R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 We are about to order a Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 AM
vtbob
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are about to order a Cooper S

We are about to order a Chili Red Cooper S.

This will be my wife's car, she has chosen the color and will name the car after cardinal Wolsey. Long story..she is a history buff.

Any last minute advice on options, etc would be appreciated.

He is what we want as of now.
6 speed automatic
cold weather package...we live in Vermont
white bonnet stripes
white roof/mirrors
rooster red color line
xenon head lamps
sirius xm radio
white turn signals.
the stock spoke wheels

Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CR and White look great together. If you're feeling brave and don't mind cleaning wheels frequently, you can REALLY finish up the look with white wheels.

I personally do not like the Rooster Red color line with Chili Red. Saw it in person and the red tones just don't match up well IMO. Of course, I'm ridiculously picky about such things.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:06 AM
Velocityvic
3rd Gear
Don't do white wheels, they sometimes look cheap. Reverse sensors for parking is very nice when backing up.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:09 AM
Velocityvic
3rd Gear
Not a factory order but I am really happy with the clear bra on the front of the car. As low as these autos sit you can't help but catch some road debris.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 AM
chrisorbit
1st Gear
I love the comfort access system. It is really nice not having to dig keys out whenever you need to get into your car.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Velocityvic
3rd Gear
Just get everything on it and then you won't want or wish for anything!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocityvic
Don't do white wheels, they sometimes look cheap. Reverse sensors for parking is very nice when backing up.

Take a look in my "garage" and I think you'll agree that white wheels, when done right, don't look cheap at all. They look Fan-f'n-fastic !!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I love the name--especially for a red car! :D (And I wouldn't have gotten the reference without the explanation.) My wife suggested the name of mine, BTW, and it took a minute for me to figure it out.

What kind of seats do you want? The cloth/leather sport seats look pretty decent IMHO. The all-leather seats also look pretty decent. I'm not sure I would go with red for the seats or the interior color line, though, as it might not match that well (as previously mentioned). And, no offense intended to chrisorbit, I don't think I'd get the toffee-colored seats with the red color line either. Maybe toffee and toffee? Not sure against the red.

Make sure that you and your wife sit in all the different type of seats you are considering. My wife finds the sports seats in Fenimore rather uncomfortable. The standard seats may have been a better idea if she were going to drive the car.

If they make Bluetooth an option again, it's good to get. (I believe it's standard, now, but it was an option when I ordered my car.)

I'm not a fan of automatic wipers, auto AC, or other automatic stuff--but some people are, and for them those options would be absolute necessities.

Do you want or need Nav capability?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 AM
jmc31100
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was ready to order a CR/W S Hatch before I found my car on the lot. I was going to order the JCW interior. The black cloth with red accents would tie in nicely with he red exterior.

-John

Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM
cooperScaleb05
2nd Gear
I would definitely get the Harman/Kardon sound because without it the speakers have basically no bass and then when you become unhappy with it you'll have to do a speaker swap. I know for some people the stock speakers are just fine. My mother thought they were ok until she rode in mine. Its all personal preference.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:32 PM
jskeith111
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Velocityvic
2nd Gear

Here's my 05 MCS with White Wheels... They do not look cheap.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rear fog lights and cruise btw if you aren't going to upgrade your seats check out the cloth one's

Last edited by mini on; 06-27-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:33 AM
vtbob
Neutral
thanks all!

We appreciate the input. Will check out the red vs tan color line, and the back up alarm.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Everything is up to you and your wife, and what you can really afford.

When I ordered my car, I really thought that the standard beige headliner looked out of place in the car. I got the black headliner.

The cloth sport seats are great, Not hot and sweaty in summer, not cold and clammy in winter. My only complaint is that the seat heaters are massively hot. anything more than low for 1 min, and you can work for the Swetty nuts company...

If she or you listen to any music, get the HK. It's that much better. (which still isn't saying a lot...)

The auto AC and wipers work great. I was apprehensive before I got it, but they work really well. I've had loaners with the standard stuff. It's sucks... I've always had to futz with them.

Clearbra is a must, unless you like rock chips

I'll never own a car without Xenon headlights, yes, they are that good.

If I were doing it again, and weren't going to wait for the F56, I'd at least get the Connected package, maybe not the full nav. The big speedo in totally useless, since the speed is displayed in the tach. Might as well get something useful like the LCD display... (I guess it only applies if you are also an Apple person...)

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure we can help you spend all your money...lol

Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adaptive headlights also, along with the xenons. Great for 2-lane roads.

Anthracite headliner, is very dark grey/black, with black A-pillar covers. Not expensive, soils less easily, and I think it improves visibility due to the dark A-pillars vs. white'sh.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Goldilocks
6th Gear
I ordered just about everything for my Cricket because I didn't want to say later, "I should have ordered......" I'm very happy with everything!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 PM
blknblu
3rd Gear
Comfort system
HK Radio
Connect package, love it with my Iphone
Xenon Lights
Sunroof - If you like, some hate
Auto AC is nice but could live without
Love my leather sport seats

I you think you might want it, get it because you will kick yourself after and I will cost 3 times a much to install if you can at all

Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
I second the Comfort Access - my wife and I both have it on our Minis and I consider it a must-have. She didn't see the need for it until she got it on hers, now just two weeks later, she's a convert!

I also like the Adaptive Xenons (only $100 and a good option, IMO) and front/rear fog lights.

Mini Connected is pretty awesome, too, if you're a gadget freak and especially if you take long trips...

Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
My only complaint is that the seat heaters are massively hot. anything more than low for 1 min, and you can work for the Swetty nuts company...

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Goldilocks
I ordered just about everything for my Cricket because I didn't want to say later, "I should have ordered......" I'm very happy with everything!
Same here. I think the only option box we didn't check was the compass on the rearview mirror

It's the only car we have ever optioned exactly as we wanted it, so we went a little crazy....

Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I had a chili red/white justa, and liked the colors a lot. Seat heaters are a must. I don't know if they still offer a chromeline package, but on my 08 it classes up the interior to have the chrome bezels (wish I had it).

I'm in Buffalo, and in the summer I ride a bunch with the windows open. I really like the sunroof (yes, I have rattles, and it doesn't open when it is in the sun), just cracking it open really helps the airflow in the car.

I also like the automatic air and premium radio (premium package?).

Personally, I prefer silver wheels on almost any car. None of the wheels (except black maybe) will be easy to clean. Pick the style and color of the wheel that you guys like.

Enjoy and have fun.

Mike