R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New R56 owner, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 07:19 AM
GimmeBoost
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New R56 owner, some questions

My background is older BMWs, so bear with me. I just picked up a 2009 Justa a few days back. 118k, manual, sport seats, and cold weather package. The only real defect on purchase are the rear tires need replacing and it's missing the right front wiper hinge cover. So, questions:

175/65R15 seems to have crap selection for tires. I'm looking for wheels on CL currently, I might demote the stock 15" wheels to winter duty and put better tires on for the warmer months. What size wheel/tire is best for selection these days? I don't need track rubber, but quiet with predictable approachable limits is what I usually go for aside from basic stiction.

Related to that, the car has the "2VB TYRE PRESSURE INDICATOR" option. Does that mean it has actual TPMS sensors in the wheels or does it get info from the wheel speed sensors? I haven't been able find a definitive answer on this.

As I said, I need the right front wiper arm hinge cover. I found the part online, but it indicated that there was a hinge design change at some point. It didn't indicate when it changed or how to tell the difference. Do I have the early hinge or the later hinge? Who are your preferred vendors for parts?

The car didn't come with Bluetooth or phone prep. I'd like to add BT. Seems easy enough given that there's an Aux jack right there. I'm sure there's power nearby since the lighter's right there. Have forum members had better or worse luck with one solution or another? I'd primarily use it for listening to music and navigation prompts.

Sorry for the laundry list. If it's better to split up the questions just let me know and I will. Thanks for any info/assistance.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The better retailers will ask for your VIN or at least your build date to select which parts should actually fit your car. ECS, Pelican Parts, and Way Motor Works are sponsors of this BBS who are also active here. You might try them...

I'd suggest 17s for a wide selection of tires. Even though I personally don't like the looks of them on our cars, they have a ton more available than the 15s, and somewhat more than the 16s. And, judging from history, chances are that they'll make tires to fit 17s for longer than 16s as well.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:07 PM
GimmeBoost
2nd Gear
ECS was where I was looking. I don't remember it asking for VIN, but maybe there's a place to put that I didn't notice initially.

17s I don't mind the look of, but they're much heavier than the stockers. One a base Cooper that might not be a good thing. It might just boil down to what pops up on CL in that regard.

Anybody have thoughts on the other questions?

Old 11-08-2015, 05:02 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the r56 has real sensors, so add 40-50/wheel.
Im sticking with 16s myself. I dont see an issue with tire selection.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:56 AM
vballcoach
1st Gear
had 15" spoolers on my base. picked up 16 x-lites on CL for $200. picked up tpms on ebay for $40 and new valves $25. had Falken Ziex 205/50 and sensors installed on my x-lites from Tires Plus for $356.

love the way it rides. hated the Conti sport run flat ride but loved the light weight of the wheel. my x-lites are exactly 10.5lbs heavier and that's weighed with tires installed.

I have the Bluetooth on my base. I did move the mic to the drivers side but now everyone I talk to using it says it sounds all choppy.
I have consequently stopped using Bluetooth with my LG3

Old 11-09-2015, 02:35 AM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2009 Cooper S

I run Hankook summer tires on R112, 17" rims in the summer, and Blizzak 195/55/16 in the winter
Winter tire and wheel set was purchased through Alex at Tire Rack.
I live in Eastern Ct. Close to the RI border.

In the middle of the 2009 model year the TPMS sensor frequency was changed. IIRC, it was switched from a 400mHz RD6, to a 400mHz RD8. ( someone correct me if I have it wrong please.)
If a 2009 justa', is like my 2009 S, you literally need to know which month your car was built in to purchase the correct TPMS sensors. That's why the VIN is important. The sensor is part of your valve stem. I have a November 2009 build for my Cooper S, and a March 2013 build for my JCW. They both use the same sensor. The sensors from my previous 2007 don't work with either.

I can't help you with the blue tooth. My 2009 is pretty much fully loaded, but I never use any of the audio/electronics. Don't use it in the JCW either.

Last edited by silkcut; 11-09-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:42 AM
GimmeBoost
2nd Gear
Well that stinks. Great information though. Do they early r56 cars share a sensor with the first gen cars? That makes CL hunting even more difficult. :/

Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Gen I s dont have sensors. I wouldnt go looking for used ones anyway, the cost/hassle of replacing a bad one is more than you'll save

Old 11-09-2015, 05:43 AM
GimmeBoost
2nd Gear
Well I'm shopping used wheels at the moment, hence the question. I forgot that the R50/R53 didn't use a sensor based TPMS system though. I should probably just budget to replace them on whatever set I get.

It appears that there's no way to display the tire pressure inside the car, is that correct? That's somewhat disappointing.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:24 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can look up part numbers on www.realoem.com and see if a newer part number superceded the original part number. Have the last 7 of your vin to get your build date in the system.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 PM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GimmeBoost
Well that stinks. Great information though. Do they early r56 cars share a sensor with the first gen cars? That makes CL hunting even more difficult. :/
Your Mini is what is referred to as a Generation II mini. The Gen I's ran from 2002 -2006.
The 2007 model year was another year in which TPMS systems changed, but it was more radical. This model year saw the change to the internal sensor.
You are looking for either an RD6, or an RD8 sensor. Don't buy them used, it's not worth it. The sensors cost $30-$50 bucks depending on where you get them. It's not worth having tires taken off and remounted to change a sensor that was bad to start with. Realize also, that not all wheels are TPMS compatible. The inner surface of the wheel, just under the valve hole is milled flat to accept the sensor.
Many people do not even have their winter tires setup with TPMS, they just have the alert on the dash through the winter. The car works just fine, but you have a yellow light lit up, and will get the red light as your car starts up.
Neither of my cars display the actual tire pressure. My GMC Denali truck displays it, but not my Mini's.
Go to the Real OEM website, as recommended, and type in your VIN. Everything you need to know will be there. The Mini, being made by BMW, has the same part number system. If you were comfortable with ordering parts for your BMW's, it will be easy for you to adjust to the Mini's.

There are many free VIN decoder websites, that will tell you most everything about your car. BMW has a VIN decoder site that you pay for to get even more info. Last I checked, I think it was $30 bucks for a single VIN check.

Last edited by silkcut; 11-09-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:17 PM
GimmeBoost
2nd Gear
Problem with my car is the build date was the cutoff month. Things sometimes get iffy that circumstance. Local dealer parts slinger was able to verify that I would need the early style TPMS though. Where do you find the sensors for $30-50? References I've seen indicate to steer clear of the aftermarket brands on this, and the OE stuff seems to run about $70-80 per wheel.

Do the first gen 16" wheels have provisions for TPMS mounting like you describe?