R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Manual Transmission Oil

Old 01-18-2016, 06:23 PM
minibeer
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manual Transmission Oil

I've been doing alot of reading about how much everyone likes Redline MT oil. I found Eneos and have not been able to find nearly as many reviews as I have found about Redline. The info I did find leads me to believe that it's one of the best on the market but I would like to hear if anyone is using it in their stock Mini manual transmissions. Price is not an issue, I want the very best MT oil I can get but I'd also like to hear your opinions on runners up. I live in Florida now so cold weather is not an issue but may relocate to the Seattle area where it gets cold but not super cold.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:35 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I am running Redline MTL, and it seems to work great in the summer months. Winter? Seems to take a bit to warm up. I am just careful with my shifts below 50 degrees or so, until the trans warms up some. I have also recently installed the NM short-shifter and box, so my effort may be increased by that some. It feels "chunky", but no grinding or bad feel once warmed up. The short-shifter was recently installed, so taking it easy for now. Once the weather has turned a bit warmer here in the SoCal mountains, I will have more of an idea. In Florida, I would say that you would have no issues, especially if you have a stock shifter. Just my opinion.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I've heard mixed things about Eneos gear oil, but I have a friend that runs Eneos oil and stays away from the gear oil. I used to run Red Line gear oil, but have since changed due to being sponsored by another company. Best thing I can suggest is if you give Red Line a call as their application guide says they don't have anything compatible for your Clubman.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-19-2016, 10:44 AM
4ringcircus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the topic of MTFs, I've become a true believer in this stuff over the years...

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-197/LUBE...uid+Supplement

I've personally experienced this product smoothing the shifts of even the 'notchiest' MTs. Even if you don't have any shifting issues, it will help provide much needed relief to the high stress areas between gears/discs. Plus, it's relatively inexpensive....at least cheaper than some of the exotic MTFs out there.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:06 PM
enoe01
2nd Gear
Minibeer, I live in Naples and run redline. I have run it in other vehicles without issue and will continue to run it in my Mini. I might even take a look at the lubegard supplement above this post. Cant hurt right?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:14 PM
DantheSaint
Neutral
Mtf?

So is Redline 75w80 the goto for Manual trans?

The Redline website says they don't make a trans fluid for my 2012 Mini Roadster...

What's everyone else using?

Old 04-01-2016, 05:16 PM
jonw9
2nd Gear
I am interested as well, as I will probably do the nm short shift and figured I would change the fluid when I am underneath.

I was planning on using the royal purple stuff, but would be interested in the redline.

I am in Michigan and experience the "notchy" shifting frequently and would love to smooth thinks out. It sounds like redline may not be the cure.

http://www.detroittuned.com/royal-pu...mission-fluid/

Old 04-02-2016, 01:01 PM
BlackMagicMini
2nd Gear
I changed my fluid at 40,000 miles and put in Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75w80 synthetic GL5 for limited slip, approved for BMW 83 22 0 403 247 which is on the red trans label. The car did shift noticeably better with fresh oil - silky smooth. The oil I drained out was brown and the new oil pale yellow and clear. It now has almost 60,000 miles and is doing well as far as I can tell. FYI, I confirm the trans does take 1.9 liters. My car is an '09 MCS with the Getrag trans and limited slip.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:42 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Why not just get the OEM MT gear oil from the dealer. That way you know it's approved.

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (07-26-2021)
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 AM
jonw9
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
Why not just get the OEM MT gear oil from the dealer. That way you know it's approved.
Likely for the same reason many folks don't keep using oem tires on their car. The availability of better and/or cheaper alternatives.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:49 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
Likely for the same reason many folks don't keep using oem tires on their car. The availability of better and/or cheaper alternatives.
Actually the "Star" branded ContiPro Contacts ( not available after market only at dealers ) are a leading seller among MINI owners...And not the same tires you find on the internet. Check side wall for the Star.

And with respect to transmission fluid. After a clutch job, an inde shop used Amsoil replacement fluid in lieu of MTF-LT3 that is supposed to be used in my MCS. Shifted hard as **** and notchy until it warmed up. Turned out after my scrutiny and research, the Amsoil used was only a replacement fluid for a MINI transmission requiring MTF-94...whole different viscosity.

So now when it comes to guessing or hoping a manufacturer is correct about if their product can be an OEM replacement, especially with respect to a $5K dollar MINI transmission in a car probably not even worth twice that.....I leave it to the test pilots.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:36 PM
DantheSaint
Neutral
Thanks for all the replies...

Next question: which fluid does my 2012 Roadster S with a 6 speed manual require?

I know, check the manual, but I don't have one. And the online owner's manual doesn't even address this.

Does someone have a link to the maintenance manual?

Thanks
-Dan

Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi, DantheSaint! Here is a comprehensive guide to transmission fluid:

http://new.minimania.com/MINI_Cooper...mission_Fluids

Old 04-06-2016, 07:58 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DantheSaint
Thanks for all the replies...

Next question: which fluid does my 2012 Roadster S with a 6 speed manual require?

I know, check the manual, but I don't have one. And the online owner's manual doesn't even address this.

Does someone have a link to the maintenance manual?

Thanks
-Dan
The fluid your Roadster requires is HERE. Let me know if you have any questions.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-06-2016, 09:40 AM
DantheSaint
Neutral
^^Thanks!

I like recommendations but documentation is the best.

:bow:

Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2012-2015 R59 COOPER ROADSTER GS6-55BG 6-SPEED (GETRAG G255)
BMW MTF LT-4 (SAE 75W-90) 1.8 QT
http://new.minimania.com/part/NMG730...d-Life-1-Liter

Old 07-26-2021, 08:57 PM
930 Engineering
2nd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
which fluid does my 2012 Roadster S with a 6 speed manual require?
I like recommendations but documentation is the best.
While BMW did spec MTF-94 for R56 MCS equipped with the quite rare LSD option, ALL other R55 - R59 are specced for BMW MTF LT-4, regardless it's a Justa, MCS, JCW or GP. Thaid said, even those few MCS with the LSD benefit from using MTF LT-4, as well as R50 and R53. Wear protection is better, shift quality is better. MTF LT-4 is a high-quality synthetic 75W-90 API GL-4. Btw, NEVER ever use GL-5 gear oil in a Mini transmission, it will cause poor shifting and even ruin your synchros. The old outdated MTF-94 is hard to obtain anyway. Some recommend thinner 75W-80 MTF. While shifting will be as excellent as with MTF LT-4 (or even better when cold), wear protection is significantly lower due to the lower viscosity. So just get BMW MTF LT-4 and change it every 30 or 40k.

Last edited by 930 Engineering; 07-26-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:25 PM
alka1ine
1st Gear
OS Giken seems to prefer only one oil type for the LSD installed in the mini, and it's not for transaxle(fwd) applications, so they suggest only 4, 2 of which are 140 weight for trans that require it, 2 are 75w90 weight. I'm not saying people with factory LSD option will do any real damage to the diff by running other stuff, but I just went with the Motul 300 that they list, especially after seeing that's also what Detroit Tuned shows for R56 LSD trans.

There allegedly hasn't been a case of an osgiken LSD failure documented, but not sure where I read that or how reliable. Still may not have optimal engagement with wrong fluid though. And a fluid that engages LSD properly could still harm brass bits in the trans too, but most like Redline gl4's are probably fine where that's concerned.

My 2007 MCS has a Feb 2007 build date with factory 2TA LSD and has the LT-4 sticker on the trans(so wasn't a thing they just put on everything in later years), so Mini either just used whatever cases they had and added LSD to them locally if they already left the factory, or they just didn't care and assumed lifetime fluid meant it didn't matter and thought dealers would check trans part number and/or vin for any refills. I assume maybe the rare(?) red MTF94 stickers were put on the trans that were fully built with an LSD on the factory floor....I dunno. All seems like they just didn't have proper workflow back then.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:47 PM
alka1ine
1st Gear
For reference:

So for the torque biasing LSD, they're specifying specifically a fluid WITHOUT the LSD additive(N/S). So I'd probably go with the Redline 75W90 N/S before trying MTL again, but unless you're really tough on your diff and trans, maybe it won't matter too much in the long run. I plan on beating the crap out of mine now that nearly everything has been refreshed to better than new condition though, so I'll be sticking with the recommended fluid and maybe experiment with adding some LSD additive if I don't want it to grip as much.

Per Redline's 75W90 NS description:
  • Contains extreme pressure additives like our 75W90 GL-5 oil, but lacks friction modifiers to balance slipperiness
  • Improved copper corrosion protection to prolong synchro life
  • Helps with lock-up on weak limited-slip differentials-compatible with Red Line Limited Slip Friction Modifier for tuning slippage
  • Also used with clutch-type LSDs in racing for maximum lock up
  • Recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E and SAE J2360
  • Non corrosive formula, safe for use with all synchro materials
So factory LSD should work best with these oils imo and if you want less intense lockup, start adding LS additive maybe?

Old 08-20-2021, 07:10 AM
930 Engineering
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by alka1ine
Per Redline's 75W90 NS description:
  • Recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E and SAE J2360
The factory BMW MTF LT-4 is a API GL-3/GL-4 75W-90 gear oil intended for manual transmissions using synchronizers.
API GL-5 is for hypoid gears which these transmissions don't have. GL-6 is similar, but didn't ever get official status. Both
are commonly specced for RWD diff applications and just +rarely in a FWD transaxle.
MT-1 is intended for huge truck manual transmissions WITHOUT synchronizers. Not sure on MIL-L-2105E and SAE J2360
but it doesn't matter anyway.

In other words: This oil is not appropriate for manual transmissions using synchronizers in a FWD applications like the Mini.

Stay away from this as well as stay away from thinner fluids like 75W-80 (RL MTL) when factory fill is 75W-90. Contrary to
popular believe both aren't even similar viscosity when cold. Anything above freezing a 75W-80 is just half the thickness
of 75W-90, given both are GL-4. Most GL-5 tend to be at the thicker end of the permitted range. I'm surprised that Pelican
still recommends using thinner than factory gear oils for Mini applications. If OE BMW MTF LT-4 is too much money for you,
look for a 75W-90 GL4 gear oils at least, just like Redline MT90 or Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle, both are 75W-90 GL-4.
That said, it doesn't help using something different even when the manufacturer of an aftermarket LSD does recommend
something different. While your LSD may work perfectly you'll suffer from poor shifting and ruin your synchronizers, causing
wear metals thus contaminating the oil and these leading to even more wear everywhere in your transmission. On a manual
transmission you can't disregard the synchronizers!

Old 08-22-2021, 06:50 PM
alka1ine
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 930 Engineering
The factory BMW MTF LT-4 is a API GL-3/GL-4 75W-90 gear oil intended for manual transmissions using synchronizers.
API GL-5 is for hypoid gears which these transmissions don't have. GL-6 is similar, but didn't ever get official status. Both
are commonly specced for RWD diff applications and just +rarely in a FWD transaxle.
MT-1 is intended for huge truck manual transmissions WITHOUT synchronizers. Not sure on MIL-L-2105E and SAE J2360
but it doesn't matter anyway.

In other words: This oil is not appropriate for manual transmissions using synchronizers in a FWD applications like the Mini.

Stay away from this as well as stay away from thinner fluids like 75W-80 (RL MTL) when factory fill is 75W-90. Contrary to
popular believe both aren't even similar viscosity when cold. Anything above freezing a 75W-80 is just half the thickness
of 75W-90, given both are GL-4. Most GL-5 tend to be at the thicker end of the permitted range. I'm surprised that Pelican
still recommends using thinner than factory gear oils for Mini applications. If OE BMW MTF LT-4 is too much money for you,
look for a 75W-90 GL4 gear oils at least, just like Redline MT90 or Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle, both are 75W-90 GL-4.
That said, it doesn't help using something different even when the manufacturer of an aftermarket LSD does recommend
something different. While your LSD may work perfectly you'll suffer from poor shifting and ruin your synchronizers, causing
wear metals thus contaminating the oil and these leading to even more wear everywhere in your transmission. On a manual
transmission you can't disregard the synchronizers!

This is why the oil questions are always so nuanced. Generally a GL5 or 6 is just rated for higher extreme pressure environments, usually hypoid gear applications. But there are some transaxles calling for GL5 that aren't hypoid either.

With Redline(and some other aftermarket brands), it's a known fact that one of their fluids can cover a wide range of specs. In particular, they say specifically this 75w90ns is for transaxles. They also say "Meets GL5 requirements" so is a GL5 oil with extra extreme pressure additive bad for a GL4 trans if they reach that extra pressure rating with less of the harsh chemicals and more of their proprietary additives they've used for years? I ended up going with the Motul that OSG recommends, but I still wouldn't be afraid of running the redline.

Also per Redline:
Since most GL-5 gear oils for differentials are too slippery for manual transmissions, Red Line offers these products that ensure proper shifting while providing ultimate wear protection
  • Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
  • Red Line offers lubricants to pinpoint nearly every transmission application
  • MT-LV, MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears
  • Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates
  • Excellent for high- and low-mile transmissions
  • Compatible with petroleums and other synthetics
So yes, for transaxles, and they also add extra protection for brass that most normal GL5s don't, so I wouldn't worry. If you consider most mini owners never even change it, if you even change it every 30-50k I think you'll find virtually no difference between the redline or mini oil in wear. I trust redline to protect a bit better in the long run though.

Old 08-28-2021, 02:10 PM
930 Engineering
2nd Gear
I'd suggest you do some reading on Bitog. You'll likely change your opinion. I don't believe everything what oil blenders such as RL claim.

Old 11-13-2021, 02:04 PM
930 Engineering
2nd Gear
Mini manual transmissions require API GL-4 rated MTFs. See:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th....347562/page-2

In particular post #27.