R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 taillight tint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:10 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taillight tint?

I found a do it yourself taillight tint on outmotoring and i was wondering if anyone has tried this? is it easy? and does it turn out good? my local tint shop wants to charge me 120 to tint my taillights and that seems a bit high for such small lights. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:23 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know about you, but where I live people tailgate and generally think a MINI is invisible. I want as MUCH BRAKE light as I can get. I wouldn't be tinting, or doing anything else that would REDUCE the light output.

(in other words, find something else to do...lol)

Old 06-02-2013, 04:31 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here you go...

This module pulses your third brake light to get the attention of those tailgaters. Kind of like what you see on city buses. It pulses 3 or more times before becoming solid red. I installed it on my last mini and it works.

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...ht_pulsar.html

I actually found the you tube video I uploaded of my old car demonstrating it here lol:

Old 06-02-2013, 06:26 AM
<05MINI>
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
i don't know about you, but where i live people tailgate and generally think a mini is invisible. I want as much brake light as i can get. I wouldn't be tinting, or doing anything else that would reduce the light output.

(in other words, find something else to do...lol)
+1

Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 AM
psichick
3rd Gear
tinting taillights is a terrible idea. yeah sure it looks good but it severely limits the ability of others to see the lights. if you're looking to be rear ended this is a great way to go about it.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got that too....

Old 06-02-2013, 08:31 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a few guys around here with "Murdered out" G35/37's with limo tint on the tails. I almost rear ended one. Please do us all a favor and don't dim your brake lights, it's a bad idea.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
$120 is pretty steep. Kavorkian would have done it for free.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
psichick
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
$120 is pretty steep. Kavorkian would have done it for free.
you win the internet

Old 06-03-2013, 03:25 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by psichick
tinting taillights is a terrible idea. yeah sure it looks good but it severely limits the ability of others to see the lights. if you're looking to be rear ended this is a great way to go about it.
+1 but the bolded statement is debatable in my mind

I would spend my money on something else if I were you!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by psichick
2 1/2 years... Haven't been rear ended yet in city driving, country driving or on The Dragon. Your hyperbole is sad.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Just because you haven't been rear ended doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I know idiots who text and drive every day and haven't crashed, does that make it safe?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Just because you haven't been rear ended doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I know idiots who text and drive every day and haven't crashed, does that make it safe?
Doesn't mean it's a bad idea... You imply that tinted tail lights are "idiotic" vis-a-vis your texting reference. Name me one example of a MINI being rear-ended because of tinted tail lights before you issue such a blanket statement condemning the practice. If you can, I'll accept your doltish blanket statement. If not, you have an opinion based on... Nothing.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM
asilvafrompr
1st Gear
Jordan, if your looking at the Lamin-X that is pre-cut, don't do it! I tried and the pre-cut is too small. The Lamin-X is good and last long and looks very cool, my opinion, style and taste! If you like it best is to buy it in sheets and take off the tail light rims and cover the lights corner to corner. Regards

Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by asilvafrompr
Jordan, if your looking at the Lamin-X that is pre-cut, don't do it! I tried and the pre-cut is too small. The Lamin-X is good and last long and looks very cool, my opinion, style and taste! If you like it best is to buy it in sheets and take off the tail light rims and cover the lights corner to corner. Regards
Agreed about the pre-cut Lamin-X. I tried and it about screwed things up. I DID have mine done by a professional tinter. If you have the skill do as Asilvarompr says and buy a sheet and tint it yourself.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:08 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Common sense dictates that concealing your brake lights is a stupid idea. They serve a purpose... people see them light up, they know you're braking. Get it?

If you actually think there is a database somewhere of "cars who've been rear ended or caused drivers to need to panic brake due to tail light tint" I can sift through to find you a citation, well, I'm afraid you're mistaken.

Originally Posted by Melangell
Doesn't mean it's a bad idea... You imply that tinted tail lights are "idiotic" vis-a-vis your texting reference. Name me one example of a MINI being rear-ended because of tinted tail lights before you issue such a blanket statement condemning the practice. If you can, I'll accept your doltish blanket statement. If not, you have an opinion based on... Nothing.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Common sense dictates that concealing your brake lights is a stupid idea. They serve a purpose... people see them light up, they know you're braking. Get it?

If you actually think there is a database somewhere of "cars who've been rear ended or caused drivers to need to panic brake due to tail light tint" I can sift through to find you a citation, well, I'm afraid you're mistaken.
You have an opinion based on... Nothing. No empirical data, no practical experience... again, nothing. You have no idea how much light my tail lights put out with or without the brake lights being lit. You have and OPINION. I, on the other hand have 2 1/2 years of hands-on practical experience in many different driving conditions including a Dragon midnight run or two.

You... An opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up

Me... Practical experience

Arguing experience-v-opinion seriously bores me to tears. Op, do as you want. I'm out. Auf Wiedersehen.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 PM
asilvafrompr
1st Gear
Danny, laws vary but state and so do accidents. Another factor is the area, city, rural, metropolis, country side, etc. If you don't like the tint your opinion, some of us do and have no issues with it.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
People do stupid things without suffering the consequences all the time. There is no empirical data or studies done on a the majority of these behaviors, but that doesn't mean they aren't stupid.

Might as well rattlecan your windscreen black, I can't find any evidence anyone has been hurt doing it. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 PM
asilvafrompr
1st Gear
Danny, if you don't like it but out. Some folks like it and have no issues with it and where the live it's ok issue, legal.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:31 PM
psichick
3rd Gear
not a mini, but my husband had his tail lights tinted on his neon and almost was hit probably 10 times that i know of (i'm sure it was much higher), including by myself, all in a six month time span. those lights came off quick. i was never dumb enough to do it myself.

sorry but you're not going to convince me or anyone with half a brain that this is a good idea, because it's simply not.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Axion
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jordan.burks
I found a do it yourself taillight tint on outmotoring and i was wondering if anyone has tried this? is it easy? and does it turn out good? my local tint shop wants to charge me 120 to tint my taillights and that seems a bit high for such small lights. Thanks for the help!
Buy the vinyl uncut and do it yourself. But add the LEDs to your tails for add security. And maybe the flashing mod to third brake

Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM
asilvafrompr
1st Gear
Jordan, here are some pics so you can think about it more!

Melangell, mods on your MINI ROCK

I can't believe what some people post here....

Let's deal with facts. If it's legal where you live and you like it, go 4 it!

If you don't like it, fine, shut up and but out,

Attached Thumbnails taillight tint?-img_1033.jpg   taillight tint?-img_1032.jpg   taillight tint?-img_1030.jpg  

Last edited by asilvafrompr; 06-05-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM
asilvafrompr
1st Gear
More data/facts uploaded pics for review

Attached Thumbnails taillight tint?-img_1029.jpg   taillight tint?-img_1028.jpg   taillight tint?-img_1027.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 PM
asilvafrompr
1st Gear
one more for the record!

Red one is my Wife's 2013 MC stock acquired Aug 2012. It's actually higher by about between 1" to 1/2" and very noticeable. The Black one is mine, 2011 MC stock but already with a few mods, K&N air intake, Side Marker Housings: Black Jack, Mirror Covers: Black Jack, Ziza LED Interior Lighting Kit, Black headlight rims, taillight rims, and grille, BlackLine Side Marker Lights, on the way, upgrading soon to 17" R111 Black Star Bullet rims! Oh and the idiotic Lamin-x Gunsmoke tint on the headlights and taillights!

Attached Thumbnails taillight tint?-img_1026.jpg  

Quick Reply: R56 taillight tint?