R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help meh!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help meh!

Hello gents. Just joined the forum due to the recent purchase of an '08 MCS. SO, here is my issue. I've been looking around for some performance plugs and read CZARs post on the matter. But im looking for something that fits my specific application. The motor is completely stock (FTM) and I found the Brisk MR12Ys is made for this car. Will these work for my application? If so what gapping should i set? Thanks for any response.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:28 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Not familiar with those plugs. I just installed a set of these... NGK (5992) ILZKBR7A-8G Laser Iridium Spark Plug

Old 11-04-2014, 01:41 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also using the NGK plugs. If you have read Czar's post you will know he recommends these plugs if your running higher boost tune than stock, these are also used in the JCW. If your car is stock there's no need to use these but I won't hurt. Also the plugs are changed every 30k in the JCW compared to 100k(km) on the S. Gap is set from factory .8mm I think.

OP are you planning tunning your car?

This thread might help you decide which plug you want to use.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mendation.html

Old 11-04-2014, 01:50 AM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
I am planning on tuning my car. Was planning on the evolve R setup. Something easy. So you'd recommend a tune before the performance plugs? And remain with stock until then?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:59 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Yes, change your plugs at the same time as getting your tune like everything else dp etc that way you'll pay for one tune. That's what I did when I got my Evolve tune.

Decide on what stage tune you want and organise the hardware required.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:30 AM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
Gotcha. I suppose the tune should be my first investment. Seeing as the car wont work properly without it, plus bolt ons. Im trying to make around 250+ WHP. It'll be a long road but from what i understand it's achievable. I appreciate the info. But, would me changing to those plugs now cause any damage? I need to change them anyway.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:13 AM
Seasidenj
Neutral
Just as a side note, I read article a while back in detail about spark plugs, iridium, platinum and the other exotic metals are mainly to prolong the life of the spark plug. The old-fashioned copper, although not lasting quite as long really gives the best spark.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:48 AM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
yeah i read that post. CZARs I believe? He was pretty knowlegable and I pm'd him to see if he could help me with my issue. I know that my plugs are due for a change. So i wanted to know if using the silver core plugs on a stock engine would cause catestrophic failure. Might as well pick them up while im at it you know?

Old 11-04-2014, 12:53 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hurdboy
Gotcha. I suppose the tune should be my first investment. Seeing as the car wont work properly without it, plus bolt ons. Im trying to make around 250+ WHP. It'll be a long road but from what i understand it's achievable. I appreciate the info. But, would me changing to those plugs now cause any damage? I need to change them anyway.
OK you want to play with the big boys.

To me if you want to reliably make 250whp you'll going to need a bigger turbo if going with Evolve they did develop a tune for the S with a JCW turbo dynoed at 290hp which should get you around 250whp.

You should shoot Evolve an email before starting your journey and hear what they have to say. Also if you are lucky enough to have a tuner nearby or willing to ship your ECU manic etc maybe able to help you.

And no changing your plugs to a more robust type won't cause you any problems and if their due to be changed its a too idea to do it now.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm using the Brisk QR12LS plugs that Sneed4Speed sells. I had NGKs as well. Honestly either is fine, the Brisks I run are a colder range than the stock NGKs however.

Be sure to shop around for your tune and check with members who have had any of the tunes. Some companies offer better support after the sale than others. Some tuners will charge each time you want a tune adjusted too. Just make sure you ask questions of the tuner before you buy. Also, if you plan on doing a turbo upgrade, make sure you have a tuner that is familiar with the turbo in question, that way you get the best results from the turbo and the tune.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
Okay. Thanks for the replies. I'm new to turboed cars. I know how it works and I'm familiar with bolt ons. But with the larger JCW turbo and tune would I need any supporting mods to make it work more efficiently? Ive got the breathing portion can be done via elbow grease and bolt on parts but other than that I'm kinda lost. Lol and I've been looking for a reputable tuner around my location but apparently a dyno is hard to come by haha

Old 11-04-2014, 06:29 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Thanks why I mentioned Evolve's tune using the JCW turbo they have a tune fully dyno tested using that turbo with 1/4 mile runs and track time.

Other members on here have installed bigger turbos K04 etc and had issues and even lost power. If you want to remotely flash your car you better make sure they have a proven tune to work with the turbo you install.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
So they're able to make 250whp with that turbo alone? Along with the tune of course but no other modes?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Since this site does not allow links to other MINI forums heres a cut and paste quote from Evolves development thread. The site it was taken from is minitorque which is UK based.

Its been a while since our last update as we have been very busy with BMW stuff.

Here is where we are at at the moment. Very pleased with the results so far. Please bare in mind we are pushing the boundaries here and this is our own car - we do not know at this stage what other parts are required to make this upgrade reliable in the long term.

Current mods:

Evolve Sport Cat Downpipe
Evolve Exhaust
Evolve V1 FMIC
Simota CF Intake - brand new filter
Evolve ECU Remap
JCW Exhaust Manifold
JCW Turbo
JCW Inlet Tube
Okada Plasma Coilpacks

Shell V-Power 99 oct fuel.

All hoses and DV stock!

(Thanks to Mattykhz for the loan of the turbo/coil packs for testing) I will make another post showing the difference the coil packs made back to back. We will be buying some for our car!

I have done 2 Vbox runs in the little time I had on Saturday. I managed 11.8 0-100mph on a little downhill and 13.0 0-100mph on a slight incline. This is with traction kicking in and running run flats (still on my winter wheels). Need to book some time at Bruntingthorpe when new clutch is fitted.

290 BHP and 335 lb.ft Torque.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:14 AM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
So the JCW stuff on the S makes big power. Makes sense to me lol I was looking into the Alta tubes and most likely intake/TBE. And Im trying todecide between several FMICs. Alta/Forge/Helix. But cant seem to find a difference other than price. The tune is obvious lol And didnt think too much on the Coilpacks being an issue? As well as the exhaust manifold?

Old 11-05-2014, 01:03 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Here you go looks like only some sites a blocked from linking to. Enjoy all 48 pages should answer all your questions as far as Evolve is concerned.

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...ooper-s-13994/

Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
Man I read that entire thread lol I appreciate all the feedback. I ordered my spark plugs and now im going to work on getting the tuning software. Hopefully ill be posting in the build thread soon!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Looking forward to it.

What company are you planning on using and what level tune will you be going for. I've always been interested in the 290hp JCW Evolve tune but was worried about shredding my auto transmission

I've never read of any one saying to Evolve Yo send me that tune for the JCW turbo for my S, the only guy who's used an Evolve tune like that with that turbo is Thepenl that I know of.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:06 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Scubby , might be because the people who go the distance to get those numbers pay for other parts that are needed to get those numbers. And aren't afraid to pay for dyno time. Now please, correct me if I'm wrong so the members know whether or not there are dyno's for the evolve tuning, but I've never seen a dealer offering evolve dyno tuning or heard of anyone getting it done. It takes more than common bolt ons to get it to those numbers. We all know every car is different.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:13 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
@ hurdboy take a look at the Wagner stuff. Like the competition Wagner FMIC. Might have to trim some off the support above the cooler to make it fit. But there's another option for ya. Nice quality piece to. Standard FMIC is $550. Competition is $590. Thumbs up my friends. The 08 super duper monster mini will soon be trolling the roads once again. Just wish I could put a huge stroke crank in the damn thing.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
Yeah I was looking at wagner FMICs as well the the Evolve FMIC. Prices are pretty comparable. No freaking clue what the difference is in the Comp/Standard. Im sure the flow and ambient temps drop but i like knowing how things work too. And Scubby i decided on the Evolve R. Pricey but I think the being able to tune from home will make it worth it. I think the closest reputable dyno is 3+ hrs away from me. Cost vs. benefit isnt doing it for me. And wouldnt the turbo+airbox essentially make the car in the JCW tuning range? Could be wrong. Be that just plain makes sense to me, and would make tuning the MCS much easier.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:35 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
Scubby , might be because the people who go the distance to get those numbers pay for other parts that are needed to get those numbers. And aren't afraid to pay for dyno time. Now please, correct me if I'm wrong so the members know whether or not there are dyno's for the evolve tuning, but I've never seen a dealer offering evolve dyno tuning or heard of anyone getting it done. It takes more than common bolt ons to get it to those numbers. We all know every car is different.
According to Evolve with the adaptive nature of our cars there's no need to dyno tune your car. Now before you get crazy on my *** that's why I specifically say make sure the tuner you decide to go with has a proven tune to work with the turbo you decide to go with.

Evolve does also state in their development thread their not sure what is required to make that tune reliable in there long term, which was in the extract that I included in my other post and made sure it was there.

Thepenl a similar tune for two years without problems before he bought a second motor and rebuilt it with forged internals.

I can also link that build thread since it on the same site.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:11 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
And here it is all 113 pages of it, shes a bid banger.
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...nls-r56-25947/

He's straight forward about works and has done dyno runs as well. Hope to here back from you in about three to four days

Old 11-09-2014, 08:52 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Lmfao. That's a long A** article. I tried reading Once. ONCE. 😜

Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Hurdboy
1st Gear
Would that happen to be a Johnny Dangerously reference? :D

Quick Reply: R56 Help meh!