R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 FYI: You cannot sell your Evolve-R tuning cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI: You cannot sell your Evolve-R tuning cable

I am in the process of selling my Mini and contacted Evolve about the cost to get a new map made if I were to sell the cable to someone else.

Well, that cost is $0, because you cant use the cable on any other car.

So, be aware when purchasing an Evolve tune because it is worthless if you decide to sell your Mini.

Hi Salman,

New question for you...

I am considering selling my Mini. What is the cost for someone to come to you and get a new map developed if I were to sell my Evolve-R?

Thanks,
Justin

Salman - Evolve Automotive
Jun 25 (1 day ago)

Hi Justin,

sorry for my late reply.

The evolveR is now locked to your car and cannot be sold separately.

Justin Lipson <justinl@vt.edu>
Jun 25 (1 day ago)

Hi Salman,

That sure throws a wrench in things. Can you please explain why? I understand that the map would not work, but the actual OBD connector?

Thanks,
Justin

1:49 PM (21 hours ago)

HI Justin,

the evolve-R locks to the DME. We do this otherwise people use 1 cable and try and tune everyone's cars with it. All tuners do this. The cable basically ensures only 1 license can be used and not multiple.

Justin Lipson <justinl@vt.edu>
1:52 PM (21 hours ago)

Hi Salman,

Ok, that makes sense. But, with me selling the car and having no need for it, what are my options? Surely you could "reset" the cable so someone else could use it.

I spent a large amount of money for the tune and I would really like to recoup some of that cost. What can you do to help me out?

Thanks,
Justin

11:26 AM (0 minutes ago)

Hi Justin,

I appreciate you wanting to recover money but no other tuners allow this other than Cobb.

Resetting the cable requires it to be sent to the UK and then around 30 mins of our time to unlock it. The cable value is not high enough to warrant this.

The tune is the expensive part and that is software. The cable is only hardware.

Many thanks,

Salman Janjua
Head of Research and Engine Calibration

Old 06-26-2014, 08:42 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, Cobb isn't the only tuner that will reset a flash tool, but regardless, there is a cost associated with it.

These are propietary, and he's right in that all tuners do this, so you can't share your tunes with other cars. That's totally understandable.

But it sucks that they won't reset it, or allow you to sell it to someone that could then have it reset for a tune from them, most tuners will allow this.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cct1
Actually, Cobb isn't the only tuner that will reset a flash tool, but regardless, there is a cost associated with it.

These are propietary, and he's right in that all tuners do this, so you can't share your tunes with other cars. That's totally understandable.

But it sucks that they won't reset it, or allow you to sell it to someone that could then have it reset for a tune from them, most tuners will allow this.
The accessport will only instaall on 1 car at a time. But to get it to work on a new car, it needs to be uninstalled from the original car. The AP knows this, and will prevent you from flashing multiple cars.

I feel this is what Evolve should do. Obviously, my tune is for my car and that it would be a bad idea to put it on another car.

But, if I dont have the car, then reset the tuner and charge the next guy X amount of money for a new map.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I gotta call BS on them not 'able' to reset.

I have the DimSport Flash Box from Jan at RMW and it can be reset for a cost of 150.oo$ the money does not go to Jan but to DimSport for this service. I have seen the boxes sold on the secondary market for 125 to 75$.

So say 100$ used for the box and 150$ to reset is still a little bit of a bargain for the buyer, as a new unit is 300.oo$. Of course you still have to buy a NEW tune from RMW/Jan for the 350 to 500.

and

I also have a SCT x3 for my Mustang, I bought the unit used, for 75$ and then took it to SCT (they are nearly local to me), for the cost of 150$ they reset the box. The nice thing about the SCT (and other mustang/ford units) is that if you remove the tune from the car it un-marries, the ECU.

I had to have mine reset as the former owner, did not remove the tune when he sold the car, AND it had really old software on it.

Moral of this story, dont buy from Evolve!

Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mention a cost of $150 to reset and what I am reading from Evolve is that the hardware is not worth messing with if they have to spend that much to reset it....they can just throw it away and provide new hardware cheaper.

Makes sense to me. You are paying for the total package and the bulk of the cost is the tune (really their IP). The hardware cost is only a small portion.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nine5raptor
You mention a cost of $150 to reset and what I am reading from Evolve is that the hardware is not worth messing with if they have to spend that much to reset it....they can just throw it away and provide new hardware cheaper.

Makes sense to me. You are paying for the total package and the bulk of the cost is the tune (really their IP). The hardware cost is only a small portion.

If they are using such a cheap POS to program the DME/ECU that it is cheaper to throw it out, then reset it, then fine. But they should have some sort of program available to the customers that have already bought their Intellectual Property. A migration path if you will, as every other seller of any kinda of IP does, be it, Microsoft, Apple, RMW etc etc.

Looks like Evolve, is just a well you bought it and that the end of it. We provide NOTHING to expand our client base or help of current customer to continue to be customers. They are giving the customer a jump off point, and that is a poor business model!

Last edited by c0op3r; 06-26-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
You are looking at it wrong.

The cable is free.

The tune costs money.

I would think the suggestion to sell the evolve-R with the car and allowing the new owner to keep the tune is out of the question as you are taking the parts off your car and selling it without the disclaimer that it was modded and running a non-stock engine management? (I could be wrong, but a lot of people do this. Personally, I'm never going to sell my MINI, but I can appreciate the desire to recoup top-dollar. If I ever do sell it, it'll be with mods and tune intact. No way am I taking apart a car I'm not keeping. LOL)

End of story.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:41 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
The accessport will only instaall on 1 car at a time. But to get it to work on a new car, it needs to be uninstalled from the original car. The AP knows this, and will prevent you from flashing multiple cars.

I feel this is what Evolve should do. Obviously, my tune is for my car and that it would be a bad idea to put it on another car.

But, if I dont have the car, then reset the tuner and charge the next guy X amount of money for a new map.
If you but a canned tune on a car with identical mods, the tune itself will work fine on either car, which is why Cobb, RMW, etc. keep their tunes proprietary. Not to mention, people have not only tried it, but tried to sell the tunes once to someone else once they've installed them on their own cars.

Now a dyno tune is different...

But it makes more sense for the tuning company to encourage resetting the tool for someone else--the tuners make money off the tune, not the hardware, and essentially, if you're selling the box, you're selling a tune for them. It's counterproductive for them not to do it, even if it's cost neutral, you're actually drumming up business for them. They're kind of shooting themselves in the foot, not to mention if tuner A will reflash the tool, and tuner B won't, that would be a strong reason to avoid tuner B, like you mentioned in the OP.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
If you but a canned tune on a car with identical mods, the tune itself will work fine on either car, which is why Cobb, RMW, etc. keep their tunes proprietary. Not to mention, people have not only tried it, but tried to sell the tunes once to someone else once they've installed them on their own cars.

Now a dyno tune is different...

But it makes more sense for the tuning company to encourage resetting the tool for someone else--the tuners make money off the tune, not the hardware, and essentially, if you're selling the box, you're selling a tune for them. It's counterproductive for them not to do it, even if it's cost neutral, you're actually drumming up business for them. They're kind of shooting themselves in the foot, not to mention if tuner A will reflash the tool, and tuner B won't, that would be a strong reason to avoid tuner B, like you mentioned in the OP.
Excellent point. But I think most people who buy a tune make their decision based on reputation and NOT if they need a new cable or not.

You have an iPhone right? Are you going to avoid buying a new iPhone when you upgrade because the cable is different? Same thing, no?

Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Exactly, they claim that the tune is a higher % of the price of the overall package. Even with that being true, they should be willing to offer a new tune for second-hand users who arent willing to pay full price for whatever reason.

So they could miss a sale of $700 for the whole package, or build a new tune for maybe $300. Then, I could go and sell the cable for like $200 and the overall cost for the next guy is less than new and everyone is happy.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
Excellent point. But I think most people who buy a tune make their decision based on reputation and NOT if they need a new cable or not.

You have an iPhone right? Are you going to avoid buying a new iPhone when you upgrade because the cable is different? Same thing, no?
Well, the thing is, all the reputable tuners pretty much allow reuse of the tool. And you can sell still sell your old iphone and get something back for it, whereas the OP is stuck with a useless cable...

Old 06-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Well, the thing is, all the reputable tuners pretty much allow reuse of the tool. And you can sell still sell your old iphone and get something back for it, whereas the OP is stuck with a useless cable...
Im not trying to talk badly about anyone here. It's more of a PSA since it was never made clear up front. The tune itself is awesome.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:35 PM
cct1
6th Gear
If they do a good tune, that's even more of a reason for them to reset the tool...

Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just checked the site and a new cable is $200. So, if the cost to ship internationally both ways plus the cost of their time to reset it plus deal with any wear/tear issues is $150, then if you sell the cable for $20, you only save the next user $30 but add a lot of headache....not worth it.

Sent from my Nexus using NAMotoring

Old 06-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nine5raptor
I just checked the site and a new cable is $200. So, if the cost to ship internationally both ways plus the cost of their time to reset it plus deal with any wear/tear issues is $150, then if you sell the cable for $20, you only save the next user $30 but add a lot of headache....not worth it.

Sent from my Nexus using NAMotoring
Don't forget, there is mark-up on all of this as well.