R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 DDM vs Quicksilver vs NM Eng. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
DDM vs Quicksilver vs NM Eng. Thoughts?

I have been shopping for exhaust. I used to have a R53 and left it bone stock. I now have an '07 R56 and have play money. Exhaust is my first step along with intake. There are three exhaust systems I am considering. DDM Works, Quicksilver, and NM-Enginering. All of which are the DP Back system. im not really interested in cutting the stock exhaust (I may someday want to return to stock).

I do eventually plan on upgrading the intercooler and getting the ECU remapped so this exhaust will need to be built for future tuning. Because of that I am a little leary about exhaust below 3" diameter. I'm looking for performance primarily, but also want a good sounding exhaust that isn't too "Ricey"

I am a comlete n00b when it comes to tuning a car. I can replace parts and service the car with no problem, its how each upgrade works with another upgrade that I don't really have a grasp on yet.

So, what are everyones thoughts? Has anyone had any of these? Perhaps more than one? Looking for pros, cons, comparos. Again very open to opinions, as I have never replaced my exhaust and have nothing to form an opinion on.

Thanks everyone!

-Chris

Old 08-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the sound of my VIP Custom exhaust mated with an Akrapovic DP to any other combination that I've heard. I get many good comments. If you are wanting to get the most out of a tune, replace the restrictive OEM DP also.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:29 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
I have been shopping for exhaust. I used to have a R53 and left it bone stock. I now have an '07 R56 and have play money. Exhaust is my first step along with intake. There are three exhaust systems I am considering. DDM Works, Quicksilver, and NM-Enginering. All of which are the DP Back system. im not really interested in cutting the stock exhaust (I may someday want to return to stock).

I do eventually plan on upgrading the intercooler and getting the ECU remapped so this exhaust will need to be built for future tuning. Because of that I am a little leary about exhaust below 3" diameter. I'm looking for performance primarily, but also want a good sounding exhaust that isn't too "Ricey"

I am a comlete n00b when it comes to tuning a car. I can replace parts and service the car with no problem, its how each upgrade works with another upgrade that I don't really have a grasp on yet.

So, what are everyones thoughts? Has anyone had any of these? Perhaps more than one? Looking for pros, cons, comparos. Again very open to opinions, as I have never replaced my exhaust and have nothing to form an opinion on.

Thanks everyone!

-Chris
do research on tunes before you start spending money on parts and having cel's come on. companys are turning there focus to N18's and getting away from the N14. stick with cat back for sound and eave it alone. (K.I.S.S)

Old 08-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
do research on tunes before you start spending money on parts and having cel's come on. companys are turning there focus to N18's and getting away from the N14. stick with cat back for sound and eave it alone. (K.I.S.S)
NM-Engineering appears to still remap ECUs, and to be honest that's the only tune I've looked into so far. I wasn't planning anything beyond DP back either due to possible CEL issues.

I see in your sig. You have the AEM intake. That is one of the intakes I'm considering, how do you like it?

Old 08-24-2013, 04:28 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the quicksilver exhaust alot but was a little pricey for me. After having the stratmosphere exhaust and having terrible drone with it...id be leary of the same thing with the quicksilver exhaust to. I have the riss racing catless dp with the fjcw exhaust with the resonator deleted and its the best sound ive heard so far from the r56. I do have a cel though but will prolly get an ap at some point.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:44 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Akrapovic is the best system under $2k. Keeping under $2k, you can make the Akrapovic with a Evolve Catless DP and it'll still be the best system under $2k. I've convinced several to buy an Akra and each one of them do not regret ordering the system at all.

OP, I'd recommending saving up to either go Akrapovic or save up more and get what I'll be getting soon

Old 08-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Akrapovic is the best system under $2k. Keeping under $2k, you can make the Akrapovic with a Evolve Catless DP and it'll still be the best system under $2k. I've convinced several to buy an Akra and each one of them do not regret ordering the system at all.

OP, I'd recommending saving up to either go Akrapovic or save up more and get what I'll be getting soon
I'd love to get the Akra, it's absolutely gorgeous, but am having a hard time seeing myself spending near $1000 more for it, over almost any other system out there. Plus, did I see right, you need another $250 part to keep the CEL off? I can't stand having lights on

Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quicksilver FTW!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:51 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
I'd love to get the Akra, it's absolutely gorgeous, but am having a hard time seeing myself spending near $1000 more for it, over almost any other system out there. Plus, did I see right, you need another $250 part to keep the CEL off? I can't stand having lights on
Understandable, but if you're disappointed and you have drone or something, I hope you aren't disappointed with your initial choice. So that's why I throw out Akrapovic as another option from the 3 you have questions about. It's definitely one of the best quality built exhausts out there for the R56 platform. You don't need $250 Akra Delete-R. Get the BMS CAN Tool for $180 and it has gauge hi-jacking.

http://burgertuning.com/CAN_reader_tool_for_BMW.html

Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
NM-Engineering appears to still remap ECUs, and to be honest that's the only tune I've looked into so far. I wasn't planning anything beyond DP back either due to possible CEL issues.

I see in your sig. You have the AEM intake. That is one of the intakes I'm considering, how do you like it?
I do like the intake the intake. it allows you to hear the turbo and intake sounds better. outside of the DOS intake system, its one of the only true cai systems. others with the open filter under the hood allows hot air to enter the intake. I am considering moving the MAF sensor from in the air box location to the middle of the steel intake tube more like the factory set up since having it to close to a bend can cause issues with CEL'S. the intake system it self did not cause a CEL tho for my car. other things did and they need to come off. everybody should bombard some of these tuning companys like evolve with emails so hopefully they will hurry along with a new tuning system for our N14 cars.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 AM
watson 29
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Sorry I'm about to threadjack a little) Have you had any issues with rain and your intake?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by watson 29
(Sorry I'm about to threadjack a little) Have you had any issues with rain and your intake?
No. None what so ever. Had it for 2 years now. And I was curious about that when I got it. So after a heavy rain I drove it into the shop and immediately checked the filter. It was dry. I believe the AEM intake is better than the DOS system cause the AEM uses 2 cold air sources instead of one like the DOS. DOS still uses the factory intake tube by the head light. Seems a bit restrictive still to me.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Anyone have thoughts on the ddm one? I like that it doesn't have a resonator and is 3" in diameter. It seems pretty unrestricted...

Old 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM
watson 29
1st Gear
After running with one and without one on my subaru, I wouldn't want to run without a resonator ever again. May restrict 1 hp, but it will take care of all the raspy-ness and give you a deeper tone.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:01 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
FYI 3 inch is too large for the MINI and you will loose exhaust gas velocity, and be adding extra weight to the car.

If you can the Akrapovic is by far the best exhaust around, I even put one on my GP. No drone and perfect fit.
But out of your other choices I would pick the NM dp back.
Never liked the sound of the Quicksilver.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-25-2013, 04:18 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen Ferrari exhausts cheaper than some of these MINI ones.... ****ing pathetic if you ask me lol. It's the shortest, simplest, straightest setup I've seen in a very long time...$800-2000. Explain exactly HOW you can justify that.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Well from posts and further research, I think I can count DDM out of the race. It being the only 3" exhaust of the three.

So, is there anyone out there that has the NM exhaust?

Any comparisons between the two that have been done?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:38 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well from posts and further research, I think I can count DDM out of the race. It being the only 3" exhaust of the three.

So, is there anyone out there that has the NM exhaust?

Any comparisons between the two that have been done?
Whatever you do, call around to see why NM's exhaust had a weird whistle when accelerating. I've seen plenty of YouTube videos on it too. Good luck on whatever exhaust you go with.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had an Invedia for about a week. The drone was horrible.

I considered the Akropovic, but damn it is expensive. I mean really, $650 for exhaust tips? I wonder if you have to use their tips? Would the JCW kit tips work? At least then it would only be about $1200 instead of $1800

And as for cost? Quality costs more. (or at least it should). Lot of these exhausts are made who knows where, out of who knows what. (probably Chinese, you know the guys that don't think twice about putting Melamine our dog food, or lead in kids toys...)

Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
"Paying for qality" can only take a product so far. At some point(maybe that point is the $700-800 mark?), they're all going to be good quality. If all options are 2.5" with mandrel bends(what little bitty bending this exhaust system even has...), solid, non leaking connections, and good welds, Where is the price hike justified?

If all the name brands fit and perform well, I expect a reach around if you can justify jumping from $800 to $1800 on something as simple as a nearly straight pipe and a muffler. Sorry but anything that goes into, bolts onto, or attaches fore or aft my engine is for performance. If there is not a minumum of DOUBLE the power increase for that $1000 extra, it's a pay-for-a-name BS marketing deal to me.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 AM
watson 29
1st Gear
Sorry to about to threadjack again, But would do we think that there is room for another manufacturer for exhausts? A friend of mine owns a company that is mainly a subaru performance shop but works with all models, and what got them started was their exhausts. The subaru system is a couple feet longer then the mini system and much more complicated. Made from stainless, lifetime warranty, good hp increase. They made it so it is fairly modular with different options as far as tips, mufflers, resonators, ext. so you can have a "quite" muffler for daily driving and then the load or even a straight pipe insert for track days. My Subaru system cost me about $650 for the full catback.

I've been planning on having him make my system, but if there's a demand, I'll let him know and they'll get everything setup for production. Send a pm so we don't clutter up the thread and let me know some things you're looking for in a system.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
A stainless system with quality hangers, replaceable resonators/straight pipes, replaceable mufflers/straight pipes etc would be amazing at $650 or less I'd say. Drop a bug in your buddies ear, get under a Cooper S and start doing measurements and estimate a price.

I would think if you can get a good ball park on what it would cost, and some examples of their craftsmanship, you could start an X amount of people pre-order/interest thread so it's financilly worth it for all parties.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
After much deliberation, and tons of research, I decided to order the NM Engineering Exhaust. While I was at it I also ordered the Discharge and Air charge pipes at the same time along with the AEM Intake system. Thank you everyone for allthe input. I'll through up an update once I have everything is installed and had time to enjoy it all!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:21 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
the engine is certainly going to breathe better with those mods, but while you're at it, I would do a catless downpipe as well. Everything before the turbo will be opened up, and everything after the DP will be opened up, but that DP is one of the biggest air restrictions on there. With all that done, I'd also highly suggest a custom tune.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:53 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Damn, that's some expensive piping. Even I wouldn't pay NM for what they're asking. I hope the NM doesn't give you the whistle that some users had.

Quick Reply: R56 DDM vs Quicksilver vs NM Eng. Thoughts?