2 qts):
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...90/?code=MTGQT

Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Qik420
The type of oil you use means nothing as far as how fast your engine will burn thru it. You have an N14, you should be checking your oil every time you fill your gas tank.
I used this MTF (bought 3 qts, filled till it came out the fill hole. Used like 2.2 qts):

*somewhat true.

From my experience testing variety of oils, I can attest to one fact: They are NOT all created equally!

Pennzoil Platinum has been my choice oil due to availability and price where i live; BUUUUTTT it DOES burn faster in my JCW and WRX vs. Mobil1 of the same type. Both oils for example are same rating, and 5w-30 full synthetic.. in ~1500mi of hard driving, I will have consumed/burned ~1qt of the Pennzoil vs. ~.5qt of the Mobile1.

*since im a stickler for always checking my fluids, i go with the cheaper price oil and top off regularly between changes every 5k mi.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 AM
obgmugen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Qik420
aaahhh....exact same one i was eyeing at napa. Kinda strange that the local napa carries amsoil......when i lived in socal, i had to go to the local distributor to get it. Not stocked in any car parts store.

cheers

Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM
obgmugen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
*somewhat true.

From my experience testing variety of oils, I can attest to one fact: They are NOT all created equally!

Pennzoil Platinum has been my choice oil due to availability and price where i live; BUUUUTTT it DOES burn faster in my JCW and WRX vs. Mobil1 of the same type. Both oils for example are same rating, and 5w-30 full synthetic.. in ~1500mi of hard driving, I will have consumed/burned ~1qt of the Pennzoil vs. ~.5qt of the Mobile1.

*since im a stickler for always checking my fluids, i go with the cheaper price oil and top off regularly between changes every 5k mi.

which leads me to this conclusion: i'm a loyalist when it comes to oil. for me and my 2002 mcs back in the day, it was ALWAYS either liqui moly or Amsoil. BUT...the N14 being the ***** that it is.....i guess it would be best to step down to one of the local synthetics since i would almost have to buy DOUBLE the amount of a regular oil change in order to top off what the engine burns through. My 1st oil change with liqui moly though. Will be checking this dipstick like its a winning lotto ticket and get a tally. Checked it today after going through a tank and a half of gas. Level didnt budge.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
*somewhat true.

From my experience testing variety of oils, I can attest to one fact: They are NOT all created equally!Pennzoil Platinum has been my choice oil due to availability and price where i live; BUUUUTTT it DOES burn faster in my JCW and WRX vs. Mobil1 of the same type. Both oils for example are same rating, and 5w-30 full synthetic.. in ~1500mi of hard driving, I will have consumed/burned ~1qt of the Pennzoil vs. ~.5qt of the Mobile1.*since im a stickler for always checking my fluids, i go with the cheaper price oil and top off regularly between changes every 5k mi.
I've only used Castrol and Amsoil in my MINI, and I will say Castrol did seem to burn off faster, but I think the amount or rate is negligible, I top off every other time I fill up the gas tank and add as needed. I'm an Amsoil user since I paid for the membership deal and am very happy with it, they now offer a Boosted line for forced induction engines. We'll see if the burn rate is any higher compared to the Euro formula. I change every 5k as well. Clean oil=happier engine/timing chain.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Originally Posted by obgmugen
aaahhh....exact same one i was eyeing at napa. Kinda strange that the local napa carries amsoil......when i lived in socal, i had to go to the local distributor to get it. Not stocked in any car parts store.

cheers

The shifts are nice and smooth since changing over to Amsoil.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:32 PM
LiL Stinker
2nd Gear
I’ve used Mobil 1 5/30 since I bought my R55 new in 4/2010. I’m now at 104k miles. I have 600 more miles before next oil change and I’ve gone through 4 qts of oil. So check your oil every fill up! And I change my oil every 5k.