R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Key situation

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:33 PM
Cooper_pilot
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Key situation

My parents has a 2007 mini cooper convertible. The main key and the only key we have has been on the fritz. The key doesn't want to unlock the doors and the truck. The only way is to unlock the cooper old school.

My dad read on some other forum to do some Voodo magic with the key and the car. It didn't work I know that the key charges when it is plugged in. My dad did a test to see if the cooper actually reeves the signals and he says that the cooper does receives the signal.

Should I go to a Mini cooper dealer ship or a BMW dealer ship BMW parts . He doesn't want to fork over $400 for a key. I feel the same way.

Does anybody know any tips or have had this situation. I will do some testing on my own.

This has annoyed me and dad for a year know.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:55 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I had to replace a key back in January for my R52. I called a dealer for instructions and here's what I had to do. I emailed copies of my title, registration and DL. They let me know when they had it. I had to go to the dealer to get it, they won't ship it. My total was $165.95. I'm pretty sure I remember the initialization process for when you get the new key but ask just to be sure. As memory serves, put it in the ignition and turn it to the ACC position, remove it and hit the lock button 3 times. You may have to repeat the process.
DO NOT try to cheap out by buying something from ebay or amazon. They will not work. The dealership has to have the VIN to get the right key.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
+1 just contact them for the new key , they will need all your info like Fly'n Brick stated.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Funny...
Most every key thread says if YOU NEED A ADDITIONAL KEY, GO TO THE DEALER....
You can make a worn outvkey look better by moving the guts to a new case...
But if you need a new/extra key, GO TO THE DEAKER.
If you don't believe me...
Use the SEARCH FEATURE....really... Please do..
And they have more than one key to sell...
A dumb basic key, a full featured remote entry one, and a plastic valet key...
They all have have one thing you cannot buy elsewhere...the EWS chip, coded to the car.
You can buy and cut an eBay key...but it lacks the EWS chip..so they WILL NEVER START THE CAR.
Some say they have a chip...but come from a different country using a different frequency, and it is NOT PAIRED WITH YOUR (mommy's/daddy's) CAR.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:50 AM
blonda
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to have the dealer replace one of the keys on the R52 we just bought. Would only occasionally unlock the doors/hatch. Turns out the battery was bad and it would not hold a charge. Fortunately they did not charge us for it as it was in the 30 day/1000K mile warranty it came with at purchase but I can imagine it's not a cheap replacement otherwise.