R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Key Fob reprogramming Mini Cooper R56

Old 01-21-2017, 01:41 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Place the fob in the key and press it in for power but do not start the car. Leave for 10 seconds then remove it. Repeat with key #2. If the key starts the car which it does either the CAS has lost the RFID which the above will correct or there is a reception problem.
Thread bump just to say YES this worked for my 13' R60. We got a new key mailed to us and that got it working!. No trip to the dealer for me, unless I want the actual valet key cut, but I wonder if that would work at any key place.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:52 PM
PSPMini
Alliance Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Inop After Mirror Swap

J3ster76 - Your post is the one I've been searching for!
I have a 2012 R55N that came with an auto-dim mirror. I installed a used mirror with auto-dim+HomeLink today. Both those features work fine but my remotes don't work anymore. All my personalized settings that are tied to the remote are gone as well. I re-installed my original mirror and everything works as before - remotes and settings.
If I understand your post, it sounds like my new mirror has a faulty remote receiver? Correct?
Can you provide a bit more detail about swapping this small circuit board in the mirrors? Maybe I should just return the one I bought and find another?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by J3ster76
Hello
I just wanted to say that I bought an R56 with the problem of the remote central locking not working. After doing my research on this forum I went and grabbed a mirror from another R56 - connected it and now everything works as it should. Obviously the remote receiver in the mirror was faulty. I have two frustrations.
1.How can Mini dealers let people buy new keys, mirrors etc and pay crazy money to have everything programmed when we are really talking a small circuit board in the mirror - or worst case a new mirror that literally takes 5 minutes to swap out - with no programming required. It's disgusting.
2. The price of a replacement mirror.

Anyway, thanks to this forum and BLokE_W_a_MINI I have paid $0 for this fix.
Note: This was an exact swap (R56 auto-dimming mirror for R56 auto-dimming mirror).

Old 03-12-2018, 07:09 AM
advoco
Neutral
Just quickly updating this old thread.
Swaping mirrors helped with my issue as well. That's the cheapest known fix that you can do easily by yourself. Just buy used mirror and replace it! You may want to check if the that's the solution before you will swap the whole mirror. To do this remove the plastic case and take out that small cable, next connect the new mirror and check your remote. If it works - swap the whole mirror, if not - your problem is somewhere else.

The following users liked this post:
PSPMini (03-12-2018)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
2013 Clubman FOB Fixer, Yes?

Originally Posted by valvashon
Good luck with it- let me know if I can help in some way.
Val I tried sending you a PM, got error that your inbox needs attention - message won't send.

What I'd written:

Saw your post on NAM.
Have 2013 Clubman. One fob works fine still, second quit working door locks 6 months ago.
Tried replacing 2030 battery awhile back (done board stuff before, no big deal with soldering pencil) but no success. Fob runs MINI, won't remote-open doors.
Sent FOB to UK repair service, now UK Customs wants US $75 to release to repair agent. NOT gonna happen! So it's being returned.
If YOU can help, let ME know!
PITA having to lock/open doors w/ mechanical key, waiting for working fob to quit any day now.

kind regards if you can help (thanks anyway if you can't but let me know!)!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:58 AM
Emma Marine
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this i an old post but I am answering here in case someone needs an answer for that issue. So i bought a key fob on ebay tried to reprogram it. i started by inserting the key fob pressing the start button without pressing the clutch, leaving the key 10 sec in then removing it and d9oing the same with my new key fob... didn't work
then i removed the keys from the fob did the same thing.... nothing
but then I inserted one of the keyfob, tried to start the car, it wouldn't work so i switched keyfob and it would start (so i guess it was my old keyfob). and finally i tried again inserting my new keyfob and tried to start and it started tried both keys again to make sure it was working and it does. so i'm not sure exactly out of all the different steps i did is the one that worked but i figured i would write it all so that you could reproduce and it should work. hope that isn't too confusing.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:39 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma Marine
I know this i an old post but I am answering here in case someone needs an answer for that issue. So i bought a key fob on ebay tried to reprogram it. i started by inserting the key fob pressing the start button without pressing the clutch, leaving the key 10 sec in then removing it and d9oing the same with my new key fob... didn't work
then i removed the keys from the fob did the same thing.... nothing
but then I inserted one of the keyfob, tried to start the car, it wouldn't work so i switched keyfob and it would start (so i guess it was my old keyfob). and finally i tried again inserting my new keyfob and tried to start and it started tried both keys again to make sure it was working and it does. so i'm not sure exactly out of all the different steps i did is the one that worked but i figured i would write it all so that you could reproduce and it should work. hope that isn't too confusing.
If you release the working key and instantly insert the "new" key, the car sure will start. BUT, if you remove the key and wait some time and try the new key, it wont work.

Now, when i say new key, i'm referring to an aftermarket one. Those typically are unlocked and have a generic pass code. Therefore, the key needs to be programmed without a question. I've gone through a handful of keys and even dug out the security file of the immobilizer. programming the key means assigning a slot/key number and code the pass code from the immobilizer into the new key.

I wish it were that easy :(

Old 05-23-2019, 10:10 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
quick update; I spent some time last night fiddling with the after market keyfobs.....The results are in! apparently my original CAS had some damage that it didnt recognize the key in the docking. So, I used another CAS and copied the file into it. this time, the key worked. the only issue is the after market fob was supposed to be a comfort access type, upon examination and comparing the circuit board to an OEM keyfob, they were different. In my case, the car came without keys, and this is the best I can get, on my own, until I find a true after market key fob with CA option.

Left is ebay key fob. Right is OEM key fob.

Left is ebay key fob. Right is OEM key fob.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:19 PM
ca92807
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you replace your OEM key top with the ebay top? I've got a missing button and just need a new top, or put my PCB inside a new case. I see lots of remote case parts on aliexpress, but the CA remotes look like they are assembled. How hard is it to separate the remote halves without damaging the PCB?

Old 05-27-2019, 06:31 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
You have to use a sharp edge blade amd be careful not to push it in hard. Take your time. I damaged mine going deep lol.

There are shells with "mini emblem" engraving. Perhaps you could transfer that too.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:48 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ca92807
Can you replace your OEM key top with the ebay top? I've got a missing button and just need a new top, or put my PCB inside a new case. I see lots of remote case parts on aliexpress, but the CA remotes look like they are assembled. How hard is it to separate the remote halves without damaging the PCB?
I do MINI key repair on the side as "MINI Key Hospital". I have comfort access shells that look like the attached picture. No logo but they seem to be of decent quality. $20 for the shell, $20 for the labor. PM me or send me an e-mail to "minikeyhospital (at) outlook (dOt) com.

Bruce

Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Alex Reyentovich
Neutral
Sorry i know this thread goes way back. But its similar to my issue.
I have a 2012 R60 with no comfort entry.
It came with 2 key fobs. One key fob i lost somewhere in my house.. Stupid i know...
The key fob i use the middle open button is missing, it fell out. And sometimes the open button gets pushed by a ghost!! It just pushed but pressed in which also opens all my windows! And the battery was always dead.
Eventually the door open button stopped working completely so now i need to always take my key out the fob to manually unlock the driver door.

I ordered an aftermarket key fob on Ebay. I will first try to do the on/off programming as suggested on this thread. Which looks like it worked for some people.
If this does not work for me i will try to replace the housing.
Any other ideas?

Going to the dealer is not an option for me. The nearest dealer is about 3 hours from me. And the price is just crazy.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:45 AM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
It came with 2 key fobs. One key fob i lost somewhere in my house.. Stupid i know...
The key fob i use the middle open button is missing, it fell out. And sometimes the open button gets pushed by a ghost!! Not just pushed but pressed in and held which also opens all my windows! And the battery was always dead.
Eventually the door open button stopped working completely so now i need to always take my key out the fob to manually unlock the driver door.

I ordered an aftermarket key fob on Ebay. I will first try to do the on/off programming as suggested on this thread. Which looks like it worked for some people.
Any other ideas?

Going to the dealer is not an option for me. The nearest dealer is about 3 hours from me. And the price is just crazy.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:04 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Alexr54
The key fob i use the middle open button is missing, it fell out. And sometimes the open button gets pushed by a ghost!! Not just pushed but pressed in and held which also opens all my windows! And the battery was always dead.

Any other ideas?

The won't work. The "programming" method does not apply to second gens. Swap the shells and call it a day.

There are mini dealers who can take online order for keys when you have a valid DL and car registration.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:30 PM
MiniS08
1st Gear
Thanks man. Just came across this reply from my search but experiencing this issue currently.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:42 PM
grandste
Neutral
Bummer Tech

Originally Posted by advoco
Hello the most active Mini forum in the world

I've got few issues with my beloved Mini, but let's start with this. My two key fobs are not working - they are not opening the doors or the hatch. Of course I can use the key to manually unlock the car, but that's a bit frustrating. I bought the car with this failure and I was aware of it and now I hope to reprogram the keys or somehow connect them to the car. Of course I can start the car with no issues.

The batteries are fine, I've checked and the fobs are transmitting the signal. It can be the receiver in the car failure :( but I hope it's not!

The question is how to you reset or reprogram the key fob for R56 Mini Cooper? I've seen dozens of instructions for older Mini (which don't work) and spent hours searching the answer.. and couldn't find it. If you know the answer than you become the MASTER of Mini Keys!

This is European version of MINI, but I will take all answers and test them so hopefully this thread can help others as well.

That's how the key fob looks like: Google link

Please help, I would love to use my key fobs to open the car as a civilized people do
I researched this, too. You can buy professional digital locksmithing equipment to program the Mini’s fobs. The dealer route is EXPENSIVE. I went to Bimmer Tech online, and bought a fob for my 2011 R57 Ragtop. It was almost $200.00 less than what a dealer would charge (per fob). Company says it is located out of Florida, but the FOB (definitely an OEM) came from Poland in a luxury box, replete with all sorts of instructions. But, basically, they use your Mini Cooper’s VIN to program it just like the sets that come with you Cooper.. For me, it was plug and play. Works like a charm.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:35 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by grandste
I researched this, too. You can buy professional digital locksmithing equipment to program the Mini’s fobs. The dealer route is EXPENSIVE. I went to Bimmer Tech online, and bought a fob for my 2011 R57 Ragtop. It was almost $200.00 less than what a dealer would charge (per fob). Company says it is located out of Florida, but the FOB (definitely an OEM) came from Poland in a luxury box, replete with all sorts of instructions. But, basically, they use your Mini Cooper’s VIN to program it just like the sets that come with you Cooper.. For me, it was plug and play. Works like a charm.
That's not really how these keys work. When you order a genuine MINI key from a dealer they have BMW/MINI create one that will work to start your car by using the car's VIN. When you get that new key you have to take it for a short drive and then the remote functions will "pair" and you will have a fully working key. There is no "programming" that is done to get the remote functions to work. Any "programming" for these keys is to write to the anti-theft chip of an aftermarket key so it will start the car. And don't do that because it will cause problems later on.

If you are absolutely sure that the remotes are sending a signal then they should already be "paired" with the car as long as the key works to start the car. In this case it's extremely likely to be something else, such as the central locking computer or the receiver for the keys which is located in the rear view mirror, often gets wet and stops working.

Val