R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Power cut out and clicking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 AM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power cut out and clicking?

Driving to work this morning and for a brief, fleeting moment, power cut out and was accompanied by "clicking"? Driving in fourth I believe, WOT, at relatively low revs (3-4K).

I cannot tell if it was boost that cut out or power entirely.

Anyone have any idea as to what this could be, be a sign of or be reason to further investigate.

This has happened before but these episodes are far and few between. This was the first time I heard what I describe as the clicking while power was gone. Almost like the car was working to get power back to...something, I don't know.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:45 PM
GAT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tylewis
Driving to work this morning and for a brief, fleeting moment, power cut out and was accompanied by "clicking"? Driving in fourth I believe, WOT, at relatively low revs (3-4K).

Anyone have any idea as to what this could be, be a sign of or be reason to further investigate.

This has happened before but these episodes are far and few between. This was the first time I heard what I describe as the clicking while power was gone. Almost like the car was working to get power back to...something, I don't know.
I honestly have no idea what could have caused that but based off the way you described it it sounds like your car stalled and restarted via the "rolling start" method. Can you tell if that's what actually happened? Is it manual or auto?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, or the throttle body adjusting to get more air from the loss air and its throttling on its own to gain back. I would post a video or sound clip, might be a sticky throttle body. Are you getting a CEL ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-17-2015, 05:05 PM
tylewis
3rd Gear
No CEL or codes. As I have said this happened before under WOT. I cannot say with certainty, but I am almost positive the car did not stall and then roll-start again. An issue with the turbo sounds most likely. Maybe boost pressure cut out for a moment for whatever reason (misc. malfunction) and then resolved itself. I am not concerned, vehicle has been performing perfectly since then-under heavy downpour and sunny skies. Thanks everyone, everything should be fine.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:18 PM
SpuuDy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tylewis

I had the same problem a few months ago... (R56 mini n14) Thanks to a warranty the dealership gave to me with my car, they had to replace the timing chain at their cost. Are there puffs of white smoke coming out the back when this happens? If so it sounds a lot like my problem..

Old 12-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Genzox
1st Gear
I just had the same thing happen to me today! I had this problem a couple of months ago, I have since done a timing chain and it just did it again....

Old 12-18-2015, 12:39 PM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Same here, the first time or two happened before the timing chain replacement. The third (most recent) done after timing chain replacement. No idea about the white smoke.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:11 PM
SpuuDy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I had my timing chain replaced and it stopped happening for a little... It happened the other day from 2nd gear - 5th gear (it only happens now very rarely). I added oil because it was a little below the half way mark on the dip stick and that seemed to help a little. I've done some reading and hear a lot about carbon build up in the intake. I might run some sea foam through it in hopes it coughs this stuff up and drives fine.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:15 AM
tylewis
3rd Gear
I haven't heard of any noticeable results from seafoam treatment. From what I understand, walnut blasting is the only worthwhile procedure. I plan on having that done within the next 2 months and will make a post about the effects.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
+1 for walnut blasting.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cleaning.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172