R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sunroof Problem - Anti-Trap Function Disabled Error

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:58 PM
schrottpresse76
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof Problem - Anti-Trap Function Disabled Error

Hi everyone,

I tried some coding with NCS Expert for the first time and it didn't go as planned. I wanted to enable the one-touch sunroof function, but now I get a "Anti-trap function deactivated" error on the display as soon as I insert the key fob.

Here are the details:
- I have a 2011 MC R56 (manufactured in Sep.2010)
- I used a laptop with Win XP Pro, 32 Bit
- I used NCS Expert 3.1.0 and NCS Dummy 0.6.0.4
- Daten files are 53.0.5

I've read the module SHD and then loaded the FSW_PSW.TRC file with NCS Dummy, then programmed the modified file FSW_PSW.MAN.
The error message appeared on the display immediately after programming was finished. I hadn't cycled the ignition yet or touched the sunroof button.
After cycling the ignition (with error message, of course), the sunroof opens with one touch as expected, but when closing would only travel short distances and then stop.
Since I kept a copy of the original file I programmed that into the SHD module, hoping it would fix the error message, but no luck. I have to hold the sunroof button now when opening (so that setting reversed correctly), but I still have the same issue when closing + same error message on the display.

One mistake I may have made was to load module SHD_R56.C03 in NSC Dummy when I probably should have used SHD_R56.C04 instead. However, I've compared the original file and the modified file and they are identical except the changes for the sunroof settings. So, I think it didn't make any difference that I used SHD_R56.C03.

What went wrong and how can I fix it?
Would resetting the SHD module achieve a different result than programming it with the original file?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:15 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to me, but you can easily fix it. There is a simple procedure to reset the sunroof pinch protection. The sunroof switch had 4 positions. Two half positions and 2 full positions. Hold the switch in the half position until the sunroof fully opens and closes while continuing to hold the switch in the half position. Somewhere in the NAM site has the procedure laid out. I did a quick search and couldn't find it, so the procedure I gave you is from memory.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 PM
schrottpresse76
1st Gear
Originally Posted by neonsteve
Same thing happened to me, but you can easily fix it. There is a simple procedure to reset the sunroof pinch protection. The sunroof switch had 4 positions. Two half positions and 2 full positions. Hold the switch in the half position until the sunroof fully opens and closes while continuing to hold the switch in the half position. Somewhere in the NAM site has the procedure laid out. I did a quick search and couldn't find it, so the procedure I gave you is from memory.
Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try that tomorrow morning. I don't want to be stuck with an open sunroof all night... had problems earlier today to get it to close, so I don't want to take a chance now.

I have to admit, I never noticed that the switch has 4 positions. I thought it's just 2 positions like all the other toggle switches.

Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:33 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
You're welcome. One thing you can program in NCS Expert makes the sunroof pop up when you do one "full pull" on the switch, and then open all the way when you do a second full pull on the switch. It's cool because you can let go of the switch while the sunroof is opening or closing. If you do a half pull then the sunroof will stop when you let go. If you haven't programmed it with NCS Expert then you always have to hold the switch.

I started using the BMWhat app to program my car but unfortunately it's missing a lot and some programming features didn't work for my car.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:35 AM
schrottpresse76
1st Gear
I'm happy to report that this fixed the issue. Thanks so much, Noeonsteve.

For everybody that has the same problem, here is what I did:

1) Insert the key fob and start the engine.

2) Press the sunroof button to the half forward position and hold it (towards the windshield). Don't press it all the way forward - it won't work...
Note: my sunroof was completely closed - not sure if this procedure works with an open sunroof.

3) Nothing happens initially, but after holding the button for 15 seconds or so the sunroof will start to open.

4) Keep holding the button half way forward...The sunroof will open completely and the close automatically.

5) Release the button once the sunroof is closed all the way.

6) That's it, your sunroof is recalibrated and "Anti-Trap Function Disabled" error is cleared. Everything should be as good as new.

I think, I also figured out why I got the error in the first place. When I programmed it with NCS Expert the first time, I didn't have the ignition on (forgot to press the engine start button). I only had the key fob inserted.

Now, after everything was back to normal, I tried to program the one-touch function again. No error this time, but for some reason the one touch won't "Kick in" right away when opening. I have to hold the button until the sunroof is past the tilt position. When I let go after that it keeps opening like expected.

When closing the one-touch function doesn't seem to work at all. I have to hold the button like I had to with the stock settings.

I've read back the modified settings from the module to confirm that all 4 sunroof one-touch functions are enabled, and they are! However, I noticed that the very first entry of the FSW_PSW.TRC file is VERSIONSINDEX wert_01. This wasn't there before. Not sure if this has anything to do with why the one-touch isn't working as expected. I can live with the result though. At least it's not "broken" as it was before

Thanks again for your help, Neonsteve!

Cheers!

Old 05-03-2015, 12:47 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
I am glad you were able to get the sunroof fixed with that procedure.

With one touch enabled my sunroof requires two touches but I don't have to hold the switch. One full touch to open to the tilted position, and a second full touch to open all the way. I can let go of the switch between touches. My sunroof also closes with two touches, exactly the same way it opens. So yours is opening correctly but not closing correctly.

These are the values I changed to get my one touch (actually two touch) working:

SHD:
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_AUF
aktiv
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_SENK
aktiv
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_ZU
aktiv
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_HEB
aktiv

Old 05-03-2015, 01:13 PM
schrottpresse76
1st Gear
UPDATE:

I took the car for a drive this afternoon and all the one-touch functions are working now as expected. I didn't have to make any changes!

I think, when I programmed it I probably didn't take the key fob out long enough to "power cycle" the car, so the new settings weren't loaded properly at first. When I went for a drive about 30 minutes later everything was working....

Cheers!

Old 05-03-2015, 01:18 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Sweet!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:01 PM
schrottpresse76
1st Gear
UPDATE 2:

My sunroof seems to behave differently depending on engine being on or off:

Engine ON --> all one touch functions work as expected

Engine OFF --> one touch function works somewhat when opening - I have to hold the button a bit longer for it to work.
When closing the one touch function doesn't work at all. I have to hold the button until it is closed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:12 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Have you lubed the sun roof tracks and mechanisms? I do that along with the boot hinges monthly.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:16 PM
schrottpresse76
1st Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Have you lubed the sun roof tracks and mechanisms? I do that along with the boot hinges monthly.
Thanks for your reply! I haven't lubed the tracks. Mechanically the sunroof is fine. The switch just operates it differently when the engine is off vs. engine on.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:50 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
I just tried the one touch with engine off and ignition in Accessory mode and mine does the same thing. It will pop up with one touch but won't open or close with one touch unless I hold the switch a little extra longer. If I just tap the switch the roof only moves a little then stops. With car in On mode (fuel level displayed) and engine off, and also with engine running, one touch behaves properly. I guess that's just how it is. Not sure if it matters but my battery voltage is exactly 12.01v.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:32 PM
schrottpresse76
1st Gear
I just tried the one touch with engine off and ignition in Accessory mode and mine does the same thing. It will pop up with one touch but won't open or close with one touch unless I hold the switch a little extra longer. If I just tap the switch the roof only moves a little then stops. With car in On mode (fuel level displayed) and engine off, and also with engine running, one touch behaves properly. I guess that's just how it is. Not sure if it matters but my battery voltage is exactly 12.01v.
Yes, that's exactly what mine does. I didn't check the battery voltage, but I don't think that's the cause.

Thanks Neonsteve!