R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 HELP! Check Engine Light, Alta Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Check Engine Light, Alta Intake

Hello,

I just installed the Alta Intake on my 2010 MCS Wednesday night and had no problems. On Thursday (yesterday) my dad borrowed my car and took it from Pittsburgh to Cleveland and back for a business trip (360 miles). The check engine light did not come on at all. This morning I had no problems with it until I left work to come home and it was on?! I got home and popped the hood and noticed the mass air flow sensor was unplugged so I plugged it back in. The check engine light is still on though.

Does anyone know if it will automatically reset itself after I drive a certain number of miles or do I have to take it somewhere to clear the code?

Thanks!
Tom

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM
bigsmittyJAS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try disconnecting the battery, waiting a few minutes and re-connecting. If that doesn't work, go to your local auto parts store and they can clear it.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Originally Posted by bigsmittyJAS
Try disconnecting the battery, waiting a few minutes and re-connecting. If that doesn't work, go to your local auto parts store and they can clear it.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Thank you! I will try disconnecting the battery tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll take it to an out parts store.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by papatom360
Thank you! I will try disconnecting the battery tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll take it to an out parts store.

Get a scanguage!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Get a scanguage!
Rob, I have been looking at those this past week and I think I will get one very soon. Maybe this weekend depending on how tomorrow goes. How do you like yours?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I actually love it a lot. I've had it ever since I bought the car. I usually have it on Oil Temp, Volts, Engine Temp, and Water Temp. It has many other options to choose from and other types of programs on it. I'd recommend it and you can clear most of the CEL signals. Check out WayMotorWorks.com because he has the updated version. Good luck if you choose it!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 AM
papatom360
2nd Gear
I drove the car this morning about 15 miles and the check engine light went off (thank God lol).

Rob, was the ScanGauge easy to locate and install? Did you have to remove any panels and where did you mount it? Sorry for all the questions

Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Rob, was the ScanGauge easy to locate and install? Did you have to remove any panels and where did you mount it? Sorry for all the questions
thet ScanGauge (or any other obd2 computer) is really easy to install.

there is an OBD2 plug right above the drivers left foot under the dash( if you feel around under there you should find it no problem)....you shouldnt have to remove any pannels.

you simply plug the Scangauge into that obd2 port and turn it on.

as for mounting, you can mount it anywhere you like, i know a lot of people like to mount them in front of the tachometer with some velcro or double sided tape......

Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I drove the car this morning about 15 miles and the check engine light went off (thank God lol).

Exactly what Cameron said. I am planning to add a boost gauge and use the flexpod for holding my boost gauge and scanguageII. The girlfriend might as well buy it for me for our special occasion, plus those Bruno Mars tickets weren't cheap lol.

But keep in mind you can mount it anywhere you want.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 PM
papatom360
2nd Gear
Rob and Mcameron,

I picked up the Scangauge2 today at Auto Zone... twice. The first one I purchased did not turn on at all. I went through the troubleshooting steps and it said to check if the auxiliary/cigarette lighter fuse was blown. It was not so I thought it was my car. Then I tried it in my Mom's 2012 Honda CRV and it still didn't work. (I haven't had the best of luck buying parts for my car, see my post on the K&N Typhoon Intake)

So I exchanged it for another one at Auto Zone and it worked perfectly. It's really cool seeing all the different read outs you can get access to! I cycled through a couple and set it on boost (psi), horsepower, water temperature, and mpg. I then drove it around town and took it on the highway. Here are some of the results that I saw:

Water Temperature: 150F to 220F
Horsepower: 2hp idle to 195hp (3rd gear pull)
Boost Vacuum PSI: -11.5 to 11.5psi

I don't know how accurate the HP is but it was pretty cool and impressive. I have only added an Alta intake and hot side tube. I was a little confused/disappointed on the PSI, I thought MCS's were closer to 16psi?

Anyway, I was just wondering what some of your results were like?

Tom

Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Rob and Mcameron,

I picked up the Scangauge2 today at Auto Zone... twice. The first one I purchased did not turn on at all. I went through the troubleshooting steps and it said to check if the auxiliary/cigarette lighter fuse was blown. It was not so I thought it was my car. Then I tried it in my Mom's 2012 Honda CRV and it still didn't work. (I haven't had the best of luck buying parts for my car, see my post on the K&N Typhoon Intake)

So I exchanged it for another one at Auto Zone and it worked perfectly. It's really cool seeing all the different read outs you can get access to! I cycled through a couple and set it on boost (psi), horsepower, water temperature, and mpg. I then drove it around town and took it on the highway. Here are some of the results that I saw:

I don't know how accurate the HP is but it was pretty cool and impressive. I have only added an Alta intake and hot side tube. I was a little confused/disappointed on the PSI, I thought MCS's were closer to 16psi?

Tom

Yes when my car is fully warm I get around 220, but since I installed my Helix I/C I get like 8-10 degrees below that. Horsepower isn't accurate, if it was, then I am getting 197haha. As for boost, MINI's come with 11 or so. So you are getting the right read. If you mod your MINI to get a tune, you could see anywhere from 14-19, then again depends on your tune and mods.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear

im running the Torque app on an android tablet.....but it hooks up and records data just the same as the scangauge.

my water temps are exactly the same as yours.

my max measurable HP was 140 on a mild pull, im confidant with a good strong pull ill achieve more typical numbers.

my boost PSI is ~10-11psi....with overboost numbers of 14psi.