R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Winshield Replacement - Dealer or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 11:54 AM
daidaibi
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winshield Replacement - Dealer or Not?

I got a cracked winshield that needs to be replaced. Dealer would charge $585 including labor and taxes. Glass shops (Glass America and AAA Auto Glass) would charge around $300 from Google search. Not sure if this price includes labor already.

Should I trust glass shops? I want to save money, but if that means lower quality I would rather pay the extra.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:02 PM
debitsandcredits
Neutral
I had my passenger window replaced after someone broke into my car. I used a big chain company and was actually able to haggle my price with them. They did a great job, vaccumed everything too so there were no flecks of glass hanging around. I have no complaints.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Safelite.com

6500 outlets nation wide ... unconditional lifetime warranty

they can do the job at your house or place of work ....

I've used them on MINI, Miata, VW, Audi, Isuzu and Honda . . .

One time I was not 100% happy and called. They returned the next day with new glass and trim pieces and did the job again. No arguments, just a big "we're sorry"

Old 09-17-2015, 01:42 PM
debitsandcredits
Neutral
Checked my emails, safelite is who I used as well. As mentioned before, fully recommend.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 PM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter who you use, just make sure the technician has worked on a Mini as there is quite a bit of trim & gaskets that has to be removed and reinstalled, if not done properly you will have issues with time..

Old 09-17-2015, 06:03 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
The dealer is going to outsource windshield replacement. The other question to ask is if you want OEM Mini glass. Mine it cracked as well (not badly, not in a hurry). I plan to call the dealer and see who they use, then go from there..

Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had mine replaced about 3.5yrs ago by TechniGlass for under $200 cash. So price has likely changed now. The price included a 1 year breakage guarantee for glass replacement (but does not include labor which is $75). Also includes a lifetime rock chip repair. It is not OEM but has been just fine.

TechniGlass is a regional company so it may not be available where you are.
If your car is leased you may have to use OEM glass

Make sure you warn the technician about being very careful about removing the moulding clips.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:16 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I had to have my new (used) R56 windhsield replaced because whoever did it previously sucked all kinds of ***. There were at least 5 leaks on the top and the bottom essentially wasn't sealed at all. No wonder my Comfort Access didn't work. I asked my local dealer (Sandia Mini in Albuquerque) and they recommended a local shop. The owner/operator actually wanted me to be there while he worked. Before he removed the old one he showed me the leaks. After he got it out there was more than 1/2" of urethane and even I could see why it leaked. He removed all the old urethane, made sure to black out the areas of the new OEM windshield that would be visible and replaced all of the seal/strips around the windshield and the piece that goes underneath that the cowls clip to. He didn't charge me for that last piece. It was $450 and has a lifetime warranty on leakage and workmanship. He does a lot of work for Sandia so he was very familiar with them.

I guess the short version is, ask the dealer for a recommendation, check on that recommendation, and pay for quality.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
After you get this one replaced, talk you your insurance guy and get the glass coverage. $100.00 deductible. I've had front glass replace on multiple cars multiples of time at $100.00 a pop.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:23 PM
KeziaPurrs
2nd Gear
Having mine replaced at Safelite tomorrow morning. I'm crossing my fingers that they have MINI experience. I don't want to deal with problems, but who does.

My original cracked 2 weeks into ownership. Brand new 2016 R60.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
Safelite.com

One time I was not 100% happy and called. They returned the next day with new glass and trim pieces and did the job again. No arguments, just a big "we're sorry"
Agree on Safelite...

Got an unusual crack at the bottom center that I thought was an easy patch up repair. It needs a full replacement.. Safelite tech came for an estimate and it was $350 out-the-door less their online coupon. Quality-wise it's the same as OEM but without the MINI etched logo to match. On the financial responsibility side, my deductible will cover the out-of-pocket on this. OEM is great but it's worth literally double.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:58 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeygonz
Agree on Safelite...

Got an unusual crack at the bottom center that I thought was an easy patch up repair. It needs a full replacement.. Safelite tech came for an estimate and it was $350 out-the-door less their online coupon. Quality-wise it's the same as OEM but without the MINI etched logo to match. On the financial responsibility side, my deductible will cover the out-of-pocket on this. OEM is great but it's worth literally double.
I used safelite on my 2008 MINI...and they did quality work! Plus they came to my house.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 AM
KeziaPurrs
2nd Gear
I'm at Safelite right now getting mine replaced. The service guy seemed knowledgeable of MINIs, so i feel better about it. They were booked for a month for home install, so I decided to bring it in.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
After you get this one replaced, talk you your insurance guy and get the glass coverage. $100.00 deductible. I've had front glass replace on multiple cars multiples of time at $100.00 a pop.
Hint 1 - I suggest you ask what it would cost to change to a ZERO deductible for this coverage. I asked and it was a few dollars a year. My policy places glass under "comprehensive" and the deductible rates for this are WAY different from collision.

Hint 2 (for other readers) - in Florida (and some other states) the law says the front glass is a safety item and IF you have coverage on the glass (in my case 'comprehensive' for example) the insurance MUST apply ZERO deductible to this item no matter WHAT your deductible is.

I learned about hint one while living in Virginia near a port with a LOT of trucks tossing rocks on the highway. I learned about hint two a long time ago in Florida.

I have USAA insurance. If you call the claims line the first question asked: is this a glass claim? Answer yes and they route the call straight to Safelite.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:46 PM
daidaibi
Neutral
Thanks for all the help! I got mine replaced by Payless yesterday. The guy came to my workplace to replace it for me. I paid less than half of what the dealer asked for and am satisfied with the installation so far.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 AM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I learned about hint one while living in Virginia near a port with a LOT of trucks tossing rocks on the highway.
I've had several windshields replaced free by just calling the trucking company. they do it all the time.

A word about having the dealer replace your windshield. They have little to no experience because they rarely do it. I'd rather not have them do it, but I do require an OEM windshield.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:14 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Get safelite, ask if they have a person whom does MINI and BMW , get PPG or Genuine MINI glass AND top seal combo. Make sure they seal and clean it right and don't destroy the A-pillar covers.

More info on the rain sensor and such

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-20-2016, 06:29 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by pokeyjoe
I've had several windshields replaced free by just calling the trucking company. they do it all the time.

A word about having the dealer replace your windshield. They have little to no experience because they rarely do it. I'd rather not have them do it, but I do require an OEM windshield.
Maybe at your dealership. Dealers do it right in this region. They have the foam backing pads to A pillars in stock that divert water and air from going into the car ( sometimes not put back on....), and clips on hand to put the Black Lexan A pillar back on correctly so it doesn't fly off on the highway...seen that about dozen times....Dealer's glass are sometimes same or less $ than aftermarket too.

Seen way too many cabin water leaks resulting in the loss off footwell modules ($800 part ) from improperly installed windshields. Trusting a MINI to a truck firm to replace a windshield is like going to foot doctor for brain tumor...

Old 03-20-2016, 11:41 AM
ColoCoug
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Safelite.com

Another vote here. Safelite has done a half-dozen replacements for us, including a 2008 Saab (there's a hard to find car) and never messed anything up.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:11 PM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you choose an independent glass shop for the work, make sure you provide the part numbers for the pieces that will need to be replaced. Not sure about the R56, but there were different windshields available for the R53, some of which had noticeably different geometry than the OE part.
I used Safelite only once and it was a disaster that took two windshields, two A-pillar covers and nearly a year to sort out, despite specific instructions to them about what parts to use.

Last edited by MoBoost; 03-20-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 03-21-2016, 08:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yes, you have to call them ahead of time and make sure they have a Euro windshield guys that know how to do MINIs, safelite had one local here and he knew how to do them.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172